Author Topic: LG Refrigerator Compressor Not Starting  (Read 5926 times)

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
LG Refrigerator Compressor Not Starting
« on: November 21, 2011, 11:15:48 PM »
Need some help here.....I have a 3 year old LG Refrigerator Model # LRSC26922TT that is currently not running. It won't get cold and compressor will not run. I Just replaced WITH NEW the main mother board and NEW PTC Assembly. Compressor will not turn on.... it just clicks like it's trying to start. I pulled the PTC assembly off and took an ohm meter and ohm'd the compressor and it tested fine so I know it is not a locked up compressor. I even took out a new start capacitor that I had laying around and jumped the compressor without the PTC Assembly connected. I Hooked up the start capacitor and a set of jumper test wires and tried to Jump the compressor. The compressor started with the test wires and the PTC Unplugged, the refrigerator pulled down and ran and started to cool and refrigerate but when I tried to hook the PTC assembly back up the compressor will not start? I even tried to put the extra capacitor in-line with the PTC assembly but still won't start, I'm scratching my head ??? ?? Does any one know what else I can do?  Possibly replace the  start and/ or run capacitors with NEW? ??? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
Re: LG Refrigerator Compressor Not Starting
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 06:05:08 AM »
The one thing you didn't mention is replacing the 2 capacitors located next to the main board.  Have you replaced those as well?  Their part numbers are J513-00012P and 0CZZJB2010H.  Their location is 407A and 407B.
Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 06:10:45 AM »
I have not yet replaced them yet. That is my next purchase

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 07:02:54 AM »
Can anyone help me with the wiring on my compressor and PTC on my LG Refrigerator Model # LRSC26922TT I just received a new PTC from Sears parts direct and the color code and wiring was different when I received it and opened it up from the packaging. There are four wires that are visible from the bottom of the wiring harness. There is a Red Wire, Pink Wire, Blue Wire and Black Wire, I need to know where and what location that they go. I have a schematic but it is confusing on what lead goes where. I don't want to screw anything up.
There are three pins on the compressor two on the top (Sort of like two Eyes) and one on the bottom (Sort of like a nose). What color wire goes where and where does the fourth wire go or does it gets jumpered off another?  Any help would be great. I can send you a picture when I get to the shop.

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 09:42:24 AM »
They should be able to go in exactly as you pulled out the old one.

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 10:54:25 AM »
They were unplugged when I got to the machine. Just trying not to damage anything.

I need to know what color wire goes to the top LEFT compressor pin,
I need to know what color wire goes to the top RIGHT Compressor Pin
I need to know what color wire goes to the bottom Center Compressor Pin
and 1 more wire needs to be connected somewhere else???

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 09:49:16 PM »
In the first post, you said that you replaced the PTC assembly.  Now you're saying that they were unplugged when you got to the machine.  Which is it?

What you will have to do is look up the wiring diagram for this unit and follow the connections from the control board to the PTC.  The wiring that runs from the capacitor must run together to left top connector.  The neutral side connects to the bottom connector.

Hope this helps.

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 05:59:21 AM »
That is correct I did replace the PTC, but when the PTC came in from factory it was prewired which did not match the schematic wiring color code. That is why I am asking for the correct coloring code. I don't want to burn anything up. I am already in to this for a new main board, a new PTC, a new start capacitor and now waiting for the backordered run capacitor. What else is there to replace? Can anyone take a picture of the PTC and compressor with the wires on the unit and forward to me? The compressor starts if I bypass the wiring harness with a 120Volt Jumper wire and unit pulls down and get cold. Just wire placement Stumped????

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 07:24:01 PM »
UPDATE ON THE LG REFRIGERATOR - Called LG Twice this week and spoke to the LG Technical Department Technicians - they gave me two scenario's based on their PTC Schematics - neither one worked. (Both Technician were great guys, great customer service and quick response on phone-not a long wait time).  So I pulled out the trusty DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH - My father who started the business some 60 years ago (Now 83) and the schematic had him baffled but he wouldn't let this Frig get the best of him. After numerous tries with different PTC's - stock PTC from LG and an universal PTC - Pop got it going. But he first gave me a lesson in Refrigeration 101. Prove out the compressor 1st - Pulled out the test cords and by-passed the PTC, compressor started, ran and pulled down perfectly. (It was't the compressor - wiring next)! Hooked up the PTC with the Schematic Color Code suggested from manufacturer based on what PTC I had - NO LUCK - Compressor started but was short cycling with one schematic and wouldn't start at all with the other schematic. But like I said Pop wasn't letting this Korean made piece of machinery get the best of him. He reminded me he was in Korea in the 50's during the War. Here's my 83 year old father laying on the cold concrete shop floor with the heater on for HOURS upon end until he got the BEST OF IT!  :rofl: Bottom Line ALL FIXED !   O0 Thought I just give the Good Schematic that not only started the compressor but kept it running until it reached the temperature called for by the thermostat. EVERYTHING WORKING PERFECT AGAIN!

BOTTOM CENTER PIN OF COMPRESSOR - BLACK COLOR WIRE (COMMON) connects to Thermal Overload
TOP RIGHT PIN OF COMPRESSOR - BLUE COLOR WIRE (Also Bottom Right Spade of P.T.C.)
TOP LEFT PIN OF COMPRESSOR - PINK COLOR WIRE (Also Bottom Left Spade of P.T.C.)
TOP RIGHT SPADE OF P.T.C. - RED COLOR WIRE
Here's my visual schematic looking at the PTC and Compressor from Top to Bottom:

l  - Top Right Spade Connection of PTC (RED) Color Wire
                    (PINK)            * l                                               *l - Bottom Right Spade Connection of PTC (Blue) Color Wire
Bottom Left Spade of PTC
                                                                      *l - Bottom Center Post of Compressor (BLACK) also connects to Thermal Overload

Thank You everyone who helped me out in the previous posts. This site is AWESOME!

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 07:29:14 PM »
Hi Blaiser,

Glad to hear you and your father got it figured out.
Thanks for the detailed update, it sure to help someone else down the road that runs across the same problem.

Happy Holidays!

8201786 Whirlpool Refrigerator Compressor Start Relay Repair Kit

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 7944
Last post May 03, 2009, 02:34:17 PM
by AJ
KAR-11 KitchenAid KA 2001 K Model BI SxS Refrigerator w/ Variable Capacity Compressor Service Manual

Started by AJ

Views: 1382
Last post August 20, 2009, 01:15:13 PM
by AJ
KAR-12 KitchenAid KA 2001 K Model Counter Depth SxS Refrigerator w/ Variable Capacity Compressor Service Manual

Started by AJ

Views: 1760
Last post August 20, 2009, 01:16:11 PM
by AJ
R-95 Whirlpool WP 2001 K Model Counter Depth SxS Refrigerator w/ Variable Capacity Compressor Service Manual

Started by AJ

Views: 1023
Last post August 20, 2009, 01:17:05 PM
by AJ
GE refrigerator Compressor not coming on

Started by e31430

Views: 1662
Last post December 07, 2009, 02:50:17 PM
by e31430
Refrigerator compressor windings