Author Topic: Whirlpool washer needs time to rest before spinning again  (Read 1939 times)

Offline tazman

• VIP Member
Re: Whirlpool washer needs time to rest before spinning again
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 02:45:13 PM »
Ok thanks - I will check the switch. In this case, I doubt the switch is causing all the problems and here is why.
The machine agitates hard, and then after a bit it slows down (always has). After it slows down and agitates slowly for a couple of minutes, it stops, waits, and than agitates slowly again for several minutes before draining. I have no idea why it does this, but I believe it has always done this. It is this "pause" that it may never return from unless I intervene. It does't do this all the time, and when it does, it seems to do it on the same cycle (normal) and not on the other cycle (controlled by the timer dial) "Normal/Permanent Press (possibly the timer?). However, when it decides to NOT spin, no matter what I do I cannot get the machine to spin. I open and close the lid, bang on it, everything. Only rest seems to fix it. Hence I am leaning toward the motor. However, I believe my process will be: Check the screws (mentioned above). If they are ok, then replace the lid switch since it does seem to have a problem and it is inexpensive. Then see if the spin cycle still stops (I believe it will, but who knows). If it still stops spinning, then replace the motor.

Does this sound like a good plan? Have I missed anything?

Again, MANY MANY thanks.

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
Re: Whirlpool washer needs time to rest before spinning again
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 03:56:44 PM »
Then see if the spin cycle still stops (I believe it will, but who knows). If it still stops spinning, then replace the motor.

Does this sound like a good plan? Have I missed anything?

Again, MANY MANY thanks.

Just to add my 2 cents, if the motor gets hot and stops I would check it with a multimeter for voltage and to see if the built in thermal overload opened up.

If it just stops you need to know why. Could be because the timer part # AP3175368 is not sending it voltage.

Dig into it and let us know what you find.
Is the motor getting hot or not?
Does the pump turn freely?

Whirlpool Washer not Spinning

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 1796
Last post June 04, 2008, 10:26:10 PM
by TechnicianBrian
Maytag washer not spinning/different senerio then last time

Started by scubachris

Replies: 4
Views: 2334