Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 957 times)

Offline Old_Radio_Collector

• VIP Member
Introduction
« on: September 25, 2011, 07:38:16 PM »
I just wanted to introduce myself...I have been working on washers and dryers since I was 8 years old (I'm almost 52 now), but I have never done it as a trade.  I am intimately familiar with the Kemnore / Whirlpool belt drive washers and there isn't much I can't do with them.  As I'm sure many of you know it is a distinctive machine from the back, at a distance, and I have been known to prowl the streets on trash day, looking for junked ones sitting at the curb.

Currently, my laundry room consists of

1959 American Thermatic (Huebesch) dryer, model number unknown.
1972 Kenmore (Whirlpool) 110.72993820 belt drive washer
1981 Kenmore (Whirlpool) 110.81375130 direct drive washer
1987 Kenmore (Whirlpool  110.87694510 gas dryer
1987 Kenmore (Whirlpool) 110.87093800 gas dryer

The '72 Kenmore had a crazy electronic timer system which quit functioning and I was unable to get parts for it, so I added a PLC (Progammable Logic Controller) and a touch screen.  Yes, I know I could have very easily changed the console and wiring, but I needed a little practice with PLC and HMI (Human-Machine Interface) programming.

The mind is like a parachute: Just because you lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 07:45:03 PM »
Good old wigwag model. Very nice washer indeed. The motor goes in one direction only. When modes go from the wash to spin the motor never stops. The solenoids on the wigwag which is mounted on the tranny get energised. The wigwag constantly moves back and forth while the motor is running. The solenoids are connected to shift-rods with floating shift pins. When power is applied to the wig wag coil the shift pin is yanked upwards and gets caught in the shift lever. The lever then moves the transmission gears from a wash mode to a spin. The pump flap is also opened and the water gets discharged.  The pump comes in at least 4 differing configurations for water circulation depending on your model.The main thing that goes wrong is those shift pins get rust on them. Simply sanding them down so they will float freely in the solenoid cures the problem.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 07:58:24 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Online theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 08:40:39 PM »
I used to hate working on them, moving them out full of water and such. Now I miss them. Realize how many more you could repair and make them last for 20 years.

Online AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 09:15:47 PM »
Is that digital display on the washer in your photo something you added?
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 09:42:45 PM »
Looks like you collect radios and washers. :)

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 07:45:20 AM »
Is that digital display on the washer in your photo something you added?

It is actually a touch screen, and it works in conjunction with a PLC (Programmable Logic Controller).  It's actually a pretty slick setup and I have added cycles that the machine never had before.  I need to replace the suspension balls and the belt is broken...

The machine simply quit running and I was unable to get a master control relay pack for it (the start/stop relay, motor high and motor low relay are one unit).  In the way I have it set up now, the PLC provides 24vdc to the motor relays, and it directly controls the water valves and wig-wag coils (120vac).  The water level switch, lid switch and kickout switch (off balance buzzer) are 24vdc.

This is the PLC I usedClick PLC and this is the HMI C-More Micro Touch  I usually work with industrial control systems and I had got theses items for experimentation on a printing press...different programming on both and it works well with a washer.  I'm not going to say this is an ideal solution, but it DID allow me to put a junkyard-bound machine back in service...
The mind is like a parachute: Just because you lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine.

Offline tgoods

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 11:32:11 AM »
That's pretty cool.  But looking at the prices, $79 for  the board and $189 for the interface, it seems like a lot for a washer with one foot in the grave.  Do you think you could accomplish the same thing with a $30 Arduino and $50 touch screen? Or you could ditch the fancy screen and just use cycle pushbuttons. Of course you'd have to learn how to program the Arduino unless someone has done the same thing and published the code.  Then you could just copy and paste it.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 05:02:26 PM »
What would be cool is if you could make it remote controlled by by your PC. LOL
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 03:05:27 PM »
What would be cool is if you could make it remote controlled by by your PC. LOL

Actually that could be done...but more effort than I plan on putting into it.

Offline krazytech

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 08:55:06 PM »
Welcome OLD_RADIO_Collector

Great post and very cool ideas... please post on how you did the a touch screen and Programmable Logic Controller... way Cool,,,
Check the Basics first!!! Read the Manual !!!Buy the tech a Beer!!!

Introduction

Started by new tech

Replies: 13
Views: 1110
Last post December 12, 2011, 07:38:55 PM
by john63