Author Topic: Maytag Neptune Bearing Replacement Project.  (Read 8777 times)

Offline schaffersapplian

• Technician
  • Every action has a reaction
    • Facebook
Maytag Neptune Bearing Replacement Project.
« on: January 05, 2012, 06:09:53 PM »
A good friend of mine asked me if i would look at his Neptune Washer.  I go take the back panel of the machine off and see that the bearings have sprayed all over, the drum dropped and the belt broke.  The spin pulley was tilted and cut threw the outer tub.   Luckily enough i saved a outer tub that was in relativity good shape out of another neptune machine with a bad bearing.

I have never done a bearing replacement on one of these tubs before, But am going to attempt to change just the bearings, seal and spinner support.

I did my Research right off of this website and gathered enough information to properly set in new bearings.

I found bearing sizes on this  thread - [size=78%]http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?topic=7309.msg39655#msg39655[/size]

I found great instructions on how to make your own bearing puller in AJ's Gallery here -  [size=78%]http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?action=gallery;cat=24[/size]

I decided not to order the Maytag bearings, and to order a ABEC-3 bearing instead after reading that they should hold up better.   The bearings part #'s and  sizes are, Front- 6207-2RS  35x72x17, Rear 6206-2RS 30x62x16.  They costed 13.95 for the pair with free shipping, cheaper then my cost on Maytag bearings threw my part supplier.

I have not received the bearings yet, but i did remove the old seal and bearings out of the old tub using a punch and hammer. I removed the rear bearing first by pounding the punch from the inside of the tub outward.  Next i removed the seal with a flat blade screwdriver.  Then i flipped the tub over and used the punch again to bang out the front bearing.  Surprisingly came apart verry easily.

I took some picture's to show you my bearing tool, and the tub and bearings so far.  I will update this post as soon as my bearing come in.  Hope this helps someone out in the future.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 06:13:14 PM by schaffersapplian »
Authorized Samsung, Electrolux, Whirlpool, GE, Fisher Paykal, and Maytag Servicer with over 10 years experience.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Re: Maytag Neptune Bearing Replacement Project.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 06:44:36 PM »
 O0
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline bigbuck

• Technician
  • over 30 years repairing appliance
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 07:35:04 PM »
sweet,  now how much would you charge for the total job?

Offline schaffersapplian

• Technician
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 07:57:13 PM »
im not sure yet, this is gonna be a trial and error run.  Im just charging my friend for parts.  I'm more into the learning experience at this point never doing it before.  I would assume you could get between 250 and 300 for parts and labor and still be able to sell the job. 
Authorized Samsung, Electrolux, Whirlpool, GE, Fisher Paykal, and Maytag Servicer with over 10 years experience.

Offline niobrara

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 08:30:59 PM »
This is interesting, I hope you keep us updated after the repair. No worry's on the shaft ?

Offline schaffersapplian

• Technician
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 08:47:14 PM »
I will def keep you guys posted.  I also am gonna replace the spin support part # w10181639

Offline tgoods

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 10:28:44 AM »
Where did you get your bearings?  I'm going on three years on the bearing replacement on my Neptune.  I used a spider with the legs cut off and a sledge hammer to drive bearings on.  Doing it this way puts more stress on the bearing because of pounding on the inner race.  It doesn't seem to have hurt the bearings, though.  If you think about it, we put the same kind of stress to motor and transmission bearings every time we replace a coupler on a direct drive washer.

Offline schaffersapplian

• Technician
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 07:29:11 PM »
found a company off of eBay, called them direct   Fremont Industrial supply llc   phone # 903-330-8353  paid 13.95 with free shipping.  Ordered them Tuesday, still arnt here yet though

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 07:56:53 AM »
When your get your new seal Kit in (GENUINE OEM FSP MAYTAG NEPTUNE LIP SEAL KIT 12002022) you'll more than likely use the thinner of the two seals (they give you two) Older models and newer models. Don't be confused you WILL NOT use both of them! Maytag used to manufacture the seal specifically (12001478 but it's been discontinued). Put the fatter one aside and save it for a rainy day. Also when you pull the bearings in don't forget to put the sleeve back between the two bearings. Make sure the sleeve is aligned perfectly or you'll have a hell of a time getting the spider back in. It would be a great while you have the bearings out to take a wire wheel on a drill and clean the inside inner bearing housing and seal housing with the wire wheel, along with the base of the spider to remove all dried up detergent The bearings should pull in with no issues. Make sure you also remove the old seal and washer from the bottom of the Spider. Hope this helps.

Part # 12002022 Lip Seal Kit, AP4009088

Offline schaffersapplian

• Technician
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 07:49:04 PM »
I had the chance to install the bearings and seal kit into the tub today.  Went in pretty darn easy for what it was.  I bought that wire wheel kit for my drill tonight from sears.  It was 18 bucks and had just about every wire wheel I will ever use in it.  It worked like a champ.   Tomorrow is the big day when I install the tub into the machine with the bad bearings.  More photos to come.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 10:20:09 AM »
Awesome
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Maytag Neptune MAH4000AWW Bearing Replacement (loud noise during spin)

Started by TonyWilliams

Replies: 6
Views: 11787
Last post December 11, 2011, 09:51:57 PM
by AJ
Maytag Neptune Spin Problems after Bearing Replacement

Started by johnny_a

Replies: 8
Views: 3409
Last post April 02, 2013, 08:17:35 PM
by tgoods
Maytag Frontloader bearing replacement