Author Topic: LG Dryer will not power on  (Read 7456 times)

Offline gthoman

• VIP Member
LG Dryer will not power on
« on: November 28, 2011, 06:40:50 PM »
Help!! I have a DLEX7177WM LG dryer.....My dryer will not power on, I have checked the power connections at the wall and on the dryer. When I open the dryer the light will come on, but pressing the power button does not work. I thought it might be the control board but just received that today and it was not the problem..  :'( What else can cause this problem. I have taken off the front panel and control panel but not the drum, I read something about the thermistor?? Is that behind the drum? ..I have read some docs but not sure how to find the parts.....Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Gene

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: LG Dryer will not power on
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 07:21:02 PM »
Supposed to be a resetable limit mounted on the exhaust ducting. I would love to see a pc of it. One day somebody will brang me one of these dudes and I will take some pix.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 07:38:47 PM »
The first thing to do would be to make sure you have 220-240 volts going to the dryer.
The light only needs 110-120 volts to work. You will need a multimeter to check the voltage.

Then I would check the High Limit Thermostats you will need a multimeter to check the thermostats.

Does this look like your dryer service manual?

Offline gthoman

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 08:59:31 PM »
Thanks for the responses, I do not see anything mounted on the exhaust ducting. I have checked that the unit is getting power with my multimeter...seems to be around 243 volts. I believe I checked the High Limit thermostat, it that connected to the outside of the coil box? I am attaching a picture. I unplugged the wires to these 2 fuses/thermostats and there was continuity, do I need to check anything else, is this the right place? And that does seem to be my service manual but am a newbie and don't know how to read electric diagrams.....Thanks again for the help....

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 09:04:34 PM »
Good pic of the heater and high limits however the thermal fuse/limit will probably be mounted on the blower housing have you got a pic of it?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 09:07:49 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 09:12:05 PM »
See this?
http://www.repairclinic.com/LG-Dryer-Model-DLEX7177WM-ID-865076-Thermostat-Parts

They list 2 small limits and a larger cycling thermostat. Let me ask ya this are both those small themostats mounted on the heater cannot tell what size the one behind is.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 09:24:08 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline gthoman

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 09:25:45 PM »
Do I have to take the drum out? What a pain, it seems it doesn't open from the back which would be much easier.....Any tricks??

Thanks.....

Offline gthoman

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 09:37:07 PM »
From what I can tell in the diagram there seems to be a thermistor and blower thermostat behind the blower housing unit? Would either of these having problems cause the power not to turn on??
Thanks again....

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 09:42:36 PM »
Ok take a look at this pix:
(Click to enlarge)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 09:44:19 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 09:43:49 PM »
That drum gotta come out. You gotta clean er up anyway and oil the rollers right?
Just to the right of the motor the red yellow and white wires? That limit must be back there.
The thermistor would control air temp and the other one would be the fuse I imagine. What ya thank?
Check em and see if either one is open. Do it with their wires disconnected from them.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 09:49:26 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline gthoman

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 10:00:42 PM »
OK....since its a steam dryer have to deal with all the parts on top...thats why I was hoping a different way to get in, but I might give it a try. By open do you mean to check for continuity? And would this cause the power not to come on?? Thanks for all your help...

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 10:14:03 PM »
Open means the part is not able to carry electrical current. A dryer in this config will have multiple backup safety's If the limits on the element are fine and it won't run look for a blown safety on the blower housing is what I would do. Have you seen the video?

never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline gthoman

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 10:47:29 PM »
Yes, I did check that video but it doesn't have the steam dry stuff up top, but I figured out how to take that off and get the drum out.....Now I can see everything. I checked for continuity again on the ones I took a picture of, and those seemed to be ok, also found the one behind the blower motor and that one also seemed to be work(hear beeping when touching both sides)...., not sure how to check the thermistor? Any ideas? Thanks....

Offline gthoman

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 11:10:08 PM »
I think I did the thermistor test correctly....hooked up the multimeter to ohms and it read 10.6 and its around 75 degrees in my house.....I'm running out of ideas......Any other suggestions? Do I just need to test for continuity on the thermal fuses?? Thanks again....

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 12:16:38 AM »
To be sure remove the wires from all the components to check for open circuit conditions
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Neptune Dryer Gas Valve Asmbly Power, Bad Booster, or Other?

Started by PartTimeHomeRepa

Replies: 2
Views: 1440
Last post June 08, 2008, 04:49:05 PM
by Repair-man
TD33 ASKO Clothes Dryer TD33, dead after power surge, is there a fuse?

Started by kidsteele

Views: 2181
Last post March 18, 2009, 07:15:44 PM
by jumptrout51
Speed Queen Dryer (no power to timer motor)

Started by goodsusedappliance

Views: 1157
Last post July 02, 2012, 06:36:50 AM
by JWWebster
WE4M388 GE Dryer Main Power Control Board

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 3092
Last post June 03, 2009, 03:59:58 PM
by AJ
Dryer doesnt turn but has power