Author Topic: LAT9356AAE fills but won't run  (Read 1434 times)

Offline roblenski

• VIP Member
LAT9356AAE fills but won't run
« on: December 01, 2011, 07:26:49 AM »
My Maytag LAT9356AAE fills, but the motor doesn't run.  Level switch and door switch both have continuity.  Is there an easy way to check the motor?  It is a 2 speed washer.  Was able to find a procedure to check the motor in a 1 speed washer, but the wire colors are different from mine...

On a related note, may have messed up the order of the wires going into the two speed switch mounted on top of the motor.  The number 2-05131 is printed on top of the switch.  It shows positions for BK, BR, RD, WH, YL, OR, but also have purple and black wires...  Not sure if I got them back in the right spot.

Thanks!

Rob

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline roblenski

• VIP Member
Re: LAT9356AAE fills but won't run
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 05:52:00 AM »
JW,

Thanks for the link to the manual.

Seems that was the same one I had.  While it did not show how to make up a test lead for the 2 speed motor, but I finally figured out how to do it.  Ignoring the colors I just ohmed out the leads on the motor till I found sets of wires that gave me ~ 2 Ohms, and ~ 4 Ohms resistance.  I then knew which leads were coils on the motor.  Made the jumper, and the motor ran. 

Since I eliminated the lid switch, the water level switch, the pump turns free by hand, and the motor works, does that just leave the dreaded timer????

Thanks!

Rob

Offline roblenski

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 05:56:23 AM »
Forgot to mention, I also took the 2 speed switch apart last night and cleaned the contacts.  The switch worked on the bench.  When I installed it on the washer, and reassembled the washer, the washer wouldn't do anything.  Therefore, I've eliminated the switch as a possibility also. 

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 10:25:37 AM »
Timer most likely, but you did right by eliminating all other possibility's
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline roblenski

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 10:44:07 AM »
JW,

Thanks for the help. 

One last question:  Is there no manual that explicitly covers the LAT9356?  I noticed that mine was not listed as one of those that the manual covered.

Regards,

Rob

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 12:47:37 PM »
Well now I will dig through my old maytag junk and take a photo of the manual.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline roblenski

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 05:33:27 PM »
JW,
So, I brought home a new timer tonight.  Part #22003361.  Installed it.  Hooked everything back up.  Plugged it in.  Turned on the water valves.  Tried to start a load of laundry.  NOTHING.  :(
Is there a breaker / fuse on the washer?  The water isn't even filling.  I don't get any voltage at what I think are the leads for the water solenoids...   Power is getting to where the actual power cord splits off into the connector on the back of the machine, so I am getting power to the machine itself. 

Thanks!

Rob

Offline Earl Dryer

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 06:58:19 PM »
Take the hose off the water level switch and blow through it, I think you will find that the pressure dome is restricted. Had 2 of them with the same problem last week.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 10:35:54 PM »
If Earl's suggestion don't fix it that lid switch is funny on them washers. It has more than 2 wires and a mechanical lever don't it? Once I bypassed one of them switches because of some sort of mechanical failure. I pushed a nail through to hold the button down on that switch and she fired off. Maybe you have a loose hinge on the lid. Man I hate buying timers, I won't order one till every possible thing has been eliminated but that. I think you can send it back no question if you got it from one of our guys.
I remember what it was now the switch had continuity but it was physically coming apart. The nail held it together and it worked.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 10:38:42 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline roblenski

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 10:31:22 AM »
I did want to get back with you guys and tell you what it was.  Stupidly, even though I tested the lid switch - and it did have continuity when I checked it - the lid switch was bad. 

Disappointed with myself, I took the switch apart, rigged it so that it would work, reinstalled it.  Did a load of laundry with it that way just to verify.  Now that I know it will run with a new lid switch, I ordered one this morning.  Feel stupid misdiagnosing the timer, but I gave it my best shot. 

Thanks for the additional tips guys.  The water level switch trick is helpful too. 

Rob

Maytag Washer - Fills with water, then does nothing...

Started by AJ

Replies: 7
Views: 7843
Last post February 21, 2008, 05:34:00 PM
by AJ
Maytag LAT9356AAE Spin problem

Started by Camarocam

Replies: 2
Views: 3672
Last post February 20, 2008, 10:10:40 AM
by Repair-man
Whirlpool Washer fills but will not wash

Started by printer1

Replies: 3
Views: 1714
Last post March 20, 2008, 01:45:30 PM
by RegUS_PatOff
Washer Issue - Runs, Fills, Start Wash...Loud Grinding for 60s, Drain, Spin Done

Started by Moose101

Replies: 16
Views: 5552
Last post April 30, 2008, 05:39:30 PM
by AJ
Whirlpool Washer Fills Hot Water Only

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 2431
Last post May 09, 2008, 06:57:03 PM
by TechnicianBrian
Maytag Atlantis Washer, fills starts stops