Author Topic: LG Refrigerator LMX, ice cubes too big  (Read 3020 times)

Offline erkme73

• VIP Member
LG Refrigerator LMX, ice cubes too big
« on: October 01, 2011, 07:38:48 PM »
I have had nothing but buyer's remorse since buying this fridge in 2009 at THD.  It's pretty, but just about everything you can think of from a functional/practical standpoint is an overwhelming frustration.  If it weren't that the wife likes how it looks so much, I'd have returned it on the second day.  But, I digress.

My biggest pet peeve, is that to fill a small cup with ice takes long enough that you almost need to pull up a chair while you wait.  I had a service guy out once for an unrelated issue, and he commented that all the in-door ice makers have this issue.  He said it was because the 'drop distance' from the maker to the tray is so short, the ice cubes don't break apart and get stuck in the chute. 

There are three ice cube sizes (S, M, L) - but even the smallest setting still ends up producing a string of 6 or so cubes in one strip that don't break apart.

Today, on a whim, I closed the water fill valve (on the wall hookup behind the fridge) by about 90%.  While the water fill rate through the door is now all but useless, the ice cubes are about 1/2 their normal size, and come out of the tray as individual cubes.  It's like heaven.

There are no (obvious) adjustment screws or knobs on the maker - so I imagine that dropping the fill rate or amount though some built-in mechanism is likely not possible.  I did find the two-valve solenoid in the freezer door, so I could install a restrictor valve at the output of just the ice maker supply line.  But before I do that, I figured I'd ask here if anyone knows of a more practical way to reduce the amount of water added to the ice tray.

First post, go easy :)

Offline MajorApp

• Technician
Re: LG Refrigerator LMX, ice cubes too big
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 10:25:22 PM »
Does your pretty refrigerator have a complete model number?

Offline erkme73

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 11:35:53 PM »
Sure... I wasn't at home when I first posted... it's LMX25981ST

Offline MajorApp

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 12:20:07 PM »
  AJ should be along soon to post the service manual for your frig and icemaker but I think your going to be just another unsatisfied LG customer. It should be a crime that companies like LG and Samsung do their research and development testing at the consumers expense and frustration.

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 02:19:46 PM »
It sounds like the icemaker has a problem.  It is supposed to time the water into the ice tray.  The lower led setting is 5 sec, middle led setting is 5.5 sec and the uppr led is 6 seconds.  The water pressure should be somewhere around 40 to 80 psi. 

Look for the icemaker fill tube.  Press the test button on the icemaker and watch the ice get extracted out and the water fill up the ice tray.  When the water turns off, look for signs of water still dripping into the ice tray.  If that happens, you may have a leaking water valve or an air leak in the tubing.  Water should stop flowing once the valve shuts off.

Also time the water fill.  On the lower led setting, time the water flow.  It should last 5 seconds.  If it doesn't, then you have to replace the icemaker.  There are no adjustments that can be made on the circuit board of the icemaker.

Ice Maker #AEQ36756901

Water Valve Assm  5221JA2011J

Hope this helps.
Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Offline erkme73

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 02:23:08 PM »
Thanks WI,

Sorry - but where is the 'test' button located? 

I'll be happy to test the timing, and whether the water stops immediately.

Is there any way to change the 5-6 second time interval?  I'd love to drop it to 4 seconds...

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 04:16:13 PM »
It is the button that adjusts the ice cube size.  Press and hold it for about 10 seconds till the icemaker starts into the extraction mode.  Can't adjust the time.  It's not possible.

Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Offline erkme73

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 04:48:16 PM »
I feel like I need a drum roll...

I started the test cycle, and it extracted the current cubes.  With stopwatch in hand, I timed the filling cycle start to finish... 5.5 seconds.  When it stopped, the water coming down the fill spout stopped immediately.  No additional drops.

I don't know what my water pressure is in the house, but so far, the only thing I've been able to do to get the cubes to the 'correct' size is restricting flow.  Given that there is no mechanical or electrical way to reduce the fill cycle time, I feel more confident adding an inline mechanical valve between the ice maker supply solenoid and the ice maker.  There's a nice little compartment in the bottom of the door that will provide ample room.  I just didn't want to go to that extreme without verifying first.

Thanks for your help!

Offline erkme73

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 10:51:09 AM »
Just a follow up to my original post/comment.  I purchased a $5.00 miniature valve - like the kind that come with an ice maker kit, and installed it on the output side of ice maker solenoid (located underneath the bottom shelf on the door containing the ice maker).

I then adjusted the valve so that the amount of water that filled into the tray during each cycle was JUST ENOUGH to distribute water into each ice recess.   It took a few tries, but now, assuming my home water pressure doesn't fluctuate too much, I get perfect ice cubes.   Each cube is already separated as it comes out of the tray - so no more long sticks of 6 cubes that won't fit down the chute.

Given that the 'fill time' is now electronically limited, and the range is predefined, where the shortest time is still too long, I saw no other alternative.

Hopefully this will give other the confirmation that it can be done, and the encouragement to do it.

FWIW, I can now fill a large glass with ice in < 3 seconds - it just POURS in the cubes!!

Samsung refrigerator that dispenses water instead of ice cubes

Started by tagarman

Replies: 18
Views: 4436
Last post August 22, 2014, 03:29:14 PM
by robear
Repair Guide: Whirlpool Refrigerator - Water in bottom of fridge under drawers.

Started by AJ

Replies: 3
Views: 82754
Last post July 08, 2007, 12:04:06 PM
by curtis
GE refrigerator/freezer

Started by MajorApp

Replies: 7
Views: 3823
Last post May 21, 2008, 05:44:45 AM
by Repair-man
kenmore refrigerator model # 52552100 no ice

Started by davelita

Replies: 6
Views: 10494
Last post August 04, 2007, 03:24:08 PM
by AJ
Kitchen Aid Refrigerator KSRS27QBL01

Started by texan2

Replies: 5
Views: 3176
Last post August 11, 2007, 06:30:49 AM
by AJ
Video: How to clear a Whirlpool made Refrigerator Defrost Drain Tube.

Started by AJ

Replies: 2
Views: 17782
Last post August 11, 2007, 09:38:43 AM
by AJ