Author Topic: Kenmore (Whirlpool) gas range 665.75012100  (Read 1655 times)

Offline ryan111

• Technician
    • Appliance-repair-it.com
Kenmore (Whirlpool) gas range 665.75012100
« on: October 19, 2011, 12:45:45 PM »
Hi guys I have a Kenmore (Whirlpool made) gas range. The bake burner will come on for about 3 seconds then go out.

This unit has a spark igniter, spark modular/gas valve control, main board and a gas valve.

When you start the bake cycle the main board sends 120V to the correct pins on the spark control and remains this way until the bake cycle is canceled.

The spark control sends 10VDC to the gas valve (as the mini manual says it should) while at the same time the spark igniter starts to spark until the flame lights. About three seconds after the flame lights the flame goes out and I lose my 10VDC to the gas valve.

My feelings were that the spark control was bad but replacing it didn’t help.

The mini manual did mention that if the polarity was reversed the flame will light but not flame detect so the control will go into a lock out mode. I checked and the polarity was good and everything was grounded good.

I think my problem has something to do with this flame detection but I just don’t know what to check because the mini manual doesn’t mention the flame detection other than the polarity thing. At this point I am stuck and I hope someone can help.

Model 665.75012100
http://www.appliance-repair-it.com/
Where everyone can repair it!

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline rego

• Technician
  • Quality Service You Can Afford
    • Reges Service and Repair
Re: Kenmore (Whirlpool) gas range 665.75012100
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 06:24:06 PM »
I am waiting on parts for a simular model.  NO bake or broil but spark's, stove ignites no problem.  I checked the igniter's, oven thermostat, then gas valve...all check out..went through the handbook and checked DSI (noticed small burn mark's at the J1 plug) and had correct voltage except to the gas valve nothing on bake and intermittent mili volts on broil.  I'm going to put in new DSI and believe the problem will be solved.  BTW had no fault codes and could not get any from the memory.  I'll let you know what I come up with

Offline ryan111

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 06:44:40 PM »
Rego

I have a DSI control I would love to sell you.  :2funny:

Since I have never worked on one of these before I will have a hard time selling it.

JWWebster 
Thank you for the link it was very helpful!! I wish I had it when I was working on this range last Friday. I printed the manual out and will have it tomorrow when I go back.

I read the whole manual and I have a good understanding on how it works. But what I still don’t understand is what detects the flame. The service manual talks about the “flame safety check” by using the “flame safety circuit” however I don’t see where it tells what actually detects the flame. Does anyone know?

Offline rego

• Technician
  • Quality Service You Can Afford
    • Reges Service and Repair
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 06:48:07 PM »
Mine is on the way, but I will remember next time.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 07:50:27 PM »
My guess is the igniter is like a Kanthall type. It lights off the fire and then it becomes like a thermocouple or flame sensor sending back the resistance of the heat from the flame to the control which is looking for a measurement.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline tgoods

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 08:27:57 PM »
There are a few bulletins on Servicematters for this problem.  What's your serial number?

Offline ryan111

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 10:07:45 PM »
I was thinking igniter as will but I couldn’t confirm this even with the service manual.

I got a buddy that runs another appliance shop that is going to give me an igniter to try so I wont have to wait another week for the part. This same guy was going to come with me and call Whirlpool but he said they wouldn’t talk to him since it is a Kenmore.   

According to the flow chart at the back of the service manual I have a gas distributor problem but from what I have read in the manual to me it seems like the igniter (if the igniter is what detects the flame).

It says that it has to have a good ground and the polarity must be right to detect the flame. I have confirmed that the polarity is correct and the ground is connected. 
    I don’t have the serial number now but I have to go back tomorrow and I will get it.

Removing main top on whirlpool gas range with sealed burners

Started by Vornato

Replies: 1
Views: 7953
Last post December 06, 2007, 07:17:47 AM
by apptech
Whirlpool Range - Top Burner Not Working

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 3444