Author Topic: Complicated Kenmore washer with ATC,warm water comes in when cold wash selected  (Read 3442 times)

Offline shillion

• Technician
  • I have been repairing appliances since 1983
My customer has a Kenmore washer with ATC(automatic temperature control) and always fills with warm water when cold wash is selected.She has to shut off hot water to get cold wash.There are so many water valves and so complicated I cannot understand how the different water valves are controlled.The model # is:110.C28932790.This is a Canadian model and may not come up in a web search.I cannot repair the problem because I cannot find the repair manual for this machine.Anybody has any idea,Please?

Offline scrapiron

• Technician
  • Service Tech Since 1974
Just delete the "C" from the model#. You can look up whatever parts you need at Sears.com . Click on the "Parts Direct" link at the top of the home page. The Tech sheet (part# 3951186) should be inside of the washer console if you need service info. NOTE:  On Kenmore washers with ATC, unless there is a "tap cold" selection (cold fill only) on the water temp switch, the control MAY add some hot at times during a "cold" water fill, giving the impression of a warm fill. The hot or cold valves are energized independently by the ATC circuit board. The temperature of the water entering the washer is monitored by the temperature sensor (thermistor), which is located in the water hose between the fill valve and the fill spout. The valve on the right (facing the washer) is the water inlet valve. The valve assembly on the left is the dispenser water supply valve.

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
I have attached a copy of the tech sheet part# 3951186 for you.

Here are two parts list for your washer from AJ's appliance parts affiliates.

Replacement parts for KENMORE 11028932790 | AppliancePartsPros.com

Kenmore Washing Machine Model 110.28932790 Parts from RepairClinic.com

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE ATC COLD WATER FILL!!!

Look at the tech sheet on page 4.  It shows that during ATC fills, the cold water temperature has to be around 75F.  The reason for the warm water is to help dissolve the detergent in the wash.  If you only have straight cold water, the detergent will not dissolve properly and will just stay in it's powder form and get rinsed away.  This is the way the manufacturers have it set. 
Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
If the cust don't want any hot water entering they can simply shut off the hot water supply right?
Or would not having hot water on affect these new fangled wonders?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 12:10:44 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
If they get out of auto temp control, then yes they can fill just cold water. 

Offline shillion

• Technician
I sincerely thank you all for giving me such useful information about this complicated washer that is supplying warm water even when cold wash was selected and the ATC was not used.This happened in May 2011.I just told the customer to shut off the hot water if she must have cold wash.I am going back to see her in a few days to hopefully make it work properly and make a few dollars.I gave up on this machine because it has so many dispensing water valves and not enough info about what valve should open and when.I am very glad that I posted this problem to ask for help.I will post the results after I give it one more try.Thanks again guys! :)

Offline shillion

• Technician
This is Shillion again.I went to check another washer of the same model #,and found that this washer was doing the same thing as the previous one.So I think "wildimaginations"was correct and I did not have to go back to fix that washer.Thanks for the tech sheets and all the suggestions.You guys are GREAT! :tiphat:

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
Awww shucks!!!  Now you went and made my head all big and my ego all crazy.   :D   Boo Yah!!!

Duet washer using cold water rinse when warm is selected

Started by Connie40023

Replies: 8
Views: 3142
Last post May 18, 2010, 02:01:12 AM
by Wedgeman55
Kenmore 90 Series washer: Cold water does not fill wash, but fills rinse

Started by purnell1

Replies: 4
Views: 1006
Last post December 02, 2013, 07:52:49 AM
by purnell1
Topload Washer update- "Hot water may enter when cold selected"

Started by Repair-man

Replies: 0
Views: 1378
Last post September 01, 2008, 03:48:35 PM
by Repair-man
kenmore clothes washer won't fill with cold water or spin

Started by freedive57

Replies: 11
Views: 6324
Last post October 22, 2009, 12:05:32 AM
by freedive57
Kenmore 70 Series Washer - no cold water, weak spin cycle?

Started by Q451990

Replies: 10
Views: 4900
Last post January 28, 2010, 08:31:18 PM
by viking351
lint on clothes at end of wash. kenmore washer top load

Started by KMZK

Replies: 3
Views: 3518
Last post March 11, 2008, 10:59:49 PM
by BrntToast