Author Topic: KitchenAid Superba. Been working on this one for a while now. Need help!  (Read 1730 times)

Offline Ronyeager

• VIP Member
KitchenAid Superba Model ksr525ilbl03. 

When I first got this unit I took a look at it saw it needed a new start relay and thought "great!",  I replaced the start relay and the fridge worked fine until 3 days later right as I was about to deliver it and I noticed it completely stopped cooling.  I saw the condenser fan was not going so I went straight to the cold control and sure enough the cold control was burnt up pretty good.  I got lucky and had an extra cold control become available and I replaced it.  The condensor fan turned on and the fridge, seemingly, started to work like it was supposed too and I thought all is well.  Until about 5 hours after putting the new CC in I realized why the CC blew in the frist place, the compressor was over working and if I hadn't been heads up and thought to switch out the start relay AGAIN as I replaced the CC, I would have lost another CC.  Luckily the relay shut off the compressor which the previous relay failed to do.  So, I ohm the compressor and found that I was actually get continuity when I put one of the probes on the copper, so I learned the compressor was bad.  SO, I had a guy who has experience replacing compressors replace it with another used compressor that was identical and checked out just fine.  Well, turns out, in my opinion; the guy didn't know to much about what he was doing.  Now I have a fridge that seems to have all working parts but it WON'T GET COLD!  What am I missing here guys?  I know that when he was recharging the replacement compressor he didn't use gauges because he thought of a "smarter" way to do it.  So, I would guess that is my problem, but my issue is I have not had enough experience with that side of refrigerators yet.  Id like to get into it so if anyone can point me in the right direction and tell me what I need to be looking for to tell if its a freon issue or if there is just air in the system so I need to get a pump or what?   Its a nice fridge and I have been lucky not to have to buy to much stuff for it because I had spare parts and I am really wanting to fix my pride and get this thing going.  Happy Thanksgiving, Ron Yeager.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Ron I did a freezer a while back. Freezers and ice boxs are the same. 5 PSI on the low side. I bet you have a restriction. Like I said I did a freezer recharge and blogged it on AJs blogspot:

http://appliancejunk.blogspot.com/2011/08/freezer-recharge.html
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Ronyeager

• VIP Member
Hey, thanks for that info JW.  I like the set up you have.  I am a little confused about the access valve you put on.  What size is that and does where do you get that plus the Schrader valve to fit it?  Where do you get your r134a?  Local Wal Mart?  I hear a lot of different things, but, I just want to make sure it is getting done properly and professionally and you seem to be one of just a few people who tell me things that I gain results from, lol. 

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
Larry has a friend which works for a local Freon distributer.  They do a lot of automobile mess here hot as it is so they can add a nice refillable type valve to a 30 pound tank and refill it. Lol.
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
Wow access valves are a confusing thang on the internet
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Ronyeager

• VIP Member
lol, yeah maybe better not to try and get into here.  However, if you, or anyone else could refer me to a resource that will break it down a bit more and then get certified that would be great.  A little book work is always informational and I also think it is about time I started into that.  That on top of the other million things I want to accomplish lol

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
The problem is this: They can teach you stuff in a book and that is fine. But that don't show you nuthin.
Ya gotta get some hands on experience true but you also need to see what ya gotta do. In my case I want to know why it also do what it do. LOL
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
They say a pix is worth a buncha words. That's why we do's what we do's
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Ronyeager

• VIP Member
got myself some gauges today!  Can't wait to actually use em.  Ill be getting the pump tomorrow.  its made by the same company as the manifold and it is a 2-stage.  Sound right to you? 

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
As long as it will do the job it should be fine. I have a map gas rig similar to the one in your pic. It does the job but take a little longer. Use a 15% rod with it to make life easier on you. Sand down the area you are going to weld.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 10:41:07 AM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Ronyeager

• VIP Member
Re: KitchenAid Superba. Been working on this one for a while now. Need help!
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 06:49:43 PM »
got this guy too.  Im do have a few questions that might seem dumb, but, rather ask them and do it right.  first is, when charging the unit do I need to have the fridge on or off?  Is there any rule of thumb for how hot the compressor is?

Offline Ronyeager

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2011, 07:04:41 PM »
opps issues with my pic posting

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 03:23:03 AM »
Their is fancy equipment you can get to weigh in a charge but I do it the old fashioned way. I get the compressor going and slowly add in till it stays at 5 PSI on it's own.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Brent@CanBC

• Technician
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 12:29:00 AM »
2 stage, your heading in the right direction Ron.  Well here I am getting to old to do this anymore,  and heres you just getting going.   I would would love to have a young buck like you for a month.  I have all the stuff,  and to old to do it anymore.   I have the sisser table, that you put a fridge on,  and jack it up in the air,  and sit on a doctors stool,  and everything is right there in front of you.  All my knowledge, and no one to give it to.

Theory is what will set you free, Ron.  Just picking up the equipment is the easy part.  Getting a good teacher,  that knows his stuff, is what you need Ron, some one that will show you how every thing works, and why.  Yesterday we could just put our hands on things and tell you what was going on. 

Now things are all covered up and very little to work with under there.  Things are almost to a point that only the factories can fix.  Out in the field is more complicated,  as you have to carry a lot of expensive stuff into the home or appartment.

Here in Canada, we deal with the old stuff,  not as much, but still do.  Now we mostly have the 134a gas, so need new equipment, so most of us older guys have both,  and its very expensive stuff to use now.

I am 66, and here I sit,  with all this stuff,  have sold a lot off, but I still have lots to go.  I see your post here,  and   what I know now,  I would love to be 22 and just starting up like you.  If I was close to you,  it wouldn't take you long to know every thing you need to know, to do this worthy work.  Good luck to you Ron.  O0   Brent@CanBC

Kitchenaid Superba Fridge Ice Machine Not Working. Help Needed

Started by bobafart

Replies: 11
Views: 33812
Last post October 05, 2009, 11:05:32 PM
by krazytech
Kitchenaid icemaker not working

Started by AC

Replies: 3
Views: 2922
Last post September 25, 2007, 12:43:23 PM
by Pegi