Author Topic: What's your opinion on laying fridges on there side?  (Read 4202 times)

Online Washaman

• Technician
What's your opinion on laying fridges on there side?
« on: October 15, 2011, 08:20:17 PM »
Model number for this fridge is available, but it's wayyyyy downstairs and I can't move. What's everyone opinion on laying fridges on there side? I always heard it's a no no, and if you do have to transport on it's side you should not plug it in for 24 hours after standing it back up? I always transport my fridges upright, but the other day I had to lay one on it's side for about 40 minutes. I got it home at 12:30PM on Thursday and have not plugged it in yet. The only reason I transported it like this is I was in my minivan and was FREE. It was working/plugged in making ice etc. when I removed it. It's a 2007 Frigidaire Double-Door and I layed it on the right/fridge side where the compressor is located. So what's everyones opinion? Yay or nay? Model # is coming...

Offline Brent@CanBC

• Technician
Re: What's your opinion on laying fridges on there side?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 08:40:10 PM »
Have never had a issue with this,  as you know in the compression cyling make sure that you lay the fridge so that the oil in the pot isn't on the suction port, so that when you upright the fridge the oil from the pot hasn't saturated the suction port at start up.   Suction port is vapour not liquid.  And as you know the larger line from the evaporator is the suction port, so lay it on the discharge port, smaller line out of the compressor.   Oil does move with the gas through the system, but the pot is the area of concern as MOST of the Refrigeration oil is in the pot.    I still fix fridges, but don't do NO MORE sealed systems, as am to old,  and not able to do that stuff anymore.  Can't see, can't hear,  am forgeting,  my mom says thats a sign of having a "clear conscience" so guess she is right hey.   Have been in the business hugging 30 years now,  and never had a issue with laying a fridge down, on the discharge side only.  And also I have always layed them down, after removing the shelves etc.  And just plug them in and away they go.   I have a mini van also.  Brent@CanBC

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 09:17:12 PM »
What Brent said. :)

When the new refrigerators come in on the truck they have the ones on top laying what ever way they fit, on there back, side, front, etc...

I guess they figure that by the time the refrigerator is unloaded and delivered to someone house it will have been up right for 24 hours, that or the guys packing the Whirlpool trucks just don't care.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 09:39:20 PM »
Brent me and you is twin cousins no doubt. I am taking care of my 84 year old mother, losing my memory every day.  You always want to lay down the ice box on the side that will not allow oil to gravity feed into and clog freon lines. So lay er down on the side without lines and no oil can go into places unwelcome.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Online Washaman

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 09:59:44 PM »
Had to get up to let the dog in. Here is the Model # GLHS35EHB1
How do you know what side to lay it on if you can't see the lines? I layed mine on the side the compressor was located on. Was this the wrong side? I just plugged it in about 15 minutes ago and everything kicked right on and is cooling down quickly. I'm going to check it again in about an hour or so. O0

Offline Brent@CanBC

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 02:43:12 AM »
Ok, so you got it up and working, so there is nothing more to say hey.   Good 4U.   If you go to the rear of the fridge,  and remove the cover at the bottom that seals the air movement.  After that you will see the location of the compressor (pot) and that is located on the left,  and on the right side is the condenser coil and fan system.   So if you lay the fridge on the side that the condenser coil and fan are,  then you are laying it down on the discharge side, and that is the correct side.   As you know when you unplug the fridge,  both the high and low sides will equalize in the sealed system so nothing will move through the system ok.  BUT, in the bottom of the POT (compressor) that is where MOST of the oil is located.   U want 2 lay the fridge on the discharge side, not the LARGER suction line, as if you do, then when you plug it in,  and hear that sound like something has snapped, U want to hope its not a suction valve, cause if it is,  then the POT (compressor) is NFG now.     When your pot starts up,  U want to have VAPOUR enter the suction port, not liquid, period.   So now U know how to move a fridge in your mini van.  I USED to pick up unwanted stuff and refurbish them,  and loved to play and make them all work just fine.   As U know,  age and sight, hearing, attention span,  all seems to come to a end sooner or later.  In my case,  I have been there,  and done that, many times over,  and if I was able to,  and much younger,  I would love to work in a shop,  not out in the field, but work in a shop,  and refurbish them, so the front end could sell them.  My days are numbered,   but the want to carry on is strong, but my days are numbered.  From the hips down, things are not so good.  From the hips up,  I am only 20 years old, and ready to go, for 67 more years.  I have been lucky all these years to do what I love to do.   Good 2 hear U got your big SXS fridge working,  enjoy.  Brent@CanBC

Online Washaman

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 10:15:19 PM »
 O0  Good to know! It only took about an hour to reach 0 in the freezer and 35 in the fridge. Now to decide if I'm going to keep it as a second fridge in my shop area or sell it. I really like this fridge and water and ice would be a nice upgrade, so would the energy savings, but the extra cash would be nice too. Here is a link for some pics I took: http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb226/clint28nky/FrigidaireGallerySxSblack101611/

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 12:05:05 AM »
Keep it.  O0

Offline Brent@CanBC

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 12:13:11 AM »
You have got a very good looking Fridge there for sure.   And your temps clearly indicate its a keeper for you,  or it will obviously make you think in selling and making the money off it.  This fridge new is a 1800 dollar fridge in Canada, or higher.  If its 5-8 years old and in your pic's,  this fridge would sell at the new and used place here for 400-600 dollars.  I have a 5 year old Frigidaire with all the whistles as yours does, and I don't do sealed systems for the public now for 10 years, but still have enough refrigeration equipment to do one up for my self, if that is my direction with this and another like new fridge.  Most of the stuff that comes through my doors has a price tag on it,  and anyone that pays the price, it will be sold.   I get stuff like this dropped off all the time.  Brent@CanBC

Online Washaman

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 12:21:09 AM »
Thanks! I looked up retail last night and its around $1100. Used prices go from $300-$400. It was manufactured in 2007, I think March. I think I will keep it, at least for now. ;D

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 11:35:14 AM »
I had this exact one in my back yard 2 weeks ago. A friend of Larry's replaced the damper in it and said it worked fine for 3 days then quit. I plugged it in and kept my beer in it over the weekend and it had 0 in the freezer and right on the money on the thermometer in the fresh side. I told him to get his buddy to check the power receptacle. Might have been a GFCI. The thang worked fine on my extention cord
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

GE side by side fridges main board clicking on and off

Started by yuribug

Replies: 1
Views: 2382
Last post January 20, 2010, 07:55:53 AM
by Mr. Fix-It
ge side by side fridges frozen water line inside freezer door

Started by JPG

Replies: 3
Views: 2230
Last post April 30, 2012, 04:39:54 PM