Author Topic: Samsung DV218AGB/XAA heat stops minutes after starting.  (Read 218 times)

Offline JerseyFF

• VIP Member
Samsung DV218AGB/XAA heat stops minutes after starting.
« on: December 03, 2014, 08:28:07 AM »
Hey folks, thank you in advance for any help you may be able to offer.

I have the dryer mentioned above with a heating problem. When I turn on the dryer, the drum heats for the first few minutes of the cycle and then stops heating. The drum continues to turn. The vent stack was cleaned from the flex pipe up to where it exits the home. After the first few minutes and the heat cuts out you can hear a faint buzzing coming from under the dryer. The buzzing lasts 10 seconds in duration and at 60 second intervals. I have gone as removing the top cover and lower rear vent cover to assure all electrical connections accessible are secure. I have no problem replacing the part(s) that are defective, I would just like to narrow down what part could be the issue without having to order multiple parts to see what sticks.

I should also note my wife has always used "timed dry" because she was never satisfied with sensor dry's capabilities.

Again, thank you for your time. 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 08:29:21 AM by JerseyFF »

Offline andyf80

• Technician
    • Board Restored
Re: Samsung DV218AGB/XAA heat stops minutes after starting.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 02:34:17 PM »
Hi JerseyFF,
I'd check the cycling thermostat to see that it tests good.  While you're in there, I'd check the other thermal fuses & thermistors for continuity as well, but the thermostat sounds likely.

With the POWER OFF -
Locate the cycling thermostat on the heating element
You'll need to remove one of the wires and then test for continuity.
Set your meter to Ohm setting
You're looking for the meter to change from OL to show some type of resistance. Usually .02-.06

If all of these parts test good, I'd check to be sure you've got a good steady 240v coming in to the terminal block. Have someone jiggle the cord at the wall and see if the 240v drops out. You may start here as it's the easier of the two jobs. If you have a bad plug or socket the 240v can cut in and out between 120v & 240v. Half of it runs the drum and the other half runs the heat.

To test:
Unplug the unit.
remove the plate that covers the plug wires. (I.e. The terminal block cover)
Set your meter to volts setting
Touch your probes to the outside wires (of the 3 wires with screws in them)
- be careful not to touch your fingers to the metal part of the probe.
Have someone else plug in the machine and wiggle the cord around.

You should see no variation in the voltage. It should be 240v - Steady on.

Remove probes
Remove cord from wall
Replace cover

Let us know what you find.

Discontinued Control Board Repair

Online keithvibe

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 03:50:58 PM »
First thing I would do is remove the vent from the back of the dryer and get some heat cycle checks. This will do two things, rule out a venting concern and see what the dryer is cycling at.

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 07:39:14 PM »
board restored , it's a gas dryer, and although i don't diSagree with keith, watch the carbon monoxide. Gas are VERY sensitive to duct lengths and Samsung chooses to use a auto reset rollout which it may have been cycling on INSTEAD of thermister with clogged stack. I would suspect rollout bi metal located at top left of burner tube.

Offline JerseyFF

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 08:38:56 PM »
Hey guys, sorry it took a bit to respond. After pulling the top and watching the igniter light every 60 seconds I knew both the igniter and either thermostat and sensor were working properly.. So I leaned towards the fact I was having a gas problem. I was about to get a whole gas valve assy when I stumbled across a post describing that the coils on the gas valve go bad. For 8 bucks instead of of risking 80 I bought the coils and replaced them. Victory! No buzzing, heats as usual. A small caveat is since I did a THOROUGH cleaning from the vent tube in the dryer to the roof there is less to no dog hair getting trapped in the drum after cleaning doggy's crate sheets. Thanks for help and direction in getting me through this.

Maytag Electric (PYE2300AYW): Stops after 2 minutes only in Heat Cycle

Started by rockinrobin

Replies: 9
Views: 1665
Last post June 10, 2013, 07:31:23 PM
by JWWebster
GE Hotpoint dryer won't heat unless i use the minutes timer on the dial

Started by big t

Replies: 1
Views: 2315
Last post March 25, 2009, 10:09:51 PM
by Repair-man
Neptune Dryer Heat Stops and Starts, Repeat....

Started by ducttape

Replies: 2
Views: 2110
Last post January 21, 2010, 07:18:10 PM
by jumptrout51
DV218AEW/XAA Samsung Dryer no heat

Started by ddavis263

Replies: 2
Views: 10913
Last post January 18, 2011, 08:40:41 PM
by ddavis263
Samsung dryer shuts off after four minutes o