Hi again, everyone,
I wanted to post a follow-up on my repair of my White Westinghouse stacked dryer. And, of course, I want to thank you folks sincerely for both the technical advice and the moral support. Both of those meant a huge amount to me.
I'll try to e-mail some photos to AJ for posting in the gallery. I'll do that as soon as I get a minute to reduce the file sizes and sort through them all to see which ones show things to best advantage.
But let me tell you, there's not a squeak coming out of that dryer right now, and I've got a good-sized load of laundry in it at this moment. Plus, one of the great things about tearing that dryer apart and getting to clean up the insides is that it now takes about half as much time to dry clothes as it did before the repair. The dividend of opening that thing up and seeing how much lint packs itself into every nook and cranny is that you get to see why dryers might lose efficiency over time.
I stuck the crevice tool into every place I could reach, and just about loaded my vacuum cleaner with the lint and dust I extracted. The photos I'll send you will show some of the "before" conditions I found. Amazing. It's no wonder it wasn't drying effectively before: the exhaust manifold (or whatever you call the thing below the lint trap) had so much stuff in it it wasn't funny. Just about anywhere the hot air was meant to circulate had old lint just clogging up the works. Even if I only save a few bucks on my electric bill each year, the savings in terms of time make this a valuable project.
Knowing where that little ball bearing for the rear bearing is located will make it easier in the future to every now and then get around the back of the dryer and give it a little lubricant boost. When you see the picture of the stuff that fell out of the old one you'll understand why keeping these things lubed is not a bad idea. Even though I live in a dry climate the laundry closet is a humid area because of the washer, and it was obvious that there was some rust that had formed on that little ball bearing - plus, it was all scored and gouged from running dry all that time. Probably wasn't even rotating any more it was so rough.
So, thanks again to everyone. I hope the photos I send will serve some sort of useful purpose. Maybe I'll even send in an account of my next ordeal: replacing the kitchen faucet. I can't help it...I just love frustration, I guess!
A great day to you all.