Author Topic: New Kenmore Elite HE top load. 796.29472000  (Read 5655 times)

Offline warrenkeller

• VIP Member
Re: New Kenmore Elite HE top load. 796.29472000
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2011, 11:41:16 PM »
look at the icon for the "delicate" cycle, and how many of those do i own?

here is the screen that pops up when i push the power button.

So i know alot of you wonder why i'd choose this, well long long story short, my front loader, Kenmore elite, 1 and a half year old, made by LG went out, needed a bearing and the whole tub replaced. Parts were on back order for over a month. Sears corp called me (i had a master protection agreement) they offered me a new, washing maching of my choice, because having the master protection agreement, they cant leave you without a washer for so mant days. So when i went to sears to choose i spent a few days looking and reading reviews this time. My FL Kenmore was 1599.99  so i got credit for 1599.99, i decided to go with another kenmore (lg) because i had no problems at all with the lg (kenmore fl) i had the whole time, Untill in wash and spin the washer was making a loud knocking noise. They changed the Direct Drive motor twice, still to no avail, then they found out about the bearing and spider. I was very un easy going with a new HE top load, first off cos i havent used a top load in a long time, second cos i heard the ones without agititators were shi... But its been okay, minus the noise.

Offline sparky823

• VIP Member
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2011, 12:10:06 AM »
Maybe the noise will get better as it gets broken in. Maybe have them check it out to be on the safe side OR just pull the laundry room door closed when you start it and ignore it.LOL

I am the same way, get something new and drive myself freaking nuts listening for a problem. A rattle in a new car or a scratch on it or a bug on the grill! LOL With age I seem to be getting a little better about that though.

That is a cool washer! All kind of cycles to choose from. Not sure what a 57 (year I was born) Kenmore looks like. I know we had a Frigidaire washer and then in the early 70s my Mom got a Kenmore set and was never crazy about it. It didnt spin the clothes as dry as the Frigidaire did(that thing would fly) plus the Kenmore just didnt wash as well as that up&down agitator. That is what I would buy in a minute if they still made those with the up&down washing(Frigidaire). She bought a new Maytag in 1982 and it is still washing and only needed 1 repair-a timer- in almost 30 years.

Hope you enjoy this one and get the kinks worked out. Keeps us info'd on what Sears tells you.

Offline warrenkeller

• VIP Member
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2011, 12:15:00 AM »
Yes. Sears. Lol. Theyve been okay. I always seem to get the same guy. Very nice and knowledgble. The 57 is a dream to me. It had a lighted control panel and interior light. Just looked very cool. Look on youtube 1957 lady kenmore
  I really like this kenmore. Its made by lg and not whirlpool !

Offline warrenkeller

• VIP Member
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2011, 12:18:50 AM »
I also drive myself nuts at new things. I guess for what i or you pay for things, brand name they should work 100% and stay working for a long time too. It really bummbed me out when i started to hear this noise. I have a feeling sears will tell me its normal or will just need a little more grease on the suspension.  I feel like i should have lived in the 50s. I love all the retro appliances. The stoves dishwashers. Washing machines.  Some had really cool features.

Offline sparky823

• VIP Member
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2011, 12:34:01 AM »
I will have to check out the 57 Kenmore.

Not to change gears here on you, but what kind of dishwasher do you have? I have a Kenmore Elite, not sure of the age now. It is several years old but Tall Tub version-smart wash. I have either got to get a new one or change the motor/pump in this one. Sometimes it washes very good but then sometimes not so much so plus it sounds like a B-52 running--screaming I mean--you cant hear the water inside the motor is so loud. I just let it scream and get where I cant hear it.
If I buy a new one not sure what to get. From all I have read the new KM WP and KA all have a wash temp of 120 now where it used to be 140. For me the 120 doesnt seem hot enough for the max wash temp.

What are your suggestions? Guess I need to start a new thread on this! Just thought I would get your op.

Offline warrenkeller

• VIP Member
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2011, 12:49:55 AM »
Actually i had the Kenmore Elite 360 wash with turbo zone. This years model. Made by WP. About a week later it started throwing codes, motor, door latch and more. But when i learned this was made by WP and sears coukdnt come out to check for about a week i took it back with the quickness. It didnt even wash good. The cycles were about 2 hours long. I listened to it. It would spray. Pause. Pause. Spray. Pause pause. Complete bs. Im currently looking into a lg or bosch. And which ever one i choose ill make sure i get the sears master protection agreement.  I mean it really wowed me that i got to choose a brand new washer of my choice. With free delivery and haul away and also i didnt pay any tax. So it was well worth the 150 i paid for a year of MPA
 Now with the new washer i asked sears to extend my coverage.  So they did. They gave me an extra two years!

