Author Topic: Whirlpool Duet second tub replacement  (Read 3800 times)

Offline volkskid

• VIP Member
Whirlpool Duet second tub replacement
« on: November 20, 2011, 04:55:49 PM »
Hello. This is the second time I write on these forums, and it's for the same reason. In 2008 I had the tub replaced on our Whirlpool front load washer.(mod.GHW9400PL1). The bearing was shot and the washer sounded like a plane taking off each time it would spin. Back then my washer was still under warranty. Well today I started hearing the bearing again. This time my washer is no longer under warranty.
I just wanted to know if this is normal that the bearing wears out so quickly? We paid good money back in 2006 for these machines. Buying Whirlpool we thought we were buying quality. I'm doubting that right now. In the first 3 month's of having the washer, we had the pump replaced, then in 08 the tub.....and now I will have to replace the tub again. Does anyone know if there is an extended warranty or a recall for this? I registered our machines when we first got them, and I have never received any note of a recall so I guess there isn't any.
Do you think I can complain to Whirlpool about this problem and maybe receive a discount on parts or something? The tub is 610$ on the Whirlpool site. If I need to replace the tub again in 3 years, I don't think it's worth replacing. I can buy a new machine for 1200$.
I would like to know if anyone has had the same problem as us, and how did you go about it.

Thank You.
Not so happy Whirlpool client

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
Re: Whirlpool Duet second tub replacement
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 05:13:22 PM »
Do you think I can complain to Whirlpool about this problem and maybe receive a discount on parts or something?

Never hurt to try.

The tub is 610$ on the Whirlpool site.

It's about $200 cheaper HERE.

If I need to replace the tub again in 3 years, I don't think it's worth replacing. I can buy a new machine for 1200$.

If your going to do the repair yourself it maybe worth it.

If you decided to call whirlpool let us know what they say.

Offline volkskid

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 05:40:40 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll send Whirlpool an email.

Offline volkskid

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 05:42:25 PM »
Oh wait, all those replies were from one guy.....LOL thank you.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 05:45:13 PM »
From the Forum:
Duet washer started getting louder and louder during the spin cycle. When I manually turned the basket I could feel that the bearings were shot. A quick search of the internet confirmed that this problem was no fluke. I found an illustrated parts breakdown of my washer online, and saw that Whirlpool only offers a replacement rear tub assembly, at a cost of $408. Needless to say, I was peeved. I paid about $960 two years ago for this machine, and now it will require $6-700 in repairs. Unacceptable. So, having a mechanical background, I started to tear into the machine myself. I tore it all the way down to the rear tub half. I found what appeared to be the problem with my machine, hair. Hair worked its way to the bearing area, slowed unseated the seal, and then acted as a conduit for water to enter the bearing cavity. The seal itself actually looked fine. Yet the steel hub that the bearings are pressed into was badly corroded, as were the bearings, and even the driveshaft had corrosion on it. I pounded out the cheap factory bearings, cleaned up the bearing cavity and driveshaft, and replaced them with some higher quality Toyo's from my local bearings and drive store, P/N's 6206ZZC3 & 6205ZZC3. Unfortunately they didnt have a suitable replacement seal in stock. I didnt damage the factory one too badly upon removal, so I straightened it up with a couple of hammer taps, made sure it sealed nicely against the driveshaft, and reused it. The new bearings cost me $20. I made sure I sent a nastygram to Whirlpool, they offered me a replacement rear tub for 50% off, I told them to stick it. Hopefully I get at least 3 more years out of it, I've already started looking for my next machine, I'm likely going to buy a SpeedQueen. Anyways, if your tub bearings are shot and you have the will, they can be replaced yourself for a fraction of the cost of a factory rear tub half. My advice, take notes during disassembly, keep all the hardware from the different components you remove separated from one another. Dont be afraid to use permanent marker to write reminders directly on the components as theyll be hidden inside the reassembled washer when done. I did the repairs by myself, having a helper wouldve made things much easier. As for tools, I was shocked at how few I actually needed. A nut driver or torx apex, a 1/2" socket and rachet, some slip joint pliers, a wrench to remove the drive pulley, and a hammer and punch to remove/install the bearings.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline volkskid

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 06:27:11 PM »
Ha! When my tub was replaced in 2008 under warranty, the repair guy left me the old tub with the worn out bearing. I took a good look at it and said to myself I should keep it and replace the bearing and reuse the the tub if one day my new one screws up again. Well, I did none of that. I was fed up seeing the old tub laying around the garage and threw it out. Thinking I'd never need to replace the tub again.
Thank you for the bearing part number. It's sure this is the direction I will take to repair my washer. I watched the repair guy replacing my tub back in 2008 and actually lent him tools to replace the tub. I'm an automobile mechanic by trade, so disassembling and assembling the washer won't be to hard. I only wish I had kept my old tub so I could have replaced the bearing before taking apart the washer. It would save on washer down time.
It's a real piss off that these machines are so expensive, yet full of cr@p!

