Author Topic: KFCS22EVMS4 scratch on stainless steel  (Read 2055 times)

Offline jimbo6679

• VIP Member
KFCS22EVMS4 scratch on stainless steel
« on: September 18, 2011, 05:18:45 PM »
Accidentally got a scratch about 12" long, vertically on the door.   If there is a grain, it is discreet but I would say horizontal.
Scratch is not deep but looks bad.   Is this repairable....or is it new door time? ???

Model KFCS22EVMS4

Offline jimbo6679

• VIP Member
Re: KFCS22EVMS4 scratch on stainless steel
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 06:53:08 PM »
And since I suspect that the solution to this may end up being a new door,  to avoid a family squabble,  can anyone tell me the part number for that.   I found a parts list for model# same exvept ending in the number 2, not 4.   Would the door be the same?  Will kitchenaid tell me the number for the door?

Thank you all very much.             You all helped me tremendously with my whirlpool washing machine temperature control over a year ago, and more recently with the ice dispenser on my daughter's refrig.   Now, it is the refrig for my other daughter!

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 07:06:52 PM »
Hi,

What door?

Model KFCS22EVMS4 uses refrigerator door panel part # 13094723SQ and 13094724SQ along with freezer door panel part # 13094911SQ

Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline krazytech

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 07:40:25 PM »
http://www.scratch-b-gone.com/

if there is no [font='trebuchet ms']Clearcoat[/font]
Check the Basics first!!! Read the Manual !!!Buy the tech a Beer!!!

Offline jimbo6679

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 11:38:04 PM »
Thank you very much!  It is the left refrig. door, and the part # for the model ending in ,...2 is 13094719SQ,   not the same!!

Yes, how do you telll if there is a clearcoat?  This door does not seem to have as much 'grain' as a "brushed stainless" like a sink, and has a "smooth"feel,,

Offline jimbo6679

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 09:15:21 AM »
I notice on the parts site the usual disclaimer that "may differ in appearance....".     I understand the aftermarket parts situation, but can I assume that the FINISH on the new door will match??

Thanks very much for all your interest in my dilemma

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 09:36:50 AM »
I notice on the parts site the usual disclaimer that "may differ in appearance....".     I understand the aftermarket parts situation, but can I assume that the FINISH on the new door will match??

Thanks very much for all your interest in my dilemma

I have only replace a few stainless refrigerator door, but matching has never been a problem.
If you order from the appliancepartspros link i posted above they have a great return policy of 365 days.

Yes, how do you telll if there is a clearcoat? 

I don't know how to describe how you could tell, maybe someone else could put it into words.

http://www.scratch-b-gone.com/ looks like a interesting product and if your going to replace the door anyway it sure can't hurt to try it first.

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 12:13:54 PM »
KFCS22EVMS4 LH Door 13094723S
The manufacturer has replaced part number 13094723S
with this item, part number 13094723SQ
I don't know what they changed ... maybe (?) some hinge hardware ...

sure can't hurt to try it first
worse case... may need to "rub" entire original LH Door
If it looks good may need to "rub" the other 2 Doors to match
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 12:17:58 PM by RegUS_PatOff »
After leaving this Earth, "Do you want the smoking or non-smoking section?"

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 08:36:05 PM »
how do you telll if there is a clearcoat?

I've never used scratch-b-gone but I checked out some of the videos.  There's a small pad in the kit that you rub on the metal. If it turns black with oxidation, it's not clear-coated.  You probably don't want to spend $50 for a kit just to find out you have a clear-coat.  You can do the same test with some metal polish and a paper towel. 

Offline jimbo6679

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 06:04:06 PM »
I sincerely appreciate all the help.     After considering all the options, I have ordered the new door.   Since I have returned home and will not be there to install it, and not wanting to burden her hubby...what is the best course of action?  If I call Kitchenaid can they give me the name of a factory repair person who would be willing to do it?   Is yellow pages just as good for that?
Thanks,

Offline keiths

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 02:26:20 PM »
Hello,

I found this thread and have the same problem. My wife just "accidentally" used a scrubby sponge on the right fridge door of our new Kitchenaid KFCS22EVMS4 and put a big scratched area on it.  She's about  to have a heart attack but I told her to calm down, worst case we'll get a new door.  (OUCH $$$) But I see that on the Appliance parts pros site the KFCS22EVMS00 thru KFCS22EVMS3 are listed but no EVMS4. In this thread there is a link to the door for EMVS4 but it actually goes to the diagram for EVMS3.  Is this correct?  Or is there a different door for EVMS4?  I notice the doors do seem to be different (and less costly) for EVMS00-EVMS2.  Will any of those ones work too?

Also, how easy is it to replace the door?  I'm assuming I'll have to remove a bunch of stuff from the old door and install on the new door.  Any gotchas to watch out for?

Thanks in advance.

Keith

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 02:49:22 PM »
When I looked up model KFCS22EVMS4 through my local parts dealer it shows the right door panel as part number 13094724SQ

Is this correct?  Or is there a different door for EVMS4?  I notice the doors do seem to be different (and less costly) for EVMS00-EVMS2.  Will any of those ones work too?

If you go by the part number I posted above you should get the correct door. I would not chance that a different priced door from a different model number is going to work for you.

Also, how easy is it to replace the door?  I'm assuming I'll have to remove a bunch of stuff from the old door and install on the new door.

Looks like you will have to swap the door gasket and door handle. Just be careful when swapping the door handle so as not to slip with it or with the screwdriver so you don't scratch the new door too. I have seen it happen once or twice. ;)

Offline keiths

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 04:03:42 PM »
thanks for the quick response!  Good tip about not scratching the door during install.  Wife scratched the first one, but if I scratch the new one there will be hell to pay.

Removing dents in a stainless steel fridge

Started by Ronyeager

Replies: 4
Views: 3372
Last post February 25, 2014, 11:22:48 AM
by JaYz
Side By Side Clean Steel Refrigerator water is not working..

Started by help with dryer

Replies: 5
Views: 3232
Last post March 16, 2010, 07:32:14 AM
by Repair-man