Offline sparky823

• VIP Member
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2011, 01:05:09 AM »
You cant beat getting the extra warranty. That was a really good deal. Glad you told me about the DW. I have read that lots of people have had bad luck with the LG DW--at least the first few years. I have looked at the Bosch too. In fact that was what I was going to get when I bought this KM but I let the lady talk me into it. The Bosch doesnt seem to be as big inside but I think it would just be a learning curve to that and how to load differently than what we are used to.  just hate to buy another one. I was planning on this one lasting longer than 7-8 years. I am guessing that is about how long I have had it. The new ones may not last that long. May have to go back to dish pans and Octagon soap LOL.

Offline sparky823

• VIP Member
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2011, 01:25:28 AM »
Have you seen the you tube post where the LG top loader got off balance and beat itself and the dryer and wall all up? That washer is beat all to pieces. I thought it had sensors to stop plus looking inside the comforter looked like it was sitting in the middle instead of on one side?? Bet that was a noise. Does your washer say anything about off balance loads in the use manual?

Offline warrenkeller

• VIP Member
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2011, 10:59:10 AM »
Yes i had seen the video of that washer, and there were a few reasons why that happened. First off there was like a heavy mattress pad and some odd stuff in there, it says in the manual that everything should be evenly filled in the tub. Sure a mattress pad will ball up and go to one side right? Also the cycle he had it on was"normal" the manual says always wash bulky, bedding items or pillows on "bulky/bedding" i did a few loads and then i found out why. I did all my bedding, all the king sized comforters, the pads, the sheets. the comforters had to be done seperate. The"bulky" setting is a slower wash, the motions are slow, it fills almost all the way to the top with water. When getting ready to spin, the tub sits, drains and when all the water is gone, the tub starts to spin very slow, then it drains more water, whatever its sucking out, then i heard the pump running dry, so the washer increases speed, but slowly, it also spins on a medium setting. The normal cycle, which he washed on, is a faster, more rough cycle, the "wave force" really kicks it, during this drain and spin the tub is spinning slowly when draining, then when the pump sounds like its running dryer, the washer speeds up at high speeds to start the spin. This is where i think it went wrong. The default spin speed for "normal" is high. He was in the wrong settings. I use all the presets to make sure that doesnt happen and i've been fine, i only change a setting if i want hot or cold water. I really liked the bosch, i saw them at sears and they looked to have plenty of room! Sears always talks you into a Kenmore brand. When i was dealing with the Sears Executive about my replacement, he said to choose a Kenmore as a Replacement. I asked why and he said if this ever happened to me againt hey have more leway with the Kenmore brand to get me a replacement sooner, with really no questions asked. He said otherwise, its a longer process. Sears comes out and says, oh washer parts are on back order, so then they would have to call, lets say, LG, so LG would have to come out whenever they could to check the machine and go from there. The Sears Executive said, basically its like cutting out the middle man. I was informed that my washer parts were on back order for over a month, that day they offered me a replacement, i agreed. Three days later Sears Executive called me with a number to take to any sears store to start a PA Replacement, and i got the washer the next day!

Offline sparky823

• VIP Member
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2011, 12:18:38 AM »
Maybe I am wrong, but at what these cost they should still have some kind of "switch" to shut it off in case of a severe unbalance. There are people out there who never read instructions to anything. Personally I feel that was/is the biggest problem(especially when they first came out) with front load washers and mold/mildew. People treated them like they had their old top loaders and just could not understand why they had problems." A scoop and a half of detergent should be fine--I didnt have a smell in my old one". Then when everything went bad they wanted to blame the manufacturer. Some of the problems were parts trouble but just as much or more was user error,IMO. Yours should last you a long time since you read what to do and are following instructions.

I also noticed the guy in the video say that was the second washer they had gotten--LG had already replaced it but he didnt say why or I missed it. I wonder what they did about it the second time?

Offline sparky823

• VIP Member
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2011, 02:30:47 PM »
Did Sears check your washer out yet? If so, what did they tell you?

Offline sparky823

• VIP Member
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2011, 05:51:32 PM »
Any word today from Sears about what they will do about your washer? Have you decided on a replacement?

