Author Topic: Over-engineered  (Read 1007 times)

Offline barrerboy

• VIP Member
Over-engineered
« on: October 07, 2011, 09:46:51 AM »
>:( Remember when washing machines just had a simple sequential timer? The timer lasted at least five years, I remember, and it was cheap and easy to replace. A washing machine doesn't need a computer.  We just want to wash, we don't want to compute. Delicate fabrics are better washed by hand anyway. All the machine needs is simplicity and reliability.

Our story: Sears Kenmore (Frigidaire) washer, new, about $450 (part of a washer/dryer set) with one year warranty.
At 13 months a leak, $90 repair. At 18 months a burnt-out computer chip, $400 repair.
Response to my complaint from Sears Cares: you're in Canada, tough. Response from Sears Canada: zilch. So this is appliance junk if ever there was.

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
Re: Over-engineered
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 09:51:46 AM »
model number ?
After leaving this Earth, "Do you want the smoking or non-smoking section?"

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 01:02:34 PM »
About a week ago I worked on what might just be the simplest and most reliable washer ever. The lid switch was broken. I took a few photos of the machine. It is a Galaxy Direct drive which features one water level and one wash temp. All you have to do is set it to wash a load between 10 to 14 minutes. The toughness and durability along with the ease of repairs and cheapest parts make this washer probably the best ever. Take a look: The simplest washer ever.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Washaman

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 10:48:39 PM »
JW I had onr with a bad lid switch last week too. Had the Kenmore name on it though. It was a 24" model. The coupler was ready to snap to so I replaced it also.

Offline Washaman

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 10:53:31 PM »
Mine also had a few extra option for temp and water level, so I guess it aint as simple  ::)

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 12:09:30 AM »
No dogs to worry about either. Sweet!
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline barrerboy

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 01:15:08 PM »
model number ?

The model number is 970-C48112-20