365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!  ·  AppliancePartsPros.com
Washer Parts  ·  Dryer Parts  ·  Refrigerator Parts  ·  Dishwasher Parts  ·  Range & Oven Parts  ·  All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Samsung Refrigerator Freezer Temperature Sensor Broke off 1E Error Code  (Read 1472 times)

Offline chickenwarrior

• VIP Member
All of a sudden within the past 2 weeks my 3 year old Samsung RF4278HABP/XAA refrigerator has started falling apart.   Last week the Ice Dispenser paddle broke which I posted about HERE.  Before that I opened the freezer door and saw a sensor laying in the freezer compartment.  (See attached picture).  You will notice the sensor attaches via a plug but the sensor, plug and all, have two wires which were ripped out with it. (A Red and a Grey wire)  Seems simple enough to just twist the wires back together and tape up right?  No.  The wires broke up inside the freezer of course and you can't access them. (see additional attached picture)  Somehow this sensor and it's cap popped out of it's housing and must have been hanging down as the freezer bottom drawer was opened and closed.  At some point ripping it off.  Now I get an 1 E Error code which indicates a freezer temperature sensor error! (Duh).  Believe it or not I actually had an extended warranty and a repairman came out to fix.  Long story short he indicated this was a "non-serviceable part" and the warranty company would contact me in 2 business days.  After a week I called them and they told me my claim was denied because this ticket went in as an "accident", and accidents are not covered in my warranty.  I won't bore you with the fight I am having over that, but in the mean time is there anyway I can fix this barring cutting away the inside top of the freezer to gain access to the wires?  I can't come in via the back side.  The temperature has now began to fluctuate and now things in the middle drawer compartment have started to freeze as well.  Any ideas on how to repair or get a part myself? As I mentioned, it would be an easy "fix" to twist the two wires back together if I could just access them.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 08:18:44 AM by chickenwarrior »

Offline chickenwarrior

• VIP Member
Well I think I answered my own question with what I have to do.  Cut the top of the "roof" of the freezer to access the wires.  Not sure about linking to other forums but I came across this post where the EXACT same issue is described.  I believe this to be a design flaw by Samsung as it appears this has happed to several others.  The housing for this sensor just "pops" into the roof of the freezer with 2 small indentations to hold it in.  If it falls down it is likely it will get ripped off by opening and closing the freezer drawer.  This could be easily fixed by Samsung putting in a screw to hold it in permanently vs. the flimsy pop in housing.  Just thought I would share this with others
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 08:49:08 AM by chickenwarrior »

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Samsung Refrigerator Freezer Temperature Sensor Broke off 1E Error Code
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 10:14:52 AM »
Do you have any pictures of your repair?  I haven't run into this yet and I want to prepare my customers for what the aftermath looks like. Thanks.

Offline chickenwarrior

• VIP Member
Re: Samsung Refrigerator Freezer Temperature Sensor Broke off 1E Error Code
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 01:59:31 PM »
No.  I haven't taken any pictures of the repair.  It was ugly.  I only used electrical tape to see if it holds.  I thought about sealing back up with Silicone caulk, but wanted to see how it goes first

Offline Deeo

• VIP Member
Thank you for posting this. I had exactly the same issue with the sensor being ripped out of my Samsung freezer. The repair technician told me I "need a new fridge." The fridge is less than two years old, retails for almost $3000, and apparently there is no way for a technician to fix it. It is not like we were abusing the freezer. Yes, it was full, but aren't you supposed to keep a freezer full?

I am not sure what to do at this point. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. Thanks!

Offline chickenwarrior

• VIP Member
All the suggestions are posted right above your reply.  Just fix it yourself! See my reply below.  Unplug the fridge and take out the bottom drawer then lay on your back inside the bottom of the freezer.  (See my pictures posted in prior thread)  Take a razor blade and cut the white plastic back enough to expose the wires to be able to twist them back together again. I used electrical tape to tape the wire leads and cover the area I had cut away.  Done!  I was told my fridge was junk too and UNREPAIRABLE!  8 months and working like brand new again.  Sorry I wasn't about to give a $3000 fridge away for $50 recycling credit.  Good luck!

Well I think I answered my own question with what I have to do.  Cut the top of the "roof" of the freezer to access the wires.  Not sure about linking to other forums but I came across this post where the EXACT same issue is described.  I believe this to be a design flaw by Samsung as it appears this has happed to several others.  The housing for this sensor just "pops" into the roof of the freezer with 2 small indentations to hold it in.  If it falls down it is likely it will get ripped off by opening and closing the freezer drawer.  This could be easily fixed by Samsung putting in a screw to hold it in permanently vs. the flimsy pop in housing.  Just thought I would share this with others
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 12:54:24 PM by chickenwarrior »

Error Dh code LG Refrigerator Model GRA2076ROM

Started by dizzylizzy

Replies: 7
Views: 4068
Last post May 12, 2010, 05:59:45 PM
by JWWebster
PACIFIC refrigerator error code P3

Started by dave@orion

Replies: 1
Views: 1881
Last post August 17, 2011, 09:58:58 AM