Author Topic: Kenmore Model 80 washer coupler/tranny issues  (Read 1332 times)

Offline Ken More

• VIP Member
Kenmore Model 80 washer coupler/tranny issues
« on: January 08, 2012, 06:25:34 PM »
Hey there -

I just replaced the drive coupler unit on my old Model 80 washer - the old one had disintegrated and the repair was easy and went well, or so I thought.

Tested it with an empty tub - everything sounded and smelled fine. Threw in a 1/2 load of towels and it worked great, except I heard a 'thunk' sound when the cycle was transitioning from wash to rinse. At this point I started to smell a little bit of a rubber smell but I had chalked that up to little bits of the old coupler getting into the motor housing and burning off as it was heating up. I had vacuumed out the motor housing of all the rubber dust I could before reassembly, so there really wasn't much if any rubber dust left over.

The rest of the wash was uneventful, so I threw in a second larger load and the same thunk occurred during transition from wash to rinse. The smell was still there but otherwise everything was fine. Load finishes, so I throw in one more 1/2 load.

This time I stuck around to hear the noise during the transition and it was as loud as the other two times, but during the spin cycle I detected a VERY strong burning smell so I shut down the machine and unplugged it from the wall. I removed the cabinet and started sniffing around the various parts as best as I could. The motor was still hot but not really smelly at all - the pump had a bit of the burning smell to it but nothing strong enough to suggest it was the culprit.

So - is it my transmission? At this point I am ready to throw in the towel if it is an expensive repair - the washer was bought in 1999 and has been absolutely trouble-free since last week when the coupler issue surfaced.

Your advice is greatly appreciated!

Motor Coupling Part # 285753A

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Kenmore Model 80 washer coupler/tranny issues
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 07:11:47 PM »
Did you make sure the new coupler was flush with both the motor shaft and the transmission shaft?
Did you lay the machine down to replace the coupler or leave it standing upright?
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline Ken More

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 07:26:41 PM »
Did you make sure the new coupler was flush with both the motor shaft and the transmission shaft?
Did you lay the machine down to replace the coupler or leave it standing upright?

The two plastic 'brackets' were flush mounted to the ends of either spindle and the rubber coupler was properly seated and the motor sat flush to the mounting bracket when I was reattaching the motor mounting clips. It felt really secure when I buttoned it all up.

I did all of this with the washer upright.

One thing I forgot to add - I heard a high-pitched whirring noise 2 or 3 different times during the rinse and spin cycles, I can't pinpoint when those noises occurred but it was happening when I started to smell the smoke and shut it down. The tub completely drained, so I guess that rules out the pump right?

Thanks very much for your prompt reply! 

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 08:03:30 PM »
Check very thoroughly between the 2 tubs for a stuck garment.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline Ken More

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 09:27:11 PM »
Check very thoroughly between the 2 tubs for a stuck garment.

Nothing there.

donate
$1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $50

kenmore washer series 70 model 110.20702990 won,t drain

Started by HORN 34

Replies: 1
Views: 1605
Last post February 21, 2009, 01:22:44 PM
by JWWebster
Kenmore 90 Series Washer with Spin Cycle issues

Started by B_con

Replies: 2