Author Topic: Microwave Oven Repairs- A DIY friendly approach  (Read 5363 times)

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Microwave Oven Repairs- A DIY friendly approach
« on: April 07, 2008, 07:29:05 AM »
One of my old time associates in Florida, a Mr. John Gallawa, is an authority on microwave ovens. I have relied on his advice countless times in the past when I would encounter a commercial microwave in the field that I could not figure out. He wrote several reference books and is currently producing CDs and DVDs  for both the service industry and the do-it-yourself group, which includes the members of this forum. Since I rarely see microwave questions on most forums, including mine, I assume it is from lack of guidance. Most people shun repairing these due to the high cost of service calls vs. replacement.

I'm not necessarily promoting a product here, but for all of you who have wished they knew more about microwaves, this is definitely a solution.

"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
Re: Microwave Oven Repairs- A DIY friendly approach
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 07:35:22 AM »
Years ago when I started I was the only technician in our shop that would touch a microwave.
There were many day's I would repair 8,9, 10 microwaves a day in the shop as people would bring them to you.

Now the only microwaves I ever look at are the ones above the range and some of them are getting so cheap now too.

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 07:54:30 AM »
You're right about the slack in microwave repairs lately. This started when prices suddenly dropped to $100 or less for base models. (Thank you NAFTA). Remember Goldstar?  Now look at LG!  At any rate, I carry one of his CDs in my laptop case for reference now. Although people don't call me out specifically for microwaves, I make it a point to mention that I repair them while on a washer or oven call. You never know when you might get a positive response.

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 07:58:59 AM »
Whens the last time you used one of his CD's?

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 08:05:43 AM »
Last Friday, April 4th on a Sharp Carousel issue a customer was having. Went right to the wiring diagram. A week before that, I encountered a GE Advantium in the field that threw me a loop until I found it also referenced on the CD. Don't know about you, but the service on these is definitely there.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 08:11:06 AM by Repair-man »

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 08:56:39 AM »
I have found that people do not want to plunk down 75 bucks for a magnetron when a new microwave costs less than that at wally world.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline apptech

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 01:21:58 PM »
Years ago when I started I was the only technician in our shop that would touch a microwave.
There were many day's I would repair 8,9, 10 microwaves a day in the shop as people would bring them to you.

Now the only microwaves I ever look at are the ones above the range and some of them are getting so cheap now too.

Same here. First thought I had when I see that site was how old the photos look.

Like this one here. How old is that microwave in the photo, 25 years?

I would have about as much use for the Microwave cd's as I do for them AOL ones, lol..

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 01:34:26 PM »
Some of the pics are dated, but the technical information is current to 2008. Then again, there are technicians who use bailing wire and lug nuts to make repairs...I worry about them too.

As for who would invest in repairs, there are hundreds of apartment maintenance departments and property management companies that benefit from repair vs. replacement. You'd be surprised how having the repair guide has changed the way some of them save money.

$75 dollars won't touch the replacement cost of an under the cabinet microwave. How droll that you would compare this to WalMart junk.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 01:47:24 PM by Repair-man »

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 01:38:49 PM »
I have found that people do not want to plunk down 75 bucks for a magnetron when a new microwave costs less than that at wally world.

That's for sure JW. I'm so old I remember people that would bring me toasters to fix.
You would never even think of taking a toaster to a repair shop now.

Microwaves will soon be like toaster, just buy a new one.

I think some of the dishwashers are getting so cheap now day's too that they may end up the same way as toasters and microwave ovens.

Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline apptech

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 01:52:15 PM »
$75 dollars won't touch the replacement cost of an under the cabinet microwave. How droll that you would compare this to WalMart junk.

I have seen whirlpool brand under the cabinet microwaves in Menards for less then $200

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 02:27:16 PM »
Did it occur to you that some people actually buy upscale products with advanced features that they would like to keep around for awhile? I'm talking mainly to those people with Advantiums and convection features that bargain outlets don't offer cheaply. How about combination microwave over an oven ($1850)? Can't find those at Menards either. Of course no one in their right mind would fix a WalMart microwave with a bad mag tube.

on the other hand...

Who wouldn't want to fix their microwave if it were only a $3.00 fuse or a $6.00 door switch? How else would they know without a repair guide? Let's think practically here, gentlemen. Not every microwave failure is always a magnetron. One of the reasons people have gotten gun-shy over fixing stuff is some of the outrageous repair estimates given to them by technicians who don't know microwaves as well as they could. The tech will back out by proposing a high price rather than admit he is bumfuzzled. I know how this works, guys, I run behind a lot of this every day.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 04:32:30 PM by Repair-man »

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 05:41:02 PM »
Those over the counter humongus microwaves would be great if they were not so under powered. I wish I could be in charge of the asics in those machines. I would shoot for a 240 volt dual Magnetron over the counter model with the capacity to cook a 25 pound turkey in record time.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

The "All-in-One" Microwave Oven Maintenance and Repair Answerbook on CD-ROM

Started by 66carlos66

Replies: 4
Views: 2821
Last post June 30, 2008, 10:00:56 PM
by Repair-man
Kitchenaid Oven & Microwave F1 E3 Error

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 4640
Last post October 04, 2008, 07:31:40 AM