Author Topic: Kenmore washer - clicking, burning smell & wet clothes  (Read 13210 times)

Offline JRJ

• VIP Member
Kenmore washer - clicking, burning smell & wet clothes
« on: March 31, 2008, 03:07:37 PM »
Kenmore model number 110.28932790
Clicking during agitate and spin started a few months ago clothes are cleaned but when removed are “wetter” than normal – replaced dogs – no change

Now there is a slight low banging noise similar to when load is off balance during the spin but it also happens during agitate and there is also a slight burning smell – not sure if its rubber or electrical.

Thanks to your forum, I've checked the lid switch, motor coupling, notches on the agitator and drive shaft (?),  all appear to be fine. Water pump was not clogged as I removed and water flowed freely. No oil or water on the floor just some black dust, rubber coupler is a little worn but fine. There does not appear to be any clothes between the basket and the tub but I cannot remove the tub because of the spanner nut. Any tricks to removing without the tool? I've tried vice grips and channel locks but when trying to turn the nut the entire tub moves even with another trying to hold it in place. A hammer and slot screw driver did not loosen it either.

Anything else I can check while I have the washer half apart?  

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Kenmore washer - clicking, burning smell & wet clothes
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 03:30:25 PM »
you can get that nut off by hitting it just right with ball peen hammer. I don't recommend it though.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JRJ

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 04:40:47 PM »
I'll order the wrench, in the meantime anything else I can check?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 06:55:11 PM »
I came across this problem in feb. My friend brought over a donated washer like yours. The dude that gave it to him said it worked fine but it would not spin out right. sure enough it would not spin very fast. I put another motor on it. same problem. I changed the pump. same problem. I ran it on wash and it agitated fine. I never once put any water in it because water was not the issue. No leaks were ever mentioned. Turns out after we let it fill up it leaked like hell. I mean bad leak right around that shaft. So my friend went over to the bone yard and grabed an old washing machine.  To make a long story short, I used essentually all of the vitals in that good looking leaker and I attached them to this old style tub and frame. All was  well. We were going to attemp to fix the original tub but we didn't because we figured his center post was so bad that replacing the doughnut would be a waste of time. Is your tub a leaker?
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline BrntToast

• VIP Member
  • Mayday Appliance Service
    • frigidaire service blog
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 09:35:54 PM »
pull motor out, then reattach wire harness so that motor is outside cabinet when cabinet is on(the wires will reach)  you are doin this so you can put cabinet on enough to plug in lid switch, now with lid switch connected and motor sitting on floor, step on motor so it wont move and run machine in spin(you are checking for your clicking(if its still there your motor is running on its start winding only))
Mayday Appliance Service
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada

The only stupid question is the one not asked

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 11:47:59 PM »

The Official parkway Buzz.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 11:50:32 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JRJ

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 01:18:53 PM »
Thanks for the responses. Results are:

No leaks or water on the floor.

Ran motor outside unit for entire spin cycle - no clicking sound from motor only the normal clicks from timer.

What should I check next?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 02:21:10 PM »
Did you look in the pump.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JRJ

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 02:36:36 PM »
Removed the pump, nothing but water and some lint, looks OK and turns easily by hand.

I read on another thread to turn the gearcase side coupler by hand, to the right I see agitation action and to the left it makes the tub spin but there is a lot more resistance to the left than right, does this mean anything?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 03:08:13 PM by JRJ »

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 03:52:35 PM »
The next thing you need to do is take the agitator out and remove the transmission. hook the motor and transmission together and run it with out being hooked to the tub. If that all works fine then a piece of clothing is lodged between the inner and outer tub. I dug a bikini out by removing the tub to pump hose and using extra long needle nose pliers. I once removed the inner tub and found a shirt wrapped around the spin tube.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 03:56:13 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JRJ

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 01:54:22 PM »
Removed transmission (gearcase) and attached to motor outside of washer, needed to lay it sideways to so I could connect the lid switch.

Ran wash just head timer and "Fill" noise(?) although the water was off - motor never turned on. Should this have worked?

Moved to spin cycle and motor started and clicking/knocking noise was present immediately. I was holding the motor so it was not moving or hitting anything - noise was from inside the gearcase.

Ran a second spin cycle and clicking/knocking noise did not start until last 30 seconds or so.

Ran a third spin cycle no noise.

Noticed a small amount of oil dripping from the air hole in the gearcase, so I braced the cabinet up higher and put the gearcase in an upright position. No more leak.

Ran another spin cycle no noise.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 03:22:45 PM »
so did ya look at the ear on bottom of the tub?
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JRJ

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 04:16:43 PM »
What am I looking for?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 05:09:49 PM by JRJ »

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2008, 07:40:07 PM »
see that ear on that white plastic piece? Sometimes that will break off yours looks fine. Grab it and try to turn the drum. Maybe those brake shoes are sticking. The clutch swings around and catchs this dude which releases the brake and the tub spins. This works because the motor is reversable. One way it washes the other way it pumps and spins. If it is dragging something in this area may be the probo.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 07:42:57 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline JRJ

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2008, 04:20:38 PM »
Moved the basket some the first time, shifted my position to get a better grip and could not move it at all. Tried again, clockwise to engage break and then counterclockwise to move the basket and could not move it.

Is this consistant with my earlier post? (noted again below)

"I read on another thread to turn the gearcase side coupler by hand, to the right I see agitation action and to the left it makes the tub spin but there is a lot more resistance to the left than right, does this mean anything?"

Next steps???

Kenmore 70 Series washer making burning smell and has stopped draining

Started by imac

Replies: 10
Views: 5990
Last post April 08, 2010, 08:25:02 PM
by JWWebster
washer works except spin cycle and has a burning rubber smell.

Started by hogslayer

Replies: 4
Views: 4573
Last post February 19, 2008, 03:50:55 PM
by JWWebster
lint on clothes at end of wash. kenmore washer top load

Started by KMZK

Replies: 3
Views: 3355
Last post March 11, 2008, 10:59:49 PM
by BrntToast
Kenmore HE2Plus Clothes Washer