Author Topic: older White-Westinghouse upright frost-free freezer  (Read 5172 times)

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Re: older White-Westinghouse upright frost-free freezer
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2011, 08:42:48 AM »
Thanks AJ!
..is it possible that all these parts are working correctly and it just needs charged with more refrigerant?

Yes it's possible.

If the defrost system was not working the coils on the back wall inside the freezer that you took a photo of would get covered in a heavy frost and the frost would building up so thick that it would block the air flow from the fan.

Normally the coils should have a light even coating of frost on them and before the frost gets a chance to build up to thick the defrost timer would kick in the defrost heater and melt the frost off. Then the timer would cycle off the defrost heater and cycle the compressor back on so it could start cooling again. A lot of units with a mechanical timer defrost every 8-10 hours.

If you don't have a even frost pattern on the coils that is a sign of it being low on refrigerant, week compressor or a restriction in the sealed system lines.
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline jeremytl

• VIP Member
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2011, 09:00:05 AM »
If you don't have a even frost pattern on the coils that is a sign of it being low on refrigerant, week compressor or a restriction in the sealed system lines.

OK - I guess I should plug it back in and then check the frost pattern on the evap coils.

Am I asking too much for a frost-free unit like this to keep an internal temp of zero degrees?

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2011, 09:15:56 AM »
OK - I guess I should plug it back in and then check the frost pattern on the evap coils.

Plug it in and let it run for a day or over night. Then post a photo of the evap coils.

Am I asking too much for a frost-free unit like this to keep an internal temp of zero degrees?

I think 0-5 Deg. F. it normal temp range for a freezer.

I never cared for self defrost freezers for long time storage of food.
If you are in and out of the freezer a lot like your refrigerator then a self defrost freezer maybe ok.

The frost that builds up on the coils comes from the moister that is in the air.

If you end up getting a replacement freezer I would stick with a non self defrost one for long term storage.
A chest freezer should have no problem storing food at 0 Deg. F or even a bit colder.

Offline jeremytl

• VIP Member
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2011, 09:07:50 AM »
Well I finally got a chance to spend some time with the freezer. After plugging it in for a few hours, this is what I observed:

The fan works. It runs all the time EXCEPT during the defrost cycle. It runs even when the door is open.

The defrost heater works. Went out to check on the freezer last night and didn't hear anything running, no compressor, no fan. I thought it was finally completely dead. I opened the door and it happened to be during a defrost cycle. The heater was hot and water was dripping off the evap coils.

The interior light works and shuts off when the door closes, as it should. The door gasket appears to be in good shape.

So, the timer, the heater, the fan...all work. I'm not sure what that leaves me? The thermostat or the compressor needs charged with new refrigerant?

There wasn't much frost on the evap coils but I took pics anyways. Here:

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2011, 09:37:39 AM »
The thermostat or the compressor needs charged with new refrigerant?
Replacing the thermostat is not going to do you any good.

Does not look like a even frost pattern to me.
From the photo it looks like there is frost at the top of the coils and no frost at the bottom of the coils.

Either the compressor is getting week or it's low on refrigerant. To know what's really going on with it at this point you would need to tap the system and put a set of gauges on it so you could see what you have for high and low side pressures. This is often not a practical repair for the average DIY'er.

At best even if it was just low on refrigerant and you some how managed to add some you still have a leak in the system someplace.
Chances are a very small leak. It may take forever for the new refrigerant you added to leak out, but the leak is not going to repair it self so it is going to leak out again sooner or later.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2011, 09:54:04 AM »
Looks like it is a tad low might need an ounce or 2 at the most.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2011, 09:57:33 AM »
by the way it's not as old as I first thought, it just LOOKS old. It was made in 1991

The model/serial number tag will also tell you what type of refrigerant it needs.
If it's as old as you think I would guess the tag is going to say it uses R-12 Refrigerant.

R-12 refrigerant was phase out years ago and it no longer available.

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2011, 10:00:16 AM »
20 year old freezer with a leak, time to buy a new one.

Offline jeremytl

• VIP Member
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2011, 01:24:13 PM »
Okay- I'll be looking to get another freezer. Thanks for the advice, I learned a lot here.

Cheers-

Offline jeremytl

• VIP Member
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2011, 09:28:17 AM »
Just bought a brand new Frigidaire upright manual defrost 14.1 cubit foot freezer from Lowes.

Should I purchase the extended warranty for this freezer? The reviews on the Lowes website for this item are not so good to say the least.

Thanks in advance.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2011, 10:27:16 AM »
Buying an extended warranty would be a waste of money. My opinion.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Westinghouse Frost Free 631 Fridge won't cool!

Started by LJ_Chaz

Replies: 10
Views: 3467
Last post May 31, 2009, 09:24:40 AM
by Icehouse
Upright Westinghouse freezer (WFU14K2BW1): junk or repair?

Started by rheos

Replies: 2
Views: 489
Last post July 14, 2013, 10:05:26 PM
by shieldcracker
Older Wards/Admiral refridge./freezer.

Started by MajorApp

Replies: 10
Views: 5291
Last post April 22, 2008, 10:54:06 AM
by JWWebster
GE side by side refridge/frost free