Author Topic: Older Amana fridge  (Read 1628 times)

Offline Mr. screw up

• VIP Member
Older Amana fridge
« on: September 08, 2011, 12:55:12 PM »
Hi Guys.....  Great information thank you..

I have an older amana fridge it is an Amana 20 frost free and a serial number of BO20W-AG it claims on the tag to draw 6 amps and says it takes 8 oz of R-12 refigerant...

It is one that has the freezer on the bottom and I really love it but recently the temp started to rise in the box to where stuff in the freezer was mush so I read that a likely problem was that the evaporator coils in the freezer could clog up with ice which when I looked into the inside of the freezer box I could see that the back wall was completely frozen....

So I removed the contents of the freezer and placed a hair dryer near the coils and I unthawed a lot of ice which was also evident by the evaporator water pan bieng 1/2 full so I then also cleaned the steel coils undernath (covered in dust) by blowing compressed air and it seemed to hum along again...

But now I see that slowly over a week the temp is agin rising, I know there is one fan working because I can feel the heat bieng pushed out at the bottom.. where would the evaporator fan be located to see if it is operating as I am feeling that it's either the fan or a thermostat....

Also kind of funny when the machine was running really well when it finsihed it's cycle it would make a kind of klunk sound as it ended which now I do not hear...

Thanks again for any help that you can give this homeowner....

Peter

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Older Amana fridge
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 04:01:56 PM »
Your heater or termination thermostat is probably gone out. She's defrosting as always but just no heat is being applied and after a week or more the temp begins to rise. You should check the heater it is probably shot and replace the termination thermostat regardless because of it's age.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Can loud buzzing noise from Amana fridge be fixed?

Started by schwine

Replies: 2
Views: 5096
Last post January 07, 2010, 11:58:42 PM
by schwine
Amana Fridge evap fan not spinning

Started by Ronyeager

Replies: 31
Views: 9069
Last post July 15, 2011, 09:40:11 PM
by tgoods
Amana Fridge not getting cold enough