Author Topic: LG WD-3274RHD Washer/Dryer combo unit - drain pump not pumping  (Read 3401 times)

Offline teal

• VIP Member
Hi all,

I think the drain pump on my LG WD3274RHD washer/dryer combo unit is heading south.

It's not draining the water when it should be in the cycle. Rather, it isn't draining about 95% of the time. It does try. Instead the motor makes a noise that is hard to describe... the closest I can come is the sound made when pushing air through your front teeth with your tongue. Not that sharp, though; it undulates but there are no clicking sounds. The other 5% of the time, the motor kicks in after a few seconds of that noise and the water is drained as expected.

Because it does work a small percentage of the time, I'm wondering if there's something in the pump. It could be my hair, which is quite long (almost to my butt) and fine and which would easily escape the trap.

Things I have done:
 - checked the trap... nothing.
 - checked the drain hose and connections... no kinks, all in good order (and draining properly when the pump does work)
 - cleaned around door gasket and drain hole entry (no blockage... I had cleaned this thoroughly some months ago and intermittently as lint and bits of stuff collected)
 - used pipe cleaner in same drain hole... came up dirty but not much else.
 - downloaded the WD3274 Service Repair Manual

At this point my next step to review the service manual and then, if possible, try to remove and/or examine the drain pump assembly. I wanted to post here first in case someone has compelling reasons for me to do something else instead.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions? I'm not an appliance repair tech, just a handy mrs. fix-it.

Thanks!  :D

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: LG WD-3274RHD Washer/Dryer combo unit - drain pump not pumping
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 09:38:52 PM »
 I have found strings and junk in electric pumps. Most of these pumps come apart fairly easy. Get the pump off there and bust it open is what I would do. Get whatever I find out of it, oil it with zoomspout oil. Put it all back together. Here is one I took apart and found strings in. Not your model but you get the point.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline teal

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 05:03:35 PM »
Thanks for the help. It's nice to know I'm on the right path. :)

I took the pump apart. It seems that the impeller is capable of moving separately from the shaft. I'm guessing this is the source of the problem since there's nothing else I can see. No debris or hair.

Before I go and get another pump assembly... the impeller shouldn't be able to do that, right?

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 05:16:14 PM »

Before I go and get another pump assembly... the impeller shouldn't be able to do that, right?

Right, you need a new pump motor.

Here is the one for your model washer.

Pump Motor Part # 4681EA2001T
Hope you find our website helpful.

LG TROMM WASHER DRYER COMBO

Started by cammy

Replies: 1
Views: 4437
Last post March 06, 2008, 07:46:35 PM
by JWWebster
3363394 Whirlpool Direct Drive Washer Water Drain Pump

Started by AJ