Author Topic: Newer Accuwave Microwave Hood Combo repeated magnetron failures & F7 codes  (Read 2878 times)

Offline whjeffs

• Technician
Has anyone else out there seen an alarming number of these microwaves with repeated magnetron and inverter failures? Model # GMH5205XVS-0 is just one example but there are many other models made within the past 1-2 years that have this same cavity / waveguide design. Symptoms are no heat or intermittent no heat along with F7 codes. What we are finding is severe arcing in the waveguide. I have attached a picture of the burnt waveguide & magnetron. Other points of arcing are sometimes one of the 3 "posts" that are inside the waveguide. The posts seem to be there to help disperse the microwaves as there is no stirrer fan in these models. The burns in the waveguide can usually be seen without pulling the unit down by removing the waveguide cover inside the cavity & looking up inside it with a mirror & flashlight. Usually you will find fine pieces of burnt metal at the bottom of the waveguide opening when you remove the cover if it has been arcing for a long time.

Because of the burnt waveguide, Whirlpool is having to replace these units when they fail, if they are still under warranty. Unfortunately for the customers, these units only have a 1 year warranty, with no more extended coverage on the magnetron or cavity. So once these things burn up after the first year, the customer will have to buy a new one. Simply replacing the magnetron on these units has resulted in the magnetron burning out quickly again.

I personally have seen 15 - 20 of these microwaves that have burnt up like this over the past 9 months. Other techs in my company are also seeing the same. Whirlpool is refusing to acknowledge that these units have a problem. I think they are hoping the majority of them make it past a year so they are off the hook.

Anyone else seeing these?

Offline rego

• Technician
  • Quality Service You Can Afford
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • Reges Service and Repair
Wow, that's a potential product recall situation.

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
Whirlpool GMH5205XVB0 Inverter Microwave Oven
built by Panasonic
run away !
After leaving this Earth, "Do you want the smoking or non-smoking section?"

Offline whjeffs

• Technician
What makes you think this is built by Panasonic? I am usually pretty good at spotting products made by manufacturers other than what they are labeled as and I have not noticed any similarities in these new Whirlpool models to any of the Panasonics I have seen. Do you have any further info on this?

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
I beleive (almost) all Inverter M/W are made by Panasonic.
 Whirlpool Inverter part # W10217711
Panasonic Inverter part # F606Y6G00CP

used in Panasonic M/W
NNH264W
NNH275WF
NNH504BFR
N-H504SFR
NNH504WFR
NNH624BFR
NN-H624SFR
NNH624WFR
NN-H625
NNH625BF
NNSN756B
HMB5020
HMB5050
HMB5060
MBEB
MBES
MBESLFTD
MBEW
NNH965BF
NNH965WF
NNH965WFB
NNS935BF
NNSA646M
NNSA746M
NNSD696S
NNSD986S
NNSN656S
NNSN676S
NNSN756B
NNSN756BT
NNSN756S
NNSN776S
NNT664SF
NNT664SFT
NNT945SF
After leaving this Earth, "Do you want the smoking or non-smoking section?"

Offline whjeffs

• Technician
I have noticed that before as I owned a Panasonic countertop inverter type microwave. However I don't think the whole unit is made by Panasonic. Nothing else about the Whirlpool units looks like a Panasonic design. Maybe that's the whole reason these new ones are arcing in the waveguide. Haven't seen any Panasonics doing that! Poor Whirlpool engineering.

Offline ApplianceGuru

• Technician
There is an issue with the magnetrons overheating on these models.  Whirlpool issued a service bulletin back in December 2011.

It involves replacing main board with newer board design, magnetron, magnetron air duct, and a bunch of other parts.

It's a pricey fix, even if you DIY.
Appliance Heating & Air Tech

Offline whjeffs

• Technician
Where can I find this service bulletin? I have never seen it.

There is an issue with the magnetrons overheating on these models.  Whirlpool issued a service bulletin back in December 2011.

It involves replacing main board with newer board design, magnetron, magnetron air duct, and a bunch of other parts.

It's a pricey fix, even if you DIY.

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Here it is.

Offline whjeffs

• Technician
Thanks tgoods! Wow that bulletin is dated December 2011. I must have had atleast a dozen of them replaced in 2012 from burnt waveguides. Nobody ever mentioned this bulletin.
I wonder what is different with the parts in the kit, particularly how different the control board operates. And why is a new glass tray & coupler included in the kit?

Offline appltech

• Technician
    • Appliance Technology
I service a fair amount of GE products. Most of the high voltage parts have LG or Panasonic labels on them. I know this isn't new. I have seen one wave guide and stirrer burned on a GE so apparently it isn't only a whirlpool issue. I've replaced a couple of intermittently heating magnetrons failing prematurely lately. I'll be looking into the wave guides on every call from now on! Thanks!

KM-31 Whirlpool Microwave Oven/Hood Combo Service Repair Manual

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 928
Last post August 18, 2009, 12:33:57 PM
by AJ
KAC-48 KitchenAid Microwave Hood Combo Service Repair Manual

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 1553
Last post August 18, 2009, 12:36:58 PM
by AJ