365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!  ·  AppliancePartsPros.com
Washer Parts  ·  Dryer Parts  ·  Refrigerator Parts  ·  Dishwasher Parts  ·  Range & Oven Parts  ·  All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: booby trapped appliances  (Read 85 times)

Offline BrntToast

• VIP Member
  • Mayday Appliance Service
    • frigidaire service blog
booby trapped appliances
« on: April 01, 2008, 01:00:46 AM »
have you ever purposely sabotaged an appliance to mess with a co-worker?
back in college when other students turned their backs i would unplug an element wire and plug in a wire from the fuse block to it.. turn on switch,switch go BOOM

my favorite was a fridge in the shop, me and another tech decided to trick a cocky newbie, we disconnected the evaporator and joined the cap tube right to the suction line, bypassing the evaporator, then charged the fridge to run at 0 psi

he spent over a day before he figured out why it wouldn't cool  :2funny:

what made me think of this question was a stove i spent over an hour on today, 10 year old GE sold by our shop... customer complained he could not cook on the surface units properly, shop guy had already checked it and said it was ok, i was sent for a second look
i noticed no minimum heat and medium heats were all about the same, no noticable difference in cycle times or heat from 3 to nine on the switch, but.... you cant have 4 bad switches, then it dawned on me...
someone had taken the green switches for the 8" elements and put them on the 6" and vice versa, all elements matched the switches on the control panel, someone had removed and swapped all 4 of them!!!
Mayday Appliance Service
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada

The only stupid question is the one not asked

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
Re: booby trapped appliances
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 08:51:30 AM »
When I was working as an electronic technician at an auto emmision control circuit board manufacturer, sometimes we would wire a
(photo) flash-bulb (remember those ?) to the test console power switch.  :o   
The small ones taken from inside the FlashCubes worked best.

Other times, while the test console repair guy was gone, we would connect a long, small clear tubing to the test console, and blow a puff of cigarette smoke through it while he was working on it.  :tickedoff:
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 09:13:00 AM by RegUS_PatOff »
After leaving this Earth, "Do you want the smoking or non-smoking section?"

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: booby trapped appliances
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 04:12:27 PM »
My friend and I were standing beside Mr fred and he was showing us the proper way to check a modular ice maker. He turned on the powerstrip to his work bench and my friend had hold of 2 wires(one in each hand) He began shaking violenty like 440 volts were going through him. The instructor was yanking out every wire he had hooked up to everything, thinking the boy was getting electrocuted. He kept it up for about 15 seconds and then He had a big old grin on his face. Ha Ha FOOLED ya! Man you want to talk about an instructor getting mad. He really had him going. Smoke was coming out of his ears.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 04:15:51 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

newfangled electronic appliances

Started by RegUS_PatOff

Replies: 4
Views: 62
Last post March 23, 2008, 12:24:35 PM
by RegUS_PatOff
SubZero appliances

Started by JWWebster

Replies: 5
Views: 105
Last post February 11, 2011, 11:08:42 AM
by ryan111
Your thoughts on GE appliances and GE warranty work?

Started by AJ

Replies: 7
Views: 151
Last post June 03, 2011, 11:34:27 AM
by PARTech
Selling Used Appliances

Started by blondejon

Replies: 38
Views: 371
Last post June 27, 2011, 11:52:02 AM
by AJ
daewoo appliances?