Author Topic: GE Profile Prodigy Motor being Overworked  (Read 1835 times)

Offline Bobby D

• VIP Member
GE Profile Prodigy Motor being Overworked
« on: September 12, 2011, 07:38:22 PM »
My GE Profile WPSE4200A0WW has been louder and louder each time it runs during the spin or maybe wash cycle.  The motor began to over heat and smell.  It seems like something is causing the motor to struggle, or over work.  The motor seems good and not binding, the clutch seems to work well the belt is not slipping and looks brand new.  The transmission has no leaks.  I tried oiling whatever I could get to and that helped, but has not solved the problem.  Also the washer seems to move a little bit because it is working so hard to agitate the clothes.  What needs to be fixed?  Thanks for any help.

Offline Bobby D

• VIP Member
Re: GE Profile Prodigy Motor being Overworked
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 04:02:09 PM »
Bump, Any suggestions?  Anything? Thanks.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 05:18:36 PM »
You could have an item of clothing between tubs. I once found a bra wrapped around the shaft under the inner basket on an older model. The guy installed another clutch and it did not fix the problem. He donated the machine to me and I did an autopsy. Found the item and called him. By that time he had already gotten another machine and told me to keep it.

Service manual
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 05:31:37 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 05:43:07 PM »
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Bobby D

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 06:01:12 PM »
Thanks for getting back to me JW.  I liked the video it is very helpful.  Is there anything that would need to be oiled, like a bearing?  Also is there a way to know if the transmission is jamming up?  Thanks again for the help.  Bob

Offline boyd2free

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 06:27:49 PM »
Did you try looking between the inner and outer tub,check that first ,you can use a flash light also,shine it on the plastic tub,once you have removed the front panel,and you may be able to see an object between the tub.

Offline Bobby D

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 07:26:46 PM »
I used a flash light and looked between the inner and outer tub, I could see everything except the back and it does not seem like there is anything stuck.  I noticed that when I spin the inner tub by hand that once every revolution there is a stiff spot that I can feel.  I liked the video, but once I take apart the machine what should I be looking for?  Thanks again for the help guys.  Bob

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 08:37:54 PM »
I have one out back right now. Larry is gonna locate another tranny and we gonna do a swapout. Gonna take some pics.
The ball bearings in the tranny clutch mechanism get dry and hang in the high side of the channel instead of dropping in the deep end and releasing the tub.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Bobby D

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 05:34:25 AM »
Sounds good.  When you make the video post a link here for me.  Thanks Bob

Offline Bobby D

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 06:04:21 PM »
JW,
Your video has given me the confidence to take this thing apart.  The noise is coming from where the tranny engages the tub (the bottom center of the tub).  It only seems to happen when the machine is agitating (or going back and forth)  There is no noise during the spin cycle.  Where would the bearing be located and what else should I try to service.  I noticed the tranny has bolts to come apart, should it be oiled?  Thanks Bob

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 07:35:42 PM »
The tranny is a glorified lawn mower quill with a spring loaded clutch of ball bearings that ride in their own channels. Each channel has a shallow end and a deep end. When lubrication drys up the balls hang up. The motor turns in one direction and the balls all get slung up into the shallow end of the pool. The motor goes the opposite direction and all the balls go back into their deep end. So what goes wrong? Lubrication drys out and them balls don't act right.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Bobby D

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2011, 11:23:43 AM »
I am going to try to lubricate it.  Do I have to open up the tranny, or are you talking about the bearing/ clutch?  Just so I know what I am looking for would these parts be located or attached to the top end of the tranny shaft?  Thanks again for the help.  Bob

Offline Bobby D

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2011, 04:25:50 PM »

JW,Well, I couldn't wait, so I ripped it apart.  I found that the metal disc under the outer wash tub was loose.  There was also a ton of dirt/detergent under the main tub nut.  I powerwashed everything that was dirty and lubed everything that seemed to need it.  The bottom bearing where the brake was looked very good and turned smooth, but I lubed that about a month ago when the motor was overheating.  I did not open the transmission up, but I thought about it since I had everything else apart.  For future reference, what are the symptoms of a washer that the tranny lube dried up?  Also if I have to lube the tranny what oil do you use and do you use RTV sealant to seal the halves of the tranny.  Thanks again for your help.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2011, 04:40:28 PM »
Well when the washer goes to spin it won't because the ball bearings are jammed into the shallow end of their grooves. With proper lube they should drop off into the deep end and release the tub.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

GE Profile Washer -- Motor not turning-- No Spin

Started by Bobby D

Replies: 9
Views: 13847
Last post December 07, 2009, 09:08:09 AM
by JWWebster
GE Profile Prodigy won't agitate

Started by TWG377

Replies: 2
Views: 1447
Last post July 04, 2010, 06:52:24 PM
by JWWebster
looking for service manual wsse4220a0ww profile prodigy washer

Started by ckett75

Replies: 1
Views: 731
Last post October 27, 2012, 09:28:12 PM
by AJ
GE Profile motor

Started by Posum

Replies: 3
Views: 136
Last post July 20, 2014, 08:49:33 PM
by fairbank56
Video: Whirlpool Washer Motor - Bad connection..

Started by AJ

Replies: 3
Views: 2138
Last post July 29, 2013, 06:32:05 PM
by AJ
Video: Whirlpool Made Direct Drive Washer Motor Coupler Replacement

Started by AJ

Replies: 18
Views: 39333
Last post May 18, 2010, 06:53:50 AM
by gimpyjones