Author Topic: My repaired washer ain't agitatin'  (Read 1585 times)

Offline sofasurfer

• VIP Member
My repaired washer ain't agitatin'
« on: December 28, 2011, 11:18:05 PM »
I think something is happening cause when it was in wash cycle I think I saw the agitator moving but it was such a minute amount it didn't register with me. So I want to try again but I am tired of filling it with water. How can I make it think it has water in it. Bypass the level switch in some way or what?

I know that when I put the tranny back in I ran it with my drill motor and I did have spin and I did have agitate. I now have only spin. I also have fill and drain. So, there must be something obvious if I only knew what to look at. I know that the parts between the lower and upper agitator are in rough shape. And the dogs have no teeth left on them. But that should not effect the lower agitator, should it?

I also replaced the shut off in the wall, which was leaking and badly corroded. I need to get new hoses tomorrow. The current ones look like they could blow at any minute.

Model KAWE850VAL1

Offline sofasurfer

• VIP Member
Re: My repaired washer ain't agitatin'
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 08:13:50 PM »
I removed the tranny again. I turned it again with the drill motor. Was locked up in the clockwise direction. So I'm thinking I broke a gear again. I opened the tranny. Nothing broke. Turning the coupler by hand I see everything seeming to work fine. The only thing I noticed is that I HAD THE SPIN TUBE THRUST WASHER  (#2) UNDER, INSTEAD OF ON TOP OF THE SPIN TUBE SUPPORT RING (#3).  I do not know if I had the clutch orientated properly.
Would the follower cam and the agitator cam be the culprits?
While I have it apart I need some things to look for.

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 08:17:48 PM »
So I want to try again but I am tired of filling it with water. How can I make it think it has water in it. Bypass the level switch in some way or what?

If you switch the T & P wires around on the water level switch it will think it's full of water.

Not sure what to tell you on the rest of it.

Offline schaffersapplian

• Technician
  • Every action has a reaction
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 09:41:30 PM »
If your drive motor is turning, and you do not have Agitate, The only possible thing it could be is the Transmission.  The placement of the clutch, spin tube, washer's have no effect on making this sucker agitate.   Good luck
Authorized Samsung, Electrolux, Whirlpool, GE, Fisher Paykal, and Maytag Servicer with over 10 years experience.

Offline sofasurfer

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 10:34:27 PM »
I have notice something that needs some clarification. In the video at go to the 4:15 spot on the video. You are looking at the bottom of the shaft. The 2 parts...the #13 follower cam and the #14 agitator cam (using the part diagram). You see the #13 follower cam toward the bottom of the shaft and the #14 agitator cam below it (toward the top of the cam. This is how I had them installed.

Now, if you look at the part diagram at http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;pic=820 you will see that they are reversed with the #14 agitator cam toward the bottom of the shaft.

I reinstalled the parts in the other orientation and it seems to have a more logical effect on how things operate.

So, do you see what I am saying? Am I correct the the video is differant than the diagram? Which is correct?

Offline sofasurfer

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 05:17:18 PM »
Well, I am now a washer repairman. Its all back together (properly :D ) and working good  O0

The problem WAS that I reassembled it according to the video above. That video was made from a gearbox that had been previously disassembled and reassembled improperly. When he first takes the agitator cam and the follower cam off they are already in the wrong order.

Anyway, that made all the difference. After trouble shooting that problem I actually almost completely understand how the gearbox switches from agitate to spin  :) but not quite  ???

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 05:23:51 PM »
The problem WAS that I reassembled it according to the video above. That video was made from a gearbox that had been previously disassembled and reassembled improperly. When he first takes the agitator cam and the follower cam off they are already in the wrong order.

That sucks, you should contact him and let him know.

I bet you know more about that gear box then I do, lol...

Glad you got it working, thanks for the update.  O0

Happy New Year!!!

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 06:49:56 PM »
I have 3 or 4 of these trannys out back. Tomorrow I might just do an autopsy and post some photos
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline sofasurfer

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 07:55:07 PM »
Sounds like a plan. Glad I could contribute for once instead of just using. :)

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 08:01:59 PM »

Sounds like a plan. Glad I could contribute for once instead of just using. :)

Thanks,  O0
Hope you find our website helpful.

I repaired our washer

Started by tommyboy

Replies: 1
Views: 1072
Last post October 04, 2008, 08:21:56 PM
by Al Capone
Maytag Neptune washer MAH4000AWW

Started by Sue

Replies: 8
Views: 9240
Last post February 09, 2013, 07:41:01 AM
by def
Frigidaire Front Load washer making noise.

Started by curtis

Replies: 3
Views: 8193
Last post July 05, 2007, 09:25:04 PM
by AJ
Repair Guide: Whirlpool Direct Drive Washer - No agitate or spin

Started by AJ

Replies: 13
Views: 29487
Last post January 02, 2009, 01:09:38 PM
by AJ
Noisey Washer