I think the drain pump on my LG WD3274RHD
washer/dryer combo unit is heading south.
It's not draining the water when it should be in the cycle. Rather, it isn't draining about 95% of the time. It does try. Instead the motor makes a noise that is hard to describe... the closest I can come is the sound made when pushing air through your front teeth with your tongue. Not that sharp, though; it undulates but there are no clicking sounds. The other 5% of the time, the motor kicks in after a few seconds of that noise and the water is drained as expected.
Because it does work a small percentage of the time, I'm wondering if there's something in the pump. It could be my hair, which is quite long (almost to my butt) and fine and which would easily escape the trap.
Things I have done:
- checked the trap... nothing.
- checked the drain hose and connections... no kinks, all in good order (and draining properly when the pump does work)
- cleaned around door gasket and drain hole entry (no blockage... I had cleaned this thoroughly some months ago and intermittently as lint and bits of stuff collected)
- used pipe cleaner in same drain hole... came up dirty but not much else.
- downloaded the WD3274 Service Repair Manual
At this point my next step to review the service manual and then, if possible, try to remove and/or examine the drain pump assembly. I wanted to post here first in case someone has compelling reasons for me to do something else instead.
Does anyone have any advice or suggestions? I'm not an appliance repair tech, just a handy mrs. fix-it.