Author Topic: GE SxS PSH25PSSCSV  (Read 1472 times)

Offline Diyeng

• VIP Member
GE SxS PSH25PSSCSV
« on: January 23, 2012, 12:48:26 PM »
We have a GE Side by Side here at work that has a problem with the freezer. About once a week we need to remove the 1-2 icicles that form on the inside shelves. The display temp reads -4 for the freezer and 36 for the fridge; there has never been an issue on the fridge side. The fan in the fridge is running however the evaporator fan in the freezer never seems to be on. I read a thread about possibly being the motherboard but want to get some other opinions and try any other troubleshooting before laying out some money for unnecessary parts.
Thanks!

Model PSH25PSSCSV

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: GE SxS PSH25PSSCSV
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 06:06:18 PM »
The motherboard relies on input from sensors called thermistors mounted in each compartment.
This vid shows how to check them:
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Diyeng

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 07:58:25 AM »
Thanks JW, I'll give it a look and get back to you.

Offline Tech2000

• Technician
  • work hard/play hard
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 03:14:31 PM »
Usually with the GE icicles in the freezer, we end up changing the evap fan motor and the motherboard. The board uses DC voltage to control the fan speed and they end up taking each other out.

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 03:25:33 PM »
I agree with Tech2000

Sounds like one I had a problem with the other week. Found another topic that said to replace the board and fan together so that is what I did and that fixed it or at least I have not heard back from them yet.

Here are the parts for your model.

GE Kit Main Mother Board, part number: AP3957581

GE Evaporator Fan Motor, part number: AP3875639

Offline Diyeng

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 09:52:46 AM »
Thanks Guys! If you look back at a post I did back on Oct 4th, I had a similar probelm at home with the "howling fan". Got the MB free, through it in and fixed the problem. I kinda suspected the evap fan was bad but thought of checking the thermo first per the original reply. All good stuff, just have to find some spare time during work to have a look see. I'll let you know what I find.

Offline ApplianceGuru

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 04:25:24 AM »
I have seen both thermistors, and evap-fan/motherboard cause this.

On these GE's if you physically hold the evap fan from spinning, you will burn up the board.  It seems sometimes when the evap fan stops spinning, it takes out the board with it.

Appliance Heating & Air Tech