Author Topic: Trying to get a better understanding of the industry, help would be great!  (Read 133 times)

Offline ThaoTran

• VIP Member
I'm working on a small project with my friend and we have plenty of questions about the industry. If any knowledgeable vets could help us out, we'd be forever grateful.  ;D

Wall of Questions:
Could you please walk me through in detail the standard appliance repair service process from the first point of contact to the last?

From what I understand, the client calls in, voices their problem. The repairman then comes to check out the issue at a fee. This fee is usually waived after the repair. A quote is given, then the customer decides whether or not he wants to go with that repairman.

How often does a client pay for the service call without going with the same repairman for the repair?

Are customers given a quote on the same day as the service call?

How is the bill usually itemized? (labor, parts, etc)

What is the average amount of time between the quote and actual repair date?

Do customers usually have the option to order their own parts?

Are most licensed technicians independent business owners or are they contracted by stores/properties/etc?

:thanks:
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 03:02:39 PM by ThaoTran »

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
I'm working on a small project with my friend and we have plenty of questions about the industry. If any knowledgeable vets could help us out, we'd be forever grateful.  ;D

Wall of Questions:
Could you please walk me through in detail the standard appliance repair service process from the first point of contact to the last?

From what I understand, the client calls in, voices their problem. The repairman then comes to check out the issue at a fee. This fee is usually waived after the repair. A quote is given, then the customer decides whether or not he wants to go with that repairman.

How often does a client pay for the service call without going with the same repairman for the repair?

Are customers given a quote on the same day as the service call?

How is the bill usually itemized? (labor, parts, etc)

What is the average amount of time between the quote and actual repair date?

Do customers usually have the option to order their own parts?

Are most licensed technicians independent business owners or are they contracted by stores/properties/etc?

:thanks:

1)  Customer pays a service call for an appliance diagnosis.  Diagnosis is free if given over the phone and details are familiar with common problems I see in the field.  The service call is not waived. 

2) An estimate given will include parts (if any), labor and the service call charge total.  I will charge 1/2 the service call rate for each additional appliance on the same visit.

3)  If the part is available locally or on my truck stock, the job is usually done the same day.  If the part has to be ordered, usually no more than a week to reschedule a date.

4)  The customer has the option to buy their own part but we will not be involved installing the part.  We will collect the service call charge and leave.

5)  I am an independent owner. 
Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Offline schleven

• Technician
    • www.katy-appliance-repair.com
"How often does a client pay for the service call without going with the same repairman for the repair?"
Almost all of my customers have me do the repair. I think most people have the first company they call do the repair.

"Are customers given a quote on the same day as the service call?"
Yes. I quote them a price as soon as I figure out whats wrong.

"How is the bill usually itemized? (labor, parts, etc)"
Parts and labor

"What is the average amount of time between the quote and actual repair date?"
Most repairs are done the same day. Next day if late. Two days if parts ordered.

"Do customers usually have the option to order their own parts?"
They can, but don't. I won't warrantytheir purchased parts and I charge retail price so there is no real advantage to them

"Are most licensed technicians independent business owners or are they contrcted by stores/properties/etc?"
I am independent
"It's not what happens to you, it's what you do about it"

Online Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender

Some companies use the "Free Service Call with repair".    I don't.   Most companies around me don't.    It is a gimmick.  To come out to a location and diagnose a problem,   I charge a Service Call.   That is paid after the diagnosis,   and is not waived.    That is a charge for time involved,   Fuel,  maintenence,   Insurance.     For example,  if I come out,   check out refrigerator,   and state the problem is the relay and overload on the compressor,    I will then quote them the total for the repair including the service call.    If they say no,  they don't want it fixed for some reason,   I am paid a service call and I leave.         

Never .    Once I diagnose,  I can't recall of anyone saying - I'm gonna use another repairman.   Doesn't happen.   Why would someone call a repairman out,  then use another for repair?

Are customers given a quote on the same day as the service call?    Always,  if I need price of part can check immediatly and give them a quote. 

How is the bill usually itemized? (labor, parts, etc)   Most bills are service call,  parts,  labor.   However,  certain jobs are qouted Flat rate - for example a Whirlpool Cabrio Bearing Job -  I flatrate that and several other jobs like that.     If job is harder than normal,   you still pay the same price as quoted and are not charged for extra effort and time.     

What is the average amount of time between the quote and actual repair date?   Same day unless part is not stocked on truck or at appliance parts store.     Then,  whatever time it takes to get part ordered in.

Do customers usually have the option to order their own parts?   Always,   and I have the option to tell them they can install the parts themselves.     If I don't supply part,   I don't give a warranty.    So.   If customer has a belt he bought,   I will install it for service call and labor.   I tell them that if belt breaks,   they will have to pay me another service call to come back,   and labor to install it.     No warranty.     If I put on my belt,   it is warrantied for 90 days,   and if it breaks I will come back for free,   and install a new belt.     So as you can see,   it is not worth it to buy your own parts.     

Are most licensed technicians independent business owners or are they contracted by stores/properties/etc?   I am an independant.   

Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

donate
$1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $50

Great Forum!...........thanks for all the help

Started by Eliteengineeringusa

Replies: 1
Views: 1936
Last post November 27, 2007, 12:09:33 PM
by AJ
Appliance Industry News for 2008

Started by Repair-man

Replies: 1
Views: 1450
Last post May 22, 2008, 02:04:56 PM
by JWWebster
Understanding Wax Motors

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 2
Views: 1565
Last post October 18, 2008, 08:42:41 PM
by TechnicianBrian
Will the events in Japan affect the appliance repair industry?

Started by AJ

Replies: 3
Views: 1581
Last post March 16, 2011, 09:13:52 AM
by weverette
The Great Canadian Pliance Jump

Started by Washaman

Replies: 3
Views: 1295
Last post January 13, 2012, 12:36:53 PM
by bigbuck
8178534 G-22 Understanding Tech Sheets Manual