Offline warrenkeller

• VIP Member
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2011, 06:29:16 PM »
Hi there, sorry for the late reply, i was gone. Sears came and checked and the needed to order me a new, suspension rod, suspension hanger, whole new cabinet, because it has a long 4 inch dent. Total of about 500 dollars. So the Sears Exective told me to call him if they needed to order parts. I called him and he set me up with a new PA Replacement of my choice, up to 1600. I talked with the Sears tech and with the Sears Executive about brands and what ones are better than others, what ones they barley work on or replace. And they both told me the same thing. They said LG has been having their own issues, GE stay away from front loaders, Whirlpool Front loaders are excellent, also are Electrolux. I have till monday morning to decide on a new washer, i am really thinking of going with the Electrolux wave touch, i saw it in stores about 2 years ago and really liked it, just didnt have that kind of money back then for one. They only have it avaliable in, Silver and White. The Red and Green-Blue were on back order for another month. I really wanted the green one!

I was going to go with another Top Load like the one in the photos, but the Sears Tech was asking me, what were you washing? I said a queen sized comforter, he said, that thing weighs a ton when wet, doesnt it? I said i dont know, i also said to him, for 1600 it should be able to wash anything. He said it got unbalanced during spin and banged the cabinet sides, then somehow push itself upwards during all that and slammed the suspension rod into the corner of the hanger cracking it in half, making the tub fall and dent the front of the cabinet. After he told me that, i didnt want to go with another top load. He said with stuff like big comforters, front loaders can handle them better. I think at a price of 1600 it should handle anything! What do you think, am i making the right decision?

Offline sparky823

• VIP Member
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2011, 06:55:43 PM »
I was in Lowes today and they had the red Electrolux and it is sharp for a washer! Large capacity. I think I had rather try one of those before the Wpool. I have also read where some of the new Wpool had some problems getting loads to spin.

I will say though, I have read where some have gotten these new Elec. and Frigidaire models and they say there is hardly any water in there. For me with that issue, I would just have to walk off while it is running and not see how much(or little) was in there to keep it from being an issue in my mind(LOL).

I still think your current washer goofed up from tech error. He didnt get something back right and caused all the trouble. If it was me, I would go to the store and check out both brands and see which I thought I could live with the best. Then pro/con it from there.

I looked at dishwashers at Lowes cause mine is now leaking and cannot be used. To be honest, I didnt like any of them. Even the higher end(which I said this time I refuse to buy) seem cheap and they ALL seem so small. To me for what you pay for this stuff, it doesnt last long enough.

I know you are totally disgusted but as hard as it is to do sometimes, you will just have to pick and hope for the best. I know if there is two of anything for me to pick from I have a hard time unless it is just something so obvious about one of them I wouldnt want. But I usually feel like I picked the wrong one--or question it after I get one and think why didnt I get the other one--I must be a moranLOL.

Let me know what you decide. You should have asked Sears why LG wasnt making the stuff as much for them now. Price or Problems. LG actually rated Best as needing the least repairs according to CR...

Offline warrenkeller

• VIP Member
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2011, 07:11:48 PM »
i know its weird. I saw the wave touch, i think the 65, in the store 2 years ago and just fell in love. But i didnt have that kind of cash at the time. Now that they have the new 70 wave touch i am very interested. I always check sears parts direct and look at the blue prints, lol im a dummy and some things have been changed from the 65 to the 70, for the better i hope! I read online that the wave touch has a water plus feature. So i think i would just use that to have more water. My LG front load Kenmore really had no water in it either and it didnt have a water plus feature. The sears tech said they dont see too many problems with electrolux. More with Wpool and LG, some Samsung they said. The sears Executive said they do alot of PA replacements on the Kenmore brand, but its whose behind the Kenmore logo, like Wpool, or LG or even now electrolux!?

Kenmore HD Elite Top Load Washer

Started by sunnybono

Replies: 16
Views: 4571
Last post December 29, 2008, 05:30:35 PM
by Repair-man
Kenmore HD Elite Top Load Washer not rinsing!!!

Started by sunnybono

Replies: 3
Views: 1478
Last post May 30, 2009, 11:26:39 AM
by whirlpooltech
kenmore elite front load washer wont spin completely dry

Started by monki

Replies: 14
Views: 8862
Last post April 02, 2012, 10:48:48 AM
by JWWebster
kenmore elite front load washer wont spin completely dry

Started by dcdang

Replies: 2
Views: 1262
Last post September 24, 2011, 11:22:31 PM
by dcdang
Kenmore Elite top load grinding in drain cycle (after replacing tranny)

Started by cmwerner

Replies: 1
Views: 210
Last post February 15, 2014, 04:11:33 PM
by cmwerner
kenmore elite front load washer

Started by jab4558

Replies: 11
Views: 320
Last post May 01, 2014, 08:27:05 PM
by niobrara