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 09:42:16 PM »
If you want to try replacing the bearings, here's where you can get the parts.

Offline volkskid

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 10:39:39 PM »
Wow! Thanks a lot for the info. This will make my life easier in trying to find the bearing.
Sorry Whirlpool...... You won't be getting 600$ from me!

Offline Brent@CanBC

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 11:43:47 PM »
Should I do this,  or should I do that.     :-\    Obviously fixing it your self, would be much lower in costs if you have the right directions, and know how, and patience.   I am not posting to piss you off, or take away some of your concerns, that Whirlpool Quality might not be what you think is Quality.

I am looking at my 30th year in fixing Whirlpool stuff,  and ON/THE WHOLE, find Whirlpool reliable appliances.  What I do find is this, and again,  you have your concerns,  and I am just pointing out my many years at looking, listening, and finding  out  how MOST home owners run their stuff.

If you could come with me,  JUST WATCH AND LISTEN,  nothing else,  to watch and see what I remove from a pump,  or how and what the home owner puts in their stuff,  would really open your eyes.  I had one with 7 kids,  and also they rented to two poeple in the basement,  so they just couldn't figure out why there expensive stuff was breaking down so much.   One thing that I did, was call the lady down stairs and show her why I was replacing her pump.  Expensive to.   She didn't remove anything from the pockets.  When I showed her how the money and pins and screws wore the impeller off,  it was no big deal, just fix it and we are good to go again.

Next was two of the front shocks were broken off,  and it was banging on the washer walls, so replace them,  more cost.  Probably form Over loading.   O we never over load she said.  But there on the floor wet, was a King size quilt.  Like I said,  the home owner can do some crazy things.  Mind U as long as they are paying,  I can carry on.

In your case, a pump at 2 months,  I would of liked to of seen it to look at it a little closer.  Also its a 2006 machine,  and you replaced the tub etc in 2008 and now you are back for a 2nd go at the same issues, and its 2011.  How many is living in the home?  And are the kids girls.   

As all appliance techs know,  we don't care one bit how much or how little you put into this washer,  or how heavy it is.   How many loads are actually to light,  or to heavy,  but we know the home owner does some crazy stuff with their washers.

I had one a while ago, that sounded like yours did,  sounded like a jet taking off, down the run way.   They let it run like that for months, before phoneing and asking for assistance.   They also left the door shut, so it did have that friendly smell to it,  and them also had a smell to them.   

No one is asking for my opinion,  but in all the years of Whirlpool manufactured appliances,  they are still the BEST to buy,  and if they are USED properly,  ALL THE TIME,  they will LAST, and give good longivity, and are Quality machines.   I live in Canada,  and most of my major appliances are from the USA,  and I work on Samsung and LG's,  and Whirlpools are at the top on my list.  ALL my appliances I have, are Whirlpools, nothing else.

Again,  you have not asked for my opinion.   My opinion doesn't cost you a cent,   I am just giving you my 30 years of experience for free.  Priceless.  Brent@CanBC

Online RAH52

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 06:26:24 PM »
Amen brother
Been at this game for 38 years

donate
$1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $50

Video: Whirlpool Made Direct Drive Washer Motor Coupler Replacement

Started by AJ

Replies: 18
Views: 40980
Last post May 18, 2010, 06:53:50 AM
by gimpyjones
Photos: Whirlpool Duet washer with bad bearings, only 2.5 years old!

Started by AJ

Replies: 21
Views: 31384
Last post May 23, 2013, 08:22:19 PM
by Rick32k
Video: Whirlpool Duet Front Load Washer Water Pump Clean Out.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 6055
Last post November 28, 2007, 09:58:47 PM
by AJ
How to replace a Whirlpool Duet washer bellow tub door seal

Started by AJ

Replies: 39
Views: 71201
Last post December 24, 2013, 12:16:46 AM
by GB-NC
Whirlpool Duet Sport Error f-01