Author Topic: whirlpool lsc9000pw0 grinding noise during high agitation  (Read 1178 times)

Offline ActionFigure

• VIP Member
whirlpool lsc9000pw0 grinding noise during high agitation
« on: November 24, 2011, 06:05:10 AM »
Hello! I am really hoping someone has seen(heard) this before & can help me out. I really do not want to buy a new washer. Thank you for taking the time to read this & I hope it makes sense.

1st- it wasn't spinning- replaced clutch. There was quite a bit of oil sprayed on interior of cabinet. Worked about a week. Then began trying to agitate during spin & would begin spin before draining. I pulled the tranny & replaced all of the seals, the neutral drain kit & the agitator cam & follower. Also cleaned out the oil & replaced it with 14oz new. Also cleaned tub etc... It worked beautifully for 3 weeks.

Then- :'(  It began making a rhythmic grinding noise during high agitation. It doesn't make the noise on low agitate, only on high. It doesn't make the noise if the lower agitator is off- even in high agitate (but no articles of clothing in the machine). My husband said it had to be dog ears so I replaced. no change. Then, he went out & bought an entire agitator assembly. It still makes the noise.

It does sound like when the dog ears go bad but louder to me. I used a mechanics stethoscope & I can hear the sound fairly loudly from the clutch & the brake. When I placed it against the tranny I didn't hear anything unusual. I had read that this sound may be due to too much clearance for the gears in the tranny. Is there a way to check this? Are there other things which may cause this sound?

Model lsc9000pw0

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: whirlpool lsc9000pw0 grinding noise during high agitation
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 08:26:29 AM »
Maybe yall got the coupling too far against the tranny.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline jbtools

• Technician
Re: whirlpool lsc9000pw0 grinding noise during high agitation
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 08:04:22 PM »
Sounds like the basket drive. this is the tube and brake assy that the gearcase slides up into. ( only noisey on spin, try holding the agitator still while its spinning to see if the noise goes away)

Whirlpool Washer Noise During Agitation and no Spin

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 3
Views: 4670
Last post June 19, 2008, 09:00:45 PM
by JWWebster
whirlpool washer high agitate noise and slipping

Started by sadman

Replies: 1
Views: 1459
Last post October 23, 2008, 09:12:23 PM
by JWWebster