Author Topic: Kenmore Side By Side Refrigerator not getting cold - Start Relay? Model -  (Read 5027 times)

Offline Ronyeager

• VIP Member
Model - 106.51574200
Hey everyone, good to be back chatting with everyone.  Right out of the gate I have an issue I need some help with.  I am working on a Kenmore side by side unit that will not get cold.  When plugged in the lights come on, the evap fan turn on and the condenser fan is running as well.  I figured "oh easy, start relay.  I took the relay off and shook it and I could hear all the pieces shaking inside of it, yet, when I ohm that relay it ohm with perfectly.  I also ohm the compressor pins and they tested fine as well.  I changed the start relay and I heard the compressor come on for a second then shut down.  Maybe I am doing the wiring wrong on the new relay??  Also, is there a certain type of relay this Kenmore has to take?  Thanks guys.

Offline Major

• VIP Member
Hi: if the start relay rattles when shaken it is gone and needs replacement. ohming it is useless. ohm the pins for short, ground and open windings. If ok then it is likely that the compressor has a mechanical problem not electrical or the cap tube is plugged. These can be costly repairs. Check the warranty as some makers give up to 5 years or more on the sealed system.

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
The start capacitor should be checked also. It may be a case of a compressor getting tight and needs a boost capacitor added to the circuit.
Try a 3n1 start kit to see if it will run. A couple or 3 false starts may occur.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline krazytech

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Sound to me like you have the wired incorrectly ..  Most compressor are wire with the common on the overload (one in the center ) then L1 on the (2) ...the capacitor is a run capacitor and will not affect the starting of the compressor...
Check the Basics first!!! Read the Manual !!!Buy the tech a Beer!!!

Side by Side Refrigerator - Model: frs6r5embf

Started by Savage702

Replies: 1
Views: 3055
Last post June 06, 2012, 04:08:13 PM
by AJ
Kenmore Coldspot side by side refrigerator

Started by kornbread3

Views: 5374
Last post March 01, 2009, 07:34:29 AM
by Repair-man
kenmore side by side refrigerator over heating

Started by bobxnyer

Replies: 5
Views: 4488
Last post May 26, 2009, 04:56:34 AM
by RegUS_PatOff
Inglis side by side Refrigerator not turning on to keep cold??

Started by chadurban

Views: 2399
Last post July 25, 2009, 03:51:11 PM
by Repair-man
Kenmore side by side fridge doesn't get cold

Started by deadeye

Replies: 2
Views: 3548
Last post December 14, 2010, 08:00:57 AM
by JWWebster
Kenmore side-by-side refrigerator - crushed ice only