Author Topic: GE Profile Refrigerator PDS22SISBLSS Problems  (Read 3760 times)

Offline Donnyy61

• VIP Member
GE Profile Refrigerator PDS22SISBLSS Problems
« on: December 26, 2011, 10:20:56 PM »
This posting is for a service manual for the GE Profile Refrigerator PDS22SISBLSS.  Local GE service people (Flick Brothers Electric - Bloomsburg, PA) are just parts replacers.  The say they don't have manuals,  don't know how to put the frige into diagnostics, or how to interpret the codes.  So far they have replaced the mother board three times and the freezer and refrigerator thermistors.  The first board due to condenser fan not running.  The initial problem still exists with varying frequency.  Both frige and freezer start to rise in temperature.  Two more mother boards and two thermistors and still an expensive box that does not keep cold.

I previously replaced the motor run capacitor due to very high motor current (7 amps - locked rotor).  After replacing capacitor motor current is less than 1 amp.

Since on vacation today, I removed freezer hardware and evaporator cover.  The evaporator is just about a solid block of ice.  This is why no cooling with the fan running on high speed.  But, still does not explain why.  Checked evap heater and thermodisk, in series, with 31 ohms resistance.  Found a place on the web that says it should be 37 ohms.  Seems close enough.

Found another thermistor buried in the ice, attached to evaporator tubing.  Green tech data schematic, from underneath the frige, shows three thermistors.  With frige off and defrosted, measured resistance back to mother board J1.  FF1 thermistor= 5.5 kohms, FZ thermistor = 5.7kohms, Evap thermistor reads 17.9 kohms.  Ambient temperature in kitchen about 74 degrees F.  Found table on internet for thermistors.  5k ohms is OK.  17.9 kohms is about 28 degrees F.  Hmmmm something is different here.  Maybe bad thermistor!!!!

The Evaporator thermistor was not replaced by Flick Brothers!  I don't think they know it is there!

I have an associates degree in electronics and can understand this technology, if the proper manuals are in hand.  Can anyone help?

Now that I have told my story maybe the website will let me download another manual.

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
Re: GE Profile Refrigerator PDS22SISBLSS Problems
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 10:39:12 PM »
I'm no GE expert, but know a thing or two about refrigerator. Just about ready to call it a night, but wanted to add my thoughts.

I removed freezer hardware and evaporator cover.  The evaporator is just about a solid block of ice.  This is why no cooling with the fan running on high speed.  But, still does not explain why.

This would be a defrost problem. The coils when working normally would have a light even coating of frost and before the frost got so thick that air could not pass through the coils the refrigerator should go into defrost and melt the frost off by turning off the compressor and turning on the defrost heater. After the defrost cycle is done the heater turns off and the compressor starts up again.

There are only three main parts to the defrost system.

1. Defrost heater part # WR50X10042

2. Defrost thermostat/thermistor sensor part # WR55X10025

3. Defrost control board part # WR55X10942

« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 10:40:59 PM by whirlpooltech »

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 06:50:33 AM »
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline bigbuck

• Technician
  • over 30 years repairing appliance
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 09:31:28 AM »
alot of problems with thermistors, i would replace the evaporator thermistor.part # AP3185407

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 09:34:10 AM »
My friend Larry had a burnt motherboard on one of his GE ice boxes. He replaced the board and burnt it up too. He actually saw the resister glow red. The problem was the evap fan motor was bad. So if you replace the board without replacing the fan motor it burns up them motherboards. Click on pics below:

GE Evaporator Fan Motor Part # WR60X10196

GE Refrigerator Control Board Part # WR55X10942
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline ryan111

• Technician
    • Appliance-repair-it.com
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 11:38:04 AM »
As far as your current problem is concerned you have a defrost problem.

On this refrigerator you have four things that will cause a defrost problem. The main board, the defrost thermostat, the defrost heater and the thermistor (the one that you found buried in ice).

You checked the heater and thermostat and they were 31 ohms, which is fine.

This leaves the board and the thermistor. I have seen a lot more thermistors cause defrost problems than main boards. However the board could still be giving problems from the fan issue. Sometimes moisture can get into the fan or the thermistor, this can cause it to short out, which can damage the main board. Once it is damaged it isnít no telling what it may do.

Since you are having all of these main board issues I believe you will need to replace the board, the evaporator fan and the thermisotor (may come with the fan).

I wrote an article about some of these main board issues I am sure there are other problems but these are the common problem that I have ran into.

http://www.appliance-repair-it.com/motherboard-problems.html

Here is some info on defrost problems.

http://www.appliance-repair-it.com/defrost-problem.html#Electronic
http://www.appliance-repair-it.com/
Where everyone can repair it!

Offline bigbuck

• Technician
  • over 30 years repairing appliance
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 12:00:33 PM »
thats some great testing procedures for ge ryan, aj should copy & file that.

thanks,
                                                      jason

Offline ryan111

• Technician
    • Appliance-repair-it.com
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 12:30:45 PM »
Thanks bigbuck

I was pressed for time when I posted the first time (now I am on lunch). You asked for information on doing a self-diagnostic and reading codes for this refrigerator. I donít know for sure if you can put this model in a service mode or not some you can and some you canít it depends on the user interface. However if you ask me the self-diagnostic system on these refrigerators is useless. Most of the time you donít get any useful info out of putting one in a diagnostic mode. This may just be me because I learned how to work on these refrigerators when most models didnít have the self-diagnostic interface.

AJ may have a manual and if he does I am sure he will post it for you. I don't know of any on-line manuals all of mine are hard copies.

My friend Larry had a burnt motherboard on one of his GE ice boxes. He replaced the board and burnt it up too. He actually saw the resister glow red. The problem was the evap fan motor was bad. So if you replace the board without replacing the fan motor it burns up them motherboards. Click on pics below:

These are great examples of a burnt resistor due to a shorted fan. If you donít mind I may be able to use them on my website.     
http://www.appliance-repair-it.com/
Where everyone can repair it!

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 02:26:54 PM »
Go ahead Shawn I just posted your article on my facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/SublimeMasterPawPaw
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Donnyy61

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 08:55:06 AM »
Thank you for the comments and info.  Since the frige was totally defrosted for troubleshooting, it is running great.   EVAP thermistor is on order.  It is the most obvious falulty component.  I will post a follow-up reply after the thermistor has been replaced and there is some run time.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 06:19:43 PM »
Did the thermistor do the trick Don?
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline Donnyy61

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 08:33:16 PM »
Knock on wood...the Fridge seems to be operating normally.  It has not acted up since the total defrost and thermistor replacement.  I am anxious to see how it will work when we get to the humid summer weather.

Frigidaire Refrigerator Ice Dispenser Problems

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 2
Views: 7677
Last post June 11, 2013, 01:23:14 PM
by kcfinch
GE Profile Refrigerator and freezer not cold enough

Started by Dougj

Replies: 5
Views: 8518
Last post July 13, 2009, 04:37:30 PM
by JWWebster