Author Topic: Whirlpool washer wont spin  (Read 2052 times)

Offline glacr947

• VIP Member
Whirlpool washer wont spin
« on: November 18, 2011, 07:45:39 AM »
I have a Whirlpool washer (MOD-LSN2000PW4) that will not spin. The washer has good agitation and the pump drains the water ok. After reading other complaints about the same problem I dissassembled the motor and gearcase from the machine. This machine has such little use that the motor coupling and clutch are in pristine condition as are the motor and gearcase. I did find a light coating of oil on the underside of the gearcase. Having a good motor coupling and clutch does this mean I have a faulty gearcase? If it is the gearcase is the gearcase  repairable or do i have to buy a new one? Also i bypassed the lid switch with everything assembled (except outer cabinet) and watched the clutch spin while the basket does nothing. Please help... would greatly appreciate any assistance.                 

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
Re: Whirlpool washer wont spin
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 07:54:02 AM »
i bypassed the lid switch with everything assembled (except outer cabinet) and watched the clutch spin while the basket does nothing.

If the clutch is spinning then the gearcase is doing it's job.

There could be something caught between the basket and outer tub that is keeping the basket from spinning.
I have also seen nails and such things get stuck in one of the holes in the basket and grab the outer tub keeping it from spinning.

Get a flashlight and look at all the holes in the basket to make sure a nail or something is not caught in one of the holes first.
If you don't find anything there then I would remove the agitator and then the basket to have a look.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 07:59:02 AM »
If you end up removing the agitator also take a look at the Drive Block under the agitator to see if it's stripped out.
You can tell if it's stopped by watching it with the agitator removed and putting it in the spin cycle.

If the spin tube spins around inside the block, but the block and tub don't spin then it's stripped out and needs to be replaced.
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 09:44:01 AM »
Good advice AJ .  O0

Let us know what you find or if you have any other questions.

Offline glacr947

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 11:35:47 AM »
So what your saying is reassemble everything except the agitator and put it on a spin cycle. If gearcase is good clutch is spinning and if clutch is spinning so should the drive block. Is that correct?

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 11:46:40 AM »
If gearcase is good clutch is spinning and if clutch is spinning so should the drive block. Is that correct?

Yes, it should be.
Unless the drive block is bad or something is physically holding the basket from moving. Such as something between the tub and basket.

Offline glacr947

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 12:14:31 PM »
No obstruction between tub/basket and drive block spins with basket so no i'm really baffled as to the problem. Could faulty timer switch be the cause?

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 12:20:40 PM »
I assume the motor is running during the spin cycle as you said the clutch is spinning correct?

If the motor is running then I doubt it's anything electrical such as a timer or lid switch.

Could be your clutch is just slipping.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 04:53:39 PM »
My brother had a worn drive gear. The new part comes with that gear and a new pinion            You must dig deeper:

« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 04:57:18 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline glacr947

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 03:49:23 PM »
Thank you for the info...I overlooked the drive block (actually i was looking at the drive block nut and not the drive block itself) which was stripped out. My Whirlpool washer now works almost like a new washer. I recently discovered that you can't wash clothes in warm water, only hot or cold. When set on warm the water initially comes out warm but quickly turns to hot. I checked the water supply hoses and they are connected correctly. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks
                                                   Greg

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 04:00:18 PM »
The water inlet valve has a built in thermistor that senses the water temp. You probably have a bad water inlet valve.

Keep in mind that some washers cycle/pulse the hot/cold water on and off when you select a warm wash, but if during a warm wash it switches to hot water only and never pulse the cold water back on then I would replace the water inlet valve.

Offline glacr947

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 04:43:52 PM »
Thank you kindly! After watching it fill on warm I see that the sensor frequenty is turning the cold water off and on again. I do wonder when its shooting out hot water if there is a potential for clothes to be damaged/shrunk?

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 04:54:04 PM »
Thank you kindly! After watching it fill on warm I see that the sensor frequenty is turning the cold water off and on again. I do wonder when its shooting out hot water if there is a potential for clothes to be damaged/shrunk?

Sounds like it's working as it should and has always worked.
Most people never notice how the washer pulse the hot/cold to get the warm water until there had been another problem.

I would not worry about it doing any damage to the cloths, it's been doing it that way sense it was new.

Whirlpool Roper Washer Wont Spin

Started by psubill

Replies: 1
Views: 2532
Last post November 12, 2008, 10:47:11 AM
by JWWebster
whirlpool washer will agitate wont spin

Started by whit

Views: 2452
Last post November 15, 2008, 03:07:35 PM
by JWWebster
Whirlpool washer wont drain or spin

Started by Skivy

Replies: 5
Views: 4053
Last post July 02, 2009, 07:28:26 PM
by whirlpooltech
whirlpool washer wont spin or agitate already replaced coupling what else??

Started by crazy7605150

Replies: 10
Views: 4836
Last post October 12, 2009, 10:53:21 PM
by Washaman
whirlpool washer wont spin unless i push on timer switch for just a second..

Started by kentammy

Views: 377
Last post August 22, 2013, 01:19:24 PM
by dab147315
Repair Guide: Whirlpool Direct Drive Washer - No agitate or spin

Started by AJ

Replies: 13
Views: 27649
Last post January 02, 2009, 01:09:38 PM
by AJ