Free Service - Appliance Repair Help & Troubleshooting

Author Topic: confued or just too dumb  (Read 39 times)

Offline gregaguilar

• Technician
confued or just too dumb
« on: June 28, 2016, 10:40:19 PM »
Heres my question? I dont know much about refrigerators but am trying to learn. I am confused on the amps drawn by a fridge compressor when operating right to be at 1.1 and up to maybe 2.0 amps. Now if it is drawing .89 amps that means it is low on freon if it is drawing 2.5 it means it has a restriction on the system and compressor is working to hard. If it is pulling .89 or less either it is low on freon or compressor is on its way out, of course you have checked the compressor and made sure it is not shorted out and windings are in spec. The freezer is at 0 degrees and the fridge at 40 plus degrees?The cold control is okay , fans are all working heater is okay bi metal is okay evaporator fan is blowing damper is open but yet fridge wont cool down to the 38 or less degrees. Oh defrost timer is okay adc working also but yet fridge is at 40 plus degrees and will not cool down further than that?So i attach a piecing valve attach my gauges and the pressure is negative 20 so i try to add some freon and it will not go to 1plus or 2plus or 3 plus like it should.and amperage reading it still .89 and not quiet 1.0. Confused pls help on this one thanks guys and gals. Maybe i should have gone to school on this one huh?LOL

Offline mz3own

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: confued or just too dumb
« Reply #1 on: Today at 06:08:44 AM »
Heres my question? I dont know much about refrigerators but am trying to learn. I am confused on the amps drawn by a fridge compressor when operating right to be at 1.1 and up to maybe 2.0 amps. Now if it is drawing .89 amps that means it is low on freon if it is drawing 2.5 it means it has a restriction on the system and compressor is working to hard. If it is pulling .89 or less either it is low on freon or compressor is on its way out, of course you have checked the compressor and made sure it is not shorted out and windings are in spec. The freezer is at 0 degrees and the fridge at 40 plus degrees?The cold control is okay , fans are all working heater is okay bi metal is okay evaporator fan is blowing damper is open but yet fridge wont cool down to the 38 or less degrees. Oh defrost timer is okay adc working also but yet fridge is at 40 plus degrees and will not cool down further than that?So i attach a piecing valve attach my gauges and the pressure is negative 20 so i try to add some freon and it will not go to 1plus or 2plus or 3 plus like it should.and amperage reading it still .89 and not quiet 1.0. Confused pls help on this one thanks guys and gals. Maybe i should have gone to school on this one huh?LOL
Let me see if I can help. I'm no expert at it but. Your statements are vague
Lots of things can effect amp draw. Manufacter, compressor type, condition of condenser, three way valve, refrigerant used.
Linear compressors can pull as little as .25of an amp. Some compressors while running can run at or in vacuum.
Next time you tap the system and it is running at or in a vacuum, unplug the fridge and watch the pressure rise. Wait about 15-20min for the system to stabilize. This will tell you if you have a leak or of it is simply a bad compressor.
In your situation I suspect you have a duel cool because most systems will effect the ff first.
You may have a bad three way valve or a leak in the evap of the ff or bad compressor.
Right now though your system may be over charged causing your issue as well.
« Last Edit: Today at 06:10:18 AM by mz3own »

Dumb crook news

Started by JWWebster

Replies: 0
Views: 1465
Last post June 11, 2009, 01:49:55 PM
by JWWebster
Ten dumb things smart people do when testing electricity...

Started by andersenappliance

Replies: 0
Views: 891
Last post May 18, 2015, 09:02:06 PM
by andersenappliance