Author Topic: Kenmore Washer - Clothes Soaking Wet after final spin  (Read 2001 times)

Online Blaiser

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Kenmore Washer - Clothes Soaking Wet after final spin
« on: February 21, 2012, 08:25:11 AM »
I went out on a service call yesterday that my customer was complaining about her NEWER SEARS KENMORE WASHER (Top Load) was not getting her clothes dry after the final high speed spin. In fact she stated they were soaking wet and water still remains in the bottom of the tub. Here is what I ran into when I arrived at the house: Washer was in the basement - located right next to a double wash basin with a clogged drain on both sides, this was a very large concrete wash basin. Customer said the landlord had snaked the drain but it got clogged up again and filled both basins with waste washer water almost to the top. I noticed the drain hose from the washer was submerged under the water roughly 1 1/2" inches. I looking into the tub of the washer and noticed water in the bottom of the tub. I took the cabinet off the machine and ran a high speed spin. The washer went into high speed and pump was pumping the water out of the drain hose into the wash basin and the tub was emptying. I lifted the drain hose up and out of the water to watch the washer pump the water out - Nice and STRONG and the tub was empty. I then filled the washer again with a small amount of water and advanced the timer to spin to check the pump again (this time I had the customer watch the washer pump out and empty) but before the customer left I put the drain hose back into the water submerged and showed her that the water is still pumping the water out! Then the washer shut off and she then noticed the water was coming back into the washer ?????

I purposely had her watch what happens when you submerge a drain hose that is above the washer fill line. What had happened here was a reverse siphoning of the WASH BASIN WATER BACK INTO THE WASHER. THE WASHER ACTUALLY A PUMP REVERSING THE PUMP PROCESS !!!

MORAL OF THE STORY - FIX YOUR CLOGGED WASH BASIN AND YOU FIX THE PUMPING AND DRAINING PROBLEM.

I'll post the picture what it looked like (once I figure out how to)

Regards,
Blaiser

Online Blaiser

• Technician
Re: Kenmore Washer - Clothes Soaking Wet after final spin
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 08:26:10 AM »
Here the picture

Offline Washaman

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 09:43:13 AM »
That's nasty. Lol! They do make some pumps with a black flapper to prevent siphoning back in the washer. Wonder is they need one?

Offline bigbuck

• Technician
  • over 30 years repairing appliance
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 11:11:37 AM »
If you did that,  then she would call back & say its leaking. I hope blaiser collected service chg. @ least for checking.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk

Offline ScottyMo1

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 06:38:22 PM »
I had one like that last summer. When I opened the lid on the washer it was full of sewerage. Shut the lid and walked out. Tagged the call as no return.... :P

Offline DerekF

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 07:11:05 PM »
oh dear.  I had one of the service calls too! I was the 3rd tech out, and I figured it out.  None of the others figured it out, as it wasn't backing up into the laundry sink/basin, but back up the plumbing.  I adjust height of drain tube, secured it and told owner to get a plumber.  No call back.   O0

donate
$1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $50

Kenmore Elite Washer won't spin clothes properly

Started by Phoenix

Replies: 9
Views: 8816
Last post January 05, 2009, 05:20:13 AM
by RegUS_PatOff
kenmore clothes washer won't fill with cold water or spin

Started by freedive57

Replies: 11
Views: 5786