Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Author Topic: Appliance repair tech job opportunity - Questions  (Read 180 times)

Offline kirkebea

• VIP Member
Appliance repair tech job opportunity - Questions
« on: April 24, 2017, 12:32:17 PM »
Hi all,

I've been offered an apprenticeship to become an appliance tech, but they are asking me to complete a 90 day "ride-along" period to see if I would be a good fit before being hired on as an actual apprentice. I would be paid during this period.

I guess to me this sounds a little strange. Why not hire me outright? I asked them about it, but they explained it to me as a time to see if I would be a good fit, and if I liked the profession. The service manager explained that they have had 3 people sign up as apprentices and leave after a year or less because they ended up hating it, so they are gun-shy to just hire me as an apprentice outright.
Thoughts?

A little about me: this is a huge career change. I really have 0 appliance repair experience. My dad is a very well known tech in our area, and I grew up in the appliance tech world. I am very mechanically inclined, and I am a very quick study.

EDIT: They would also be giving me a truck to use to drive between job sites, and the 90 days would count towards my union hours when I did start the actual apprenticeship

Offline mz3own

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Appliance repair tech job opportunity - Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 03:56:32 PM »
what company is union doing appliance repair ;D
we do ride alongs all the time. Gives you and the company a chance to see if you are are good fit for them and vice versa.

Offline kirkebea

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 04:01:34 PM »
Hey thanks for the reply! I'm not sure, but they claim they're union Here is what it says on their site [company] has the only union factory trained and certified appliance technicians in [state]. Is your ride along period 90 days? Just seems extremely long to me.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 04:05:20 PM by kirkebea »

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 04:23:10 PM »
only one i can think of as being union is GE

Offline dewitt8884

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 11:41:46 PM »
I did 4 weekends as an internship (no pay) and found it helpful, but of course it wasn't an accurate representation of the level of what is be doing. I've never heard of a union in any appliance repair biz. I'd do it if they're paying for it.

Offline kirkebea

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 10:58:57 AM »
 ;D So is the general consensus here that I should be worried about whether or not this union actually exists? You all seem very fixated on it.  :-\  They are a fairly large local chain. They have five stores covering over 200 miles north to south of coast and service people inland from them. They're fairly dominant in the area.

They will be paying my union dues and classes. I've thought about it some more and honestly it feels like they may be going the extra mile for me here. I should probably count my lucky stars and just do the 90 days. I won't be profitable AT ALL for them during this training period and I should feel like I'm even getting paid.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 10:59:49 AM by kirkebea »

Offline mz3own

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 06:07:18 PM »
go for it. do they pay relocation fees too?
 ;D :popcorn:

Don't email us your appliance repair questions, post your questions in the forum

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 5399
Last post December 27, 2008, 03:30:48 PM
by AJ
Wanted: GE factory authorized appliance repair service technician

Started by AJ

Replies: 2
Views: 14564
Last post December 19, 2007, 01:25:48 AM
by BrntToast
Special Appliance Repair Tools and Test Equipment