Author Topic: Frigidaire/Electrolux Gallery Microwave not heating anything  (Read 5274 times)

Offline davecee

• VIP Member
Frigidaire/Electrolux Gallery Microwave not heating anything
« on: September 13, 2011, 12:29:17 PM »
We have a Frigidaire Gallery Microwave GLMV168CQ1 and last night we made popcorn and this morning it is not heating anything.  All the displays are lit and if you push cook time, or the Beverage button it runs, the turntable revolves but nothing is heating up.  Occaisionally we do get a sensor error.  I did unplug it and reset the clock etc. but it is still not heating.  Please know I am not a repairman, but since I am unemployed right now I will try.  Thanks to this website I was able to get my gas dryer working!!

Thank you!

Offline whirlpooltech

• Technician
  • 20 years of experience
Re: Frigidaire/Electrolux Gallery Microwave not heating anything
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 07:26:41 AM »
About how old is it? You have to be careful when poking around inside a microwave because even with the microwave unplugged there is a capacitor on the high voltage side that can still hold a charge.

Does it make any funny noises when it should be heating?

Offline davecee

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 09:55:18 AM »
Thanks for the reply!  Purchased in October 2004, does not make any unusual noises...just won't heat.  I do know there is a 10 year warranty on the "magnetron", but I do not know enough to poke around the unit.

Thanks!!

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 12:43:47 PM »
Check the mag for continuity between the 2 terminals. If open or shorted to frame then their would be no heat. I suspect it is open because if shorted the fuse would be tripped also. If the mag is fine the cap and diode are the next suspects. The cap provides addition power and the diode agitates the frequency to get the water molecules rubbing against each other. The interlocking switches seem fine from what you describe and you have power to the machine and it just ain't heating. You probably have a blown magnetron.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 12:45:28 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 02:57:14 PM »
Here's your schematic.  Listen for the magnetron.  It will be a slight buzz that starts about half second after you push start. If you can hear the mag and doesn't heat, you know it's bad.  Since the turntable works, you know the door switches and tco's are okay.   Check for a voltage drop at the power relay  while it's running.  It's the blue wire and the white wire with blue stripe at the control board. If you have about 120vac, your control board is bad. If it checks out good, then your into the high voltage components. Be sure to discharge the capacitor before checking the HV components.  I once read a statistic that on average 6 people a year die from working on Microwaves.

Frigidaire Microwave not Heating

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 1
Views: 8453
Last post October 06, 2013, 03:56:43 PM
by June Cleaver
Jenn-Air Microwave Not Heating

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 2978
Last post March 20, 2008, 07:50:14 PM
by TechnicianBrian