Author Topic: whirlpool lsc9000pw0 grinding noise during high agitation  (Read 1077 times)

Offline ActionFigure

• VIP Member
whirlpool lsc9000pw0 grinding noise during high agitation
« on: November 24, 2011, 06:05:10 AM »
Hello! I am really hoping someone has seen(heard) this before & can help me out. I really do not want to buy a new washer. Thank you for taking the time to read this & I hope it makes sense.

1st- it wasn't spinning- replaced clutch. There was quite a bit of oil sprayed on interior of cabinet. Worked about a week. Then began trying to agitate during spin & would begin spin before draining. I pulled the tranny & replaced all of the seals, the neutral drain kit & the agitator cam & follower. Also cleaned out the oil & replaced it with 14oz new. Also cleaned tub etc... It worked beautifully for 3 weeks.

Then- :'(  It began making a rhythmic grinding noise during high agitation. It doesn't make the noise on low agitate, only on high. It doesn't make the noise if the lower agitator is off- even in high agitate (but no articles of clothing in the machine). My husband said it had to be dog ears so I replaced. no change. Then, he went out & bought an entire agitator assembly. It still makes the noise.

It does sound like when the dog ears go bad but louder to me. I used a mechanics stethoscope & I can hear the sound fairly loudly from the clutch & the brake. When I placed it against the tranny I didn't hear anything unusual. I had read that this sound may be due to too much clearance for the gears in the tranny. Is there a way to check this? Are there other things which may cause this sound?

Model lsc9000pw0

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: whirlpool lsc9000pw0 grinding noise during high agitation
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 08:26:29 AM »
Maybe yall got the coupling too far against the tranny.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline jbtools

• Technician
Re: whirlpool lsc9000pw0 grinding noise during high agitation
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 08:04:22 PM »
Sounds like the basket drive. this is the tube and brake assy that the gearcase slides up into. ( only noisey on spin, try holding the agitator still while its spinning to see if the noise goes away)

donate
$1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $50

Whirlpool Washer Noise During Agitation and no Spin

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 3
Views: 4488
Last post June 19, 2008, 09:00:45 PM
by JWWebster
whirlpool washer high agitate noise and slipping

Started by sadman

Replies: 1
Views: 1418