Author Topic: Whirlpool washer needs time to rest before spinning again  (Read 1594 times)

Offline tazman

• VIP Member
Whirlpool washer needs time to rest before spinning again
« on: December 21, 2011, 08:00:21 AM »
I have an 8 year old Whirlpool Imperial washer - model # LSN2000LW1. It seems to work fine on my first load. However, if I do a second load right after the first one ends, the spin cycle does not work. The spin cycle runs and ends, but it never spins. If I let the washer sit for maybe an hour, then if I put it on the spin cycle, it runs. Trying just the spin cycle right after the second load doesn't spin won't spin either. It seems it is like me - getting old and needs to rest. Does this make sense, and if so, what is going wrong and how do I fix it?

Many thanks.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Whirlpool washer needs time to rest before spinning again
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 08:56:58 AM »
You motor must be getting hot. Could be the pump is real stiff.Remove the cover and jump out the lid switch then do a load without the case on and see if the motor is overheating.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 09:49:36 AM »
I agree with JW and would check the motor (part # AP3125983) to see if it was getting hot.
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline Mettalikatt

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 10:30:57 AM »
Definitely sounds like you're on the right track,  don't be afraid to tackle the job if it's affordable to you!  Motors are quite simple to install

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Offline tazman

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 10:35:57 AM »
I will take a look. However, I hear the motor running - or at least it sounds like the motor is running - but it does not spin. It sounds the same whether it spins or not, just no vibration from the spinning tub.

Offline tazman

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 10:49:46 AM »
And if it is the motor overheating (even though it seems to be running), do I replace the motor, or the pump if the pump is stiff?

Thanks,

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 11:01:30 AM »
And if it is the motor overheating (even though it seems to be running), do I replace the motor, or the pump if the pump is stiff?

Thanks,

If you find the motor is getting hot I would disconnect the motor from the pump and gear box, set it on the floor and run it.
If it gets hot without it being connected to anything then replace the motor.

If the pump is stiff I would remove the pump from the hoses and look inside it. If you don't find anything inside that is causing the problem replace the pump.

Here is a video that will show you how to get things apart. Let us know what you find.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 11:04:55 AM »
Your washer uses pump part # AP3963893

Offline tazman

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 12:55:49 PM »
Excellent. Now, please bear with me. Never having taken a washer apart, the video makes it look simple enough. However, once I remove the motor, how do I make it run to test it? Will simply plugging it in make it run?

Also, since I will have the washer apart, I have another minor problem. During the wash cycle, after it agitates, it stops for a couple of minutes (it is suppose to do this - at least it always has). Sometimes, it won't restart and may sit there doing nothing until I take some action. So, if I simply bang on the lid, it starts. To me, this sounds like the lid switch may be failing. If so, is this an easy thing to test? Is it an easy thing to remove/replace?

This is great. You all are a great resource and I certainly appreciate all your help.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 01:08:05 PM »
However, once I remove the motor, how do I make it run to test it? Will simply plugging it in make it run?

I would by pass the lid switch with a jumper wire and then put the washer in a spin cycle to run the motor.

During the wash cycle, after it agitates, it stops for a couple of minutes (it is suppose to do this - at least it always has). Sometimes, it won't restart and may sit there doing nothing until I take some action. So, if I simply bang on the lid, it starts. To me, this sounds like the lid switch may be failing.

A short pass after agitation and before it drains is normal.

From what you describe about the lid switch maybe that is what's causing all the problems.
Lid Switch Part # AP3020600

Very easy to replace the lid switch. Get the control counsel lifted up and you will see the switch.
Before I took anything apart or ordered any parts I would check the screws on the side of the washer lid to make sure they are not coming loose. If they are loose the lid hinges may not be tripping the lid switch all the time like it should be.

Offline tazman

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 02:45:13 PM »
Ok thanks - I will check the switch. In this case, I doubt the switch is causing all the problems and here is why.
The machine agitates hard, and then after a bit it slows down (always has). After it slows down and agitates slowly for a couple of minutes, it stops, waits, and than agitates slowly again for several minutes before draining. I have no idea why it does this, but I believe it has always done this. It is this "pause" that it may never return from unless I intervene. It does't do this all the time, and when it does, it seems to do it on the same cycle (normal) and not on the other cycle (controlled by the timer dial) "Normal/Permanent Press (possibly the timer?). However, when it decides to NOT spin, no matter what I do I cannot get the machine to spin. I open and close the lid, bang on it, everything. Only rest seems to fix it. Hence I am leaning toward the motor. However, I believe my process will be: Check the screws (mentioned above). If they are ok, then replace the lid switch since it does seem to have a problem and it is inexpensive. Then see if the spin cycle still stops (I believe it will, but who knows). If it still stops spinning, then replace the motor.

Does this sound like a good plan? Have I missed anything?

Again, MANY MANY thanks.

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 03:56:44 PM »
Then see if the spin cycle still stops (I believe it will, but who knows). If it still stops spinning, then replace the motor.

Does this sound like a good plan? Have I missed anything?

Again, MANY MANY thanks.

Just to add my 2 cents, if the motor gets hot and stops I would check it with a multimeter for voltage and to see if the built in thermal overload opened up.

If it just stops you need to know why. Could be because the timer part # AP3175368 is not sending it voltage.

Dig into it and let us know what you find.
Is the motor getting hot or not?
Does the pump turn freely?

Whirlpool Washer not Spinning

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 1649
Last post June 04, 2008, 10:26:10 PM
by TechnicianBrian
Maytag washer not spinning/different senerio then last time

Started by scubachris

Replies: 4
Views: 2143