Author Topic: Replacing rear bearing on White Westinghouse stackable dryer  (Read 11238 times)

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Replacing rear bearing on White Westinghouse stackable dryer
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2008, 10:43:13 PM »
You can do it dude. You got people! We got yer back!
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline bibico

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2008, 02:34:26 PM »
Hi again, everyone,

I wanted to post a follow-up on my repair of my White Westinghouse stacked dryer. And, of course, I want to thank you folks sincerely for both the technical advice and the moral support. Both of those meant a huge amount to me.

I'll try to e-mail some photos to AJ for posting in the gallery. I'll do that as soon as I get a minute to reduce the file sizes and sort through them all to see which ones show things to best advantage.

But let me tell you, there's not a squeak coming out of that dryer right now, and I've got a good-sized load of laundry in it at this moment. Plus, one of the great things about tearing that dryer apart and getting to clean up the insides is that it now takes about half as much time to dry clothes as it did before the repair. The dividend of opening that thing up and seeing how much lint packs itself into every nook and cranny is that you get to see why dryers might lose efficiency over time.

I stuck the crevice tool into every place I could reach, and just about loaded my vacuum cleaner with the lint and dust I extracted. The photos I'll send you will show some of the "before" conditions I found. Amazing. It's no wonder it wasn't drying effectively before: the exhaust manifold (or whatever you call the thing below the lint trap) had so much stuff in it it wasn't funny. Just about anywhere the hot air was meant to circulate had old lint just clogging up the works. Even if I only save a few bucks on my electric bill each year, the savings in terms of time make this a valuable project.

Knowing where that little ball bearing for the rear bearing is located will make it easier in the future to every now and then get around the back of the dryer and give it a little lubricant boost. When you see the picture of the stuff that fell out of the old one you'll understand why keeping these things lubed is not a bad idea. Even though I live in a dry climate the laundry closet is a humid area because of the washer, and it was obvious that there was some rust  that had formed on that little ball bearing - plus, it was all scored and gouged from running dry all that time. Probably wasn't even rotating any more it was so rough.

So, thanks again to everyone. I hope the photos I send will serve some sort of useful purpose. Maybe I'll even send in an account of my next ordeal: replacing the kitchen faucet. I can't help it...I just love frustration, I guess!

A great day to you all.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2008, 03:39:35 PM »
Glad to hear you got it repair.  O0

Thanks for taking the time to snap some photos and send them to us. They are sure to help many other visitor that will be looking for answers to the same questions you had.

Here are the photo. Click on the thumbnail for a larger image.

1White Westinghouse Dryer MLXE42REW0 Detail of accumulated junk in rear bearing area

2White Westinghouse Dryer MLXE42REW0 Detail of drum with belt showing line marking drum location

3White Westinghouse Dryer MLXE42REW0 Heating element and rear bearing mount

4White Westinghouse Dryer MLXE42REW0 Idler and belt arrangement viewed from rear access opening of dryer

5White Westinghouse Dryer MLXE42REW0 Rear of drum before clean up and replacement of part

6White Westinghouse Dryer MLXE42REW0 Rust and dust in bearing assembly parts

7White Westinghouse Dryer MLXE42REW0 View of idler pulley area from front of dryer

8White Westinghouse Dryer MLXE42REW0 Rear of dryer showing plate that holds ball bearing in place

Job well done.  O0
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 03:47:44 PM by AJ »
Hope you find our website helpful.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2008, 04:52:22 PM »
Did ya take any pics of your front glides?
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2008, 04:54:15 PM »
In that pic the person is holding the good part in there right hand. The bad part is the brownish looking felt on the top of the dryer front. Notice the slides are all missing?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 04:56:15 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Noisy Frigidiare Dryer - Replace Rear Bearing.

Started by AJ

Replies: 3
Views: 6925
Last post March 31, 2008, 08:25:34 PM
by Al Capone
White Westinghouse Dryer Drum Not Turning

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 4441
Last post May 09, 2008, 09:50:14 PM
by TechnicianBrian
DE800KDW4 Timer Wiring Question - White-Westinghouse Dryer