Forum > Range, Oven & Cooktop Repair

Microwave Oven Repairs- A DIY friendly approach

(1/3) > >>

Repair-man:
One of my old time associates in Florida, a Mr. John Gallawa, is an authority on microwave ovens. I have relied on his advice countless times in the past when I would encounter a commercial microwave in the field that I could not figure out. He wrote several reference books and is currently producing CDs and DVDs  for both the service industry and the do-it-yourself group, which includes the members of this forum. Since I rarely see microwave questions on most forums, including mine, I assume it is from lack of guidance. Most people shun repairing these due to the high cost of service calls vs. replacement.

I'm not necessarily promoting a product here, but for all of you who have wished they knew more about microwaves, this is definitely a solution.

whirlpooltech:
Years ago when I started I was the only technician in our shop that would touch a microwave.
There were many day's I would repair 8,9, 10 microwaves a day in the shop as people would bring them to you.

Now the only microwaves I ever look at are the ones above the range and some of them are getting so cheap now too.

Repair-man:
You're right about the slack in microwave repairs lately. This started when prices suddenly dropped to $100 or less for base models. (Thank you NAFTA). Remember Goldstar?  Now look at LG!  At any rate, I carry one of his CDs in my laptop case for reference now. Although people don't call me out specifically for microwaves, I make it a point to mention that I repair them while on a washer or oven call. You never know when you might get a positive response.

whirlpooltech:
Whens the last time you used one of his CD's?

Repair-man:
Last Friday, April 4th on a Sharp Carousel issue a customer was having. Went right to the wiring diagram. A week before that, I encountered a GE Advantium in the field that threw me a loop until I found it also referenced on the CD. Don't know about you, but the service on these is definitely there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version