Author Topic: Transferring 2-wire(heat & line) thermostat connections to new model(BOGYWR,RC)  (Read 214 times)

Offline BEL2012

• VIP Member
My old thermostat has a main switch indicating heat/off/cool. Its wired up at its heat and line inputs, no color differentiation in wires(both grey) while the wire gauge is thick unlike the wire seen used with newer thermostats that have up to 7 connections.

Would I be able to match-up the wire hooked up to the 'line' connection of the old thermostat to the G terminal of the new thermostat and the input wire for the heat contact on the old thermostat to the R terminal of the new model? My new thermostat is a digital programmable one and has a jumper between the R and RC terminals.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 03:03:55 PM by BEL2012 »

Offline BEL2012

• VIP Member
My old thermostat has a main switch indicating heat/off/cool. Its wired up at its heat and line inputs, no color differentiation in wires(both grey) while the wire gauge is thick unlike the wire seen used with newer thermostats that have up to 7 connections.

Would I be able to match-up the wire hooked up to the 'line' connection of the old thermostat to the G terminal of the new thermostat and the input wire for the heat contact on the old thermostat to the R terminal of the new model? My new thermostat is a digital programmable one and has a jumper between the R and RC terminals.

Oops I think I meant to say Line wire from the old thermostat goes to R of new thermostat for power and the heat wire from the old thermostat goes to W of the new thermostat.

That sounds more like it, I think

nigel
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 04:03:44 PM by BEL2012 »

Offline rabjr01

• Technician
yes R and W I would check that the old stat is a 24v control. The labels you use to describe the connection points lead me to belive that you may have a 110v control. that would be odd but not unheard of

Offline BEL2012

• VIP Member
Most if not all of the markings etc are all gone except for the connectors. Not sure how else to check it. The brand name is Werner. Would the jumper be left in place between R and RC? Oh, at the back of the new thermostart unit, it has a switch for electric vs gas/oil. I'm guessing it should be in electric, right?

Offline DaleCaskanette

• Technician
r and rc are jumpered because rc is for cool a/c   oil gas is for the heat antisipator  so if you have a electric furnace set it tu electric  if you have an oil or gas set it to oil/gas

Offline DaleCaskanette

• Technician
if you have an old furnace with a thermo pile or couple ( unit has a pilot lite)  you may need a milli volt thermostat      normally all newer units are 24v   but if you have an old unit it would run on 750mv

Thermostat Wire Color Code Explained

Started by Icehouse

Replies: 0
Views: 48115
Last post January 24, 2009, 02:23:17 PM
by Icehouse
Thermostat wire

Started by Jerry64

Replies: 5
Views: 5760
Last post September 17, 2010, 09:35:15 PM
by shieldcracker