Author Topic: Why do electronic control boards for appliances cost so much?  (Read 98 times)

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Why do electronic control boards for appliances cost so much?
« on: November 23, 2014, 06:44:16 PM »
The cost of electronic appliance repair parts just seem to be going through the roof!

But at the same time we see other electronics drop in price, such as pc's and tv's.

Some may say the electronic items such as TV's and PC's are massed produced and that explains why they are so much cheaper.

If so then how do you explain how a electron computer board like the Raspberry Pi A+ can be sold for only $20.00
http://www.raspberrypi.org/

What the heck, only $20.00 folks!

I doubt very much that the raspberry pi is mass produced anything close to what TV's, PC's are or even our appliance control boards.

I have seen small defrost control boards that have less parts and less functions then a Raspberry Pi, yet the defrost board can cost 5x as much. Why is that?

There are some really creative people doing some pretty amazing things with the Raspberry Pi. I keep thinking that a Raspberry Pi should easily be able to turn a refrigerator compressor on and off based on box temp along with defrosting it when needed. So why are refrigerator control boards now costing hundreds of dollars when a electronic board like the Raspberry Pi can be sold for only $20.00?
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline afterblast

• Technician
Re: Why do electronic control boards for appliances cost so much?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 07:28:03 PM »
no clue, some electronic stuff just stays stupidly expensive... best example I have is with graphing calculators...   back in high school I had to buy a ti 89 for a calculus class...    cost something like 130 bucks...   currently if you wanted to buy one.. even though it's been over a decade and the parts have to be cheaper to produce at this point they still cost about 130....

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Re: Why do electronic control boards for appliances cost so much?
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 07:31:24 PM »
Yes, the graphing calculators is a good example. Had to buy my son one. I was shocked when I seen how much it was going to cost, for a calculator!
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline omasse

• VIP Member
Recently I've been reading up on the Arduino platform which is probably even better for this kind of thing. I've been thinking too that someone savvy enough might be able to make generic defrost boards using Arduinos and sell them at a lower price to undercut the OEM parts. I'm not an appliance guy, though, and think this might require replacing the defrost sensor if it's not possible to know its specs.

The defrost board is a prime candidate for this kind of hacking due to its simplicity. While is is technically possible to do the same with oven and dryer control boards, since they have a user interface and bells and whistles to take into account, it becomes much more complicated. But all said and done, I assume it is possible to retrofit a mechanical defrost timer in many cases, so why mess with a control board...

Schematics for control boards

Started by Donh

Replies: 1
Views: 1681
Last post January 15, 2011, 06:05:00 AM
by Repair-man
Electrical Theory and Diagnosis of Major Appliances

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 1799
Last post September 20, 2008, 07:53:44 AM
by AJ
New Appliances lasting as long as old ones?

Started by Doh

Replies: 4
Views: 2209
Last post November 02, 2008, 11:39:49 AM
by theoldstoveguy
New Kitchen Appliances

Started by Zidane

Replies: 5
Views: 2227
Last post December 02, 2008, 08:12:35 AM
by Zidane
Cold control thermostats and switches in appliance circuits