Author Topic: My first Maytag - used but a goodie. (with a few minor problems)  (Read 2504 times)

Offline Old_Radio_Collector

• VIP Member
Re: My first Maytag - used but a goodie. (with a few minor problems)
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 08:42:15 AM »
Well if you like rigging things drive a 6 inch drywall screw in it to lock the two together.  :rofl: Maybe a 2 inch will do the job.

I took it apart...it is a different arrangement from the Kenmore and a 1/2" screw locks them together just fine.  But it is also obvious that it was not designed to be repaired.  Perhaps that is why they made the agitator so easy to remove.  It does not do its job if it is locked either.  Oh well, Repair Clinic is open today and I need to go to the shop to get my trailer anyway...so I'll buy an agitator this afternoon.
The mind is like a parachute: Just because you lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine.

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 12:22:41 PM »
That is the last of the good Maytags built. I wish they still made them, but since they rarely broke down Whirlpool couldn't make as much money selling new. So BYE BYE.

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 04:14:29 PM »
That is the last of the good Maytags built. I wish they still made them, but since they rarely broke down Whirlpool couldn't make as much money selling new. So BYE BYE.

That is what I figured  :(  I remember a local Maytag dealer had a cutaway model of the Maytag transmission; if I remember correctly there were only a couple of gears in it and not much else.  Over the years I've come to realize that the simpler something is, the lower its parts count, the less likely you are to have trouble with it.  I have rebuilt Kenmore/Whirlpool belt drive transmissions, there are a lot of little pieces in there but hey, there's a lot going on...then I saw the Maytag transmission and was amazed by its simplicity.  Or to put it another way, spending almost $75 for that agitator wasn't such a bad deal - for just under $125 and a little of my time) I have a washer that I am certain will serve me well for a long time.

BTW, does anyone know if the current Maytags are really just the direct drive Whirlpools that we've had for the last 30 years or so?
The mind is like a parachute: Just because you lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine.

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 04:18:10 PM »
The new agitator...I got it yesterday fro Repair Clinic (brick-and-mortar store open 7 days a week!)  I noticed it had a FSP label on it...FSP, that's Whirlpool...oh, that's right, Maytag is Whirlpool now...but the new agitator does work nice...

Offline Washaman

• Technician
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 04:22:23 PM »
Yes, the new Maytags are Whirlpool direct drive, but after all these years Whirlpool has changed the design. And yes, Whirlpool makes all the old parts too.

Maytag Neptune Lr code and now door lock problems

Started by anniechoco

Replies: 2
Views: 9318
Last post December 07, 2008, 09:01:38 AM
by anniechoco
maytag atlantis washing machine problems

Started by kkmarrs

Replies: 9
Views: 6034
Last post December 01, 2009, 05:37:34 AM
by apprich