Author Topic: Whirlpool Dishwasher Model GU940SCGB3 Door Leak  (Read 13158 times)

Offline JimKaran

• VIP Member
Whirlpool Dishwasher Model GU940SCGB3 Door Leak
« on: August 22, 2007, 11:57:18 PM »
Hi AJ,

I have a Model GU940SCGB3 Whirlpool Dishwasher that starts to leak water from the bottom right corner of the washer as soon as it is done filling and a sound like a motor comes on. When the splashing starts the water just runs out from this corner. The problem just started abruptly one day and never was a slow leak. The water just strams or gushes out. The door gasket's top surface is smooth with a raised outer lip which is also smooth. There is an "AJ" Gallery picture on your website of the interior of a machine that is similar to mine. There is no lever on this machine to, let's say, close the door more tightly after it latches. The leak occurs even after checking that the door latch "catches".

After taking off the toe panel and finding it dry, I am sure the leak is coming from the area of the door. Since the water is coming out the right side I don't suppose the door vent felt seal is the problem. I'm not sure how the rinse aid dispenser on the right side of the door works or whether it could be related to the problem. I cleaned off both "tank deflectors" and switched their positions and that did not help things at all. I suspect the problem must be the door gasket and maybe also the tank deflectors. What are your thoughts?

If you think the door gasket needs replacing, could you please tell me how to cleanly remove the original and how to install the replacement?

Thanks!

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Re: Whirlpool Dishwasher Model GU940SCGB3 Door Leak
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 07:01:49 AM »
Hi JimKaran,

I would look around the pump cover under the lower spray arm.

A lot of times I find the screws that hold the pump cover down have come loose and then the cover lifts up enough that the cover seal (#13 in the a attachment) will blow out from the water pressure.

Without the cover seal in place some water will get shot towards the bottom of the door.

If the seal is not in to bad of shape you can take the cover off and put the gasket back in place.

Here is a new seal for that model dishwasher.

WHIRLPOOL Pump Cover Seal, part number: AP2904413

« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 07:28:14 AM by AJ »
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline JimKaran

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 03:58:30 PM »
Amazing! I took out the bottom shelf, unscrewed the lower sprayer blade and removed the blade, and tightened the screws each about a half turn all the way around the pump cover. Then I tested the dishwasher, and voila! No leaks in sight! Thanks!

While examining the plate that has to be screwed down I noticed that part #9 on the schematic you referenced seems to be some sort of filter with a fine mesh screen. In two places the edge of the screen has lifted up a bit. I have two further questions:
1) What is the function of the screen and what consequences might ensue if it is not replaced?
2) If this screen were to be replaced, would the pump cover seal also need replacing?
3) If a new pump cover seal were installed, would the use of a sealant be called for?

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 04:38:06 PM »
Amazing! I took out the bottom shelf, unscrewed the lower sprayer blade and removed the blade, and tightened the screws each about a half turn all the way around the pump cover. Then I tested the dishwasher, and voila! No leaks in sight! Thanks!

That's great! Glad to hear you got it fixed.

1) What is the function of the screen and what consequences might ensue if it is not replaced?

The screen stops food and stuff from being pumped around the dishwasher when it's cleaning. When the water is pumped out the stuff in the screen gets pumped out to. The dishwasher will clean better with it replaced.

2) If this screen were to be replaced, would the pump cover seal also need replacing?

I never like to use old seals over again if I can help it. If you are going to replace the screen it would be a good time to replace the seal too.

3) If a new pump cover seal were installed, would the use of a sealant be called for?

No, nothing needed. It just goes in a grove and the pump cover goes over the top of it. It gets sandwiched in place.

Here is the Filter/Screen iconfor your dishwasher.

Offline JimKaran

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 11:40:31 PM »
Thank you for the answers to my last questions!

Bad news: I just ran the dishwasher and the leak is back! Previously I had only checked the operation on first fill and pump start. Questions:
1) Would a thread sealer on the screws help? The screws seem fairly tight, though. Perhaps the pump seal is "scrunched" a bit.
2) Should the screws be torqued to a certain setting?
3) Could the problem be the tear in the front of the filter? Isn't the water traveling down through the filter? I don't see how that could be the problem.

Your thoughts?

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 06:41:07 AM »

1) Would a thread sealer on the screws help? The screws seem fairly tight, though. Perhaps the pump seal is "scrunched" a bit.

No, you should not need any thread sealer. You really need to take the top off and look at the seal to make sure it's in place.

2) Should the screws be torqued to a certain setting?

No, just tighten by hand.

3) Could the problem be the tear in the front of the filter? Isn't the water traveling down through the filter? I don't see how that could be the problem.

No, the the tear in the filter would not make it leak out the door.

Does it seem to leak out the door with some force behind the water or does the water just drip out of the door?

I would take the top off of the pump and take a look at the seal to make sure it is in place. Many times they get pushed out of the place from the water pressure.

Let us know what you find there....

Offline JimKaran

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 11:43:09 PM »
Again, thanks for answering my questions!

The water flows, not drips, out of the lower right corner of the door.

I removed the pump cover today and found the seal in very good condition. When the seal was cleaned of some whitish deposits,  carefully replaced with the black rubber edge slightly higher than the groove in which it fits, and the screws firmly torqued by hand, the overflow in the right corner returned. The water does not spurt out but flows out quickly with a pint coming out within a minute.

The screws for the pump cover are "staninless" steel but show some rusting under the head area on the screw shaft.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007, 07:20:00 AM »
Hmm, something else you could check is the vent screen, #12 in the diagram.
You can just snap it out of the door by using a flate blade screwdriver.

I have seen were hard water deposits will build up in the screen and then instead of the water hitting the screen and running back inside the dishwasher the water runs down the inside of the door.

Also check the holes in the spray arm to make sure they are clean. If stuff gets in the spary arm holes it can aim the water towards the bottom of the door instead of straight up.

If you don't find anything there then it's time to remove the front panel of the dishwasher so you can look for the leak when it is running.

Kind of hard to tell from the diagram, but I think the colored panel is held in place with a plastic strip at the bottom of the washer. Put your hand in the center of the colored panel and try to slid it up. It will only slide up 1/8" or so and as you hold it there peal off the black plastic strip at the bottom of the panel.

Once the bottom strip is removed you can work the colored door panel out of your way so you can see inside the door.

Shut the door and run it with the outside panel off so you can look for the leak.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2007, 07:32:47 AM »
On second thought you colored panel maybe held in place with the screws along side the inside door panel.

Does your model have the nozzel cap on top of the spray arm as in the attachment below?

If so take a look at it to make sure there is not a hole in the side of it.

I will try and find the service manual for that model and post it here.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2007, 07:42:07 AM »
Here is the service manual for your dishwasher.

http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?action=downloads

« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 05:59:35 PM by AJ »

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 11:39:39 AM »
Any luck getting the leak in your dishwasher repaired?

« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 11:41:13 AM by AJ »

Video: Whirlpool Dishwasher Door Leak - How to replace pump seal.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 7611
Last post September 13, 2007, 06:45:17 PM
by AJ
Whirlpool Dishwasher Door Leak

Started by yogifredbrown

Replies: 1
Views: 2412
Last post July 02, 2014, 11:11:12 AM
by ZingZing
Whirlpool dishwasher runs great, but door leaks like crazy