Author Topic: Checking servicability before buying washer: Samsung WF431AM or LG WM3360HWCA?  (Read 3594 times)

Offline StevePgh

• VIP Member
I am the *ahem* proud owner of a Frigidaire GLTF2940FS2 front loader whose poor design where servicability and longevity are concerned can turn what should be a $50 parts cost bearing replacement into $700 150 lb. landfill deposit of broken parts.  The need for an entire new drum because the hub and spoke spider reacts with softened water and/or bleach and the 'spider' is not able to be ordered separately from the tub.  Then there is the bearing, which is molded into the tub (instead of merely a sleeve that a bearing can be pressed and unpressed from).  Plus, I understand that brushes for the motor cannot be ordered.  To top it all off is this hidden test tube in a rubber boot 'filter' that protects debris from the pump's impeller.  You know, the job that requires you unstack, lay the washer on the side, pry off the clamps, and dump out.  This thing collects tons of change, paperclips, washers, etc. because of a poor front gasket/seal design.  What were they thinking?

As to not repeat my folly of purchasing utter and complete garbage, I decided to browse repair forums and attempt to grab a service manual to understand how the thing is put together and see the parts unit breakdown. These things should be easily downloadable by anyone, I don't understand why they are not.  If anyone has access to either of these manuals or a parts breakdown, please let me know - I don't see them linked on the site. 

In any case, if you (the repair technician who has seen it all) were buying a new front loader, which of the two would you select?  The decision is limited to models Sears carries (as I have a credit coming), and I like the feature of these two where the pump pre-filter can be easily cleaned, plus these two brands are 'tied' for having the least repairs according to Consumer Reports.  Since they are newer models, there is not much data on them specifically, but how would you guys/gals rate the more recent stuff from each brand against each other?

Thanks for your time and input,
Steve

Offline StevePgh

• VIP Member
Just noticed AJ posted a link to the WM3360HWCA manual earlier, Thanks! - http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?topic=9015.0

Offline StevePgh

• VIP Member
Heh - furthermore, I thought my initial post on this question was deleted - I did not notice that it moved, so this is a dupe of http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?topic=9016.0, where there also was a link to a Samsung and LG manual posted.  I appreciate the quick response!

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Hi Steve,

Just some quick notes to add before I eat dinner.

I split your first post into it's own topic and JW posted a service manual for you there too.
http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?topic=9016.0

These things should be easily downloadable by anyone, I don't understand why they are not.  If anyone has access to either of these manuals or a parts breakdown, please let me know - I don't see them linked on the site.

I agree, :)
That is our goal with our download section , but there is not a service manual out there for every appliance ever made. I wish there was.
Service manuals can also take up a lot of server space and bandwidth so I try to add the ones I feel are the most popular or ones that are asked for. I believe between all the techs that are members of our site we have some of the best resources around for locating a service manual if one is out there.

In any case, if you (the repair technician who has seen it all) were buying a new front loader, which of the two would you select?
I will have a closer look at both models later tonight when I have some  more time and report back. :)

I would also be interested in hearing what the other members have to say about comparing these two models.

Hope you find our website helpful.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
Heh - furthermore, I thought my initial post on this question was deleted

Sorry about the confusion. You should have got a PM or email notice that it had been moved, may have been a fluke thing if you did not.

This is a open forum and only spam gets deleted.

Dinner is calling. :)

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
Try this.  At the top of this page is a search window.  Type in LG to see how many results you get and then type in Samsung and see how many results you get on that.  I think that will tell you which way to go. 

Hope this helps.
Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
Between the Samsung and LG on one hand I would pick the LG because I'm more familiar with servicing them.
On the other hand being I have never worked on a Samsung front loader they maybe better. ;)

What ever you decide to buy let us know and keep us updated as to how you like it.

Here is a on going review of a LG washer that you maybe interested in reading.

LG Tromm WM2496HWM Washer and DLG9588WM Dryer Review

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
we hardly ever hear about samsung probos but frequently hear about LG probos. My 2 cents
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Mettalikatt

• Technician
I've been into more samsungs,  but am just now getting parts available for the lg products.  Both are shiny and new.  They seem quite similar,  in fact some parts are interchangeable.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
I've been into more samsungs,  but am just now getting parts available for the lg products.  Both are shiny and new.  They seem quite similar,  in fact some parts are interchangeable.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

What parts?

samsung washer front door leaks

Started by gabriord

Replies: 4
Views: 5943
Last post October 06, 2011, 04:55:40 PM
by Canuckistan
samsung washer

Started by BrntToast

Replies: 0
Views: 1614