Author Topic: Frigidaire Range GLEF396CSD right front burner does not cycle off  (Read 2909 times)

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Frigidaire Range Model GLEF396CSD

Customer said the right front burner on the cooktop was stuck on high and would never cycle off.

Found relay control board at fault, part # AP4499660

FRIGIDAIRE 316239403KITK Control - Electrical, AP4499660

Replacement parts for FRIGIDAIRE GLEF396CSD Frigidaire/electric Range
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline shillion

• Technician
  • I have been repairing appliances since 1983
Re: Frigidaire Range GLEF396CSD right front burner does not cycle off
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 01:30:32 AM »
 :embarassed: I am an appliance repairman in Canada.I often replace the defective relays in ERC's rather than replacing the whole relay board to save the customer money and the waiting time.That's when the problem was an identified worn out relay.I carry different types of relays of different voltages and a high heat soldering iron and solder sucker.I wonder whether it's normal practice in the trade to replace the relays.The successful rate is very high.

Online ScottyMo1

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 05:40:20 AM »
There was a service bulletin out on this model for that problem, I think it was released in 09, can't remember for sure.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 09:46:16 AM »
Shillion that is interesting. Would love to see a vid of the repair.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 09:59:18 AM »
The successful rate is very high.
That's great shillion, but how many different relays do you carry?

My success rate after I replace a board is 100% :)

If I try to repair the board and have a call back later then I have to stand behind it.

If the new board fails there is parts warranty and the customer does not see it as my fault.

Seems anytime I try and save the customer a buck I come out on the short end of the deal.

As a professional that does this for a living I can't afford to come out on the short end of the deal to many times.

Offline shillion

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 01:32:49 AM »
Hello Whirlpooltech,I understand about the warranty problem.Other unrelated relays may break down after defective one is repaired.That would have been bad luck.I would have to explain to the customer about this co-incident.My guardian angel prevented this bad things from happening to me so far.As I replied to JWWebster,the relay board would have cost Can$416,most customers would not go for the repair.It would cost him Can$140 if I replace the relay for him.I agree I would have to give a warranty.This relay board would be guaranted for only 90 days by the manufacturer if I supply a brand new one.And yet I can guarantee my relay for a year,may be labour for six months.Thanks for the input.       Shillion :)

Offline shillion

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 01:51:37 AM »
Whirlpooltech,sorry I forgot to answer your question about how many relays I carry with me.The most common dc coil voltages are:9v;12v;24v.There are many configurations and ampere ratings.I probably have 10 different ones in my tool box.I would have to order in if I do not have what I need for a particular board.I understand it's not company policy to replace parts on a board.I am an independent repairman so I can do this sort of thing as long as it's safe.If we send these boards out for repair(when a new one is too expensive or no longer availabe),they do the same thing,ie replacing the relays.Cheers!         Shillion :)

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 12:05:30 PM »
Great information. Thank you for posting.
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline jayarmstrong1

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 06:30:40 AM »
this oven may be part of a recall from frigidaire. parts should be free. have customer contact frigidaire to verify their model#/serial# is part of the recall. i just did one yesterday.

Offline JADsvc1

• Technician
  • 25 yrs Frigidaire/W-W/Electrolux svc mgr
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 12:02:41 PM »
This model (GLEF396Cxx) is listed in a 2008 bulletin #CK0803 - 'Moisture Migration into (ESEC), Electronic Surface Element (Rotary) Controls'. Serial range is VF201xxxxx thru VF806xxxxx. Not a recall but a service kit is called for under P/N 5304468171. It's a Moisture Kit which includes a number of self-adhesive foil and foam seals with instructions. The cause is listed as 'Moisture migration into the backguard controls during heavy use while cooking foods with high moisture content as with boiling water.' The kit seals the backguard from excess moisture so it doesn't short out the controls. That is one possible issue.
Having is not always so desirable as wanting . . .

Offline shillion

• Technician
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 04:33:11 AM »
Thank you Jadsvc1 & Jayarmstrong for the info about the service kit for that model,I found it very useful to know about the cause of the switch damage due to moisture migration.That would help me explain to the customer and know what to do to avoid the same problem.That's very helpful to the repairman who is not affiliated with the Frigidaire company.Great info.

Offline Rick32k

• Technician
How do you get service bullitins?im a new appliance repair start up.anybody got any ideas on getting your name out there.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
ESEC5 info:
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Hi Rick,

How do you get service bullitins?

You get them from the manufactures websites.
Many manufactures only allow authorized services to access their websites.
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline plochhead.

• Technician
:embarassed: I am an appliance repairman in Canada.I often replace the defective relays in ERC's rather than replacing the whole relay board to save the customer money and the waiting time.That's when the problem was an identified worn out relay.I carry different types of relays of different voltages and a high heat soldering iron and solder sucker.I wonder whether it's normal practice in the trade to replace the relays.The successful rate is very high.
After you repair the relay board "You" not the manufacture are liable for any damages and lawsuits caused by that relay board. Best to replace the board or give an estimate for replacement and collect your call

Frigidaire Range Front Panel Removal

Started by MarinerDaddy

Replies: 11
Views: 7648
Last post May 16, 2009, 03:34:09 PM
by JWWebster
Changing Burner on Frigidaire Dual Fuel Range Cooktop

Started by sapp4l

Replies: 1
Views: 1652
Last post March 14, 2010, 09:31:58 AM
by BrntToast
Frigidaire Gas Range - bake burner lights but does not come back on when hot

Started by JimRice

Views: 1848
Last post August 21, 2011, 05:16:20 PM
by jumptrout51
Kitchen Aid Glass Top Range KERC507YWH2 Right Front Burner Dead

Started by svmanager

Views: 1766
Last post December 19, 2011, 08:43:15 PM
by AJ
Whirlpool Range RF3020XKQ2 right front burner not working.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 1271
Last post December 28, 2011, 08:21:20 AM
by AJ
Frigidaire electric range getting a F7 fault code on top burner

Started by tagarman

Replies: 2
Views: 1643
Last post May 20, 2013, 07:20:43 PM
by tagarman