Author Topic: Maytag dryer drum won't revolve and makes noise when pressing start button  (Read 2818 times)

Offline KathyWI

• VIP Member
Sorry my subject line was a bit long....

I have a Maytag dryer with a model # LDE4914ACM and the seriel number is A1617658KZ (not sure how old it is)

I dryed one load of clothes earlier tonight and it worked fine....on the second load of clothes when I pressed the start button it sounded kind of funny (not anything loud, just kind of like something was hitting the drum inside, like when you have a tennis shoe in a dryer, but not quite that loud?)  I turned it off and turned it back on and it would not stay turned on and the drum didn't go around.  I waited a few minutes and tried turning it on again and there was a loud grinding sound.  I went back and tried to turn it on about 1/2 hour later and it sound like it wants to start but you can tell that the drum isn't going around.

Any ideas on how old this dryer is and what it might be as for repairs?  Not sure if I want to just get the part and repair or get a new dryer.....love the Maytags cause they last forever, just not sure until I can find out what the problem MIGHT be.

thanks

Offline niobrara

• Technician
Might just be the belt or idler pully, Unplug the unit ,take the top loose and the front off.Then you can see in side and see whats making noise.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
The slick side of the belt goes to the drum on this one. Click on pictures to enlarge
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline KathyWI

• VIP Member
JW....THANK YOU!!  for the pics...

My husband took the front off and it was the belt...on my way to go pick a new one up from the appliance dealer.  He just questioned about how the belt goes back on because it was not on the drum when he took the dryer apart. 

I was just going to ask how old the dryer was according to my above seriel number so I could see if I could find a manual with a pic on how to put it back on.  I was a bit confused by how to tell what year the dryer was from the one topic here.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
If the belt is down in the tub groove it won't go back on there. If the belt is twisted it will be destroyed as soon as the dryer is started. make sure the slick side is against the drum. Use zoom oil to lube all wheels and rollers.

Appliance 411 has a nice article How old is my Dryer?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 02:22:37 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Online theoldstoveguy

• Technician
Built in December of 1994. Keep it as long as you can. That is a dependable care dryer. (well made)

Offline KathyWI

• VIP Member
Thank you everyone!   We bought the washer and dryer as a set and they were brand new.....must have been back in 1995 then.  Maybe I should be knocking on wood right now but I have not had one service call or problems with either one of them until now with the dryer. 

My parents always had Maytags and one set they had lasted for almost 30 yrs!  Now that's well built!    :)
They still look like brand new......I'll keep them as long as I can

Offline RAH52

• Technician
Best machines on the market as far as I'm concerned .

Offline viking351

• VIP Member
technicianbrien.com has a quick link to "how old is your appliance"

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
technicianbrien.com has a quick link to "how old is your appliance"

How about this one?

How old is my Maytag appliance?

Hope you find our site helpful.

Maytag dryer buzzes when start button pushed

Started by hwhawkins

Replies: 3
Views: 3550
Last post May 18, 2009, 09:13:52 PM
by JWWebster
Maytag dryer dries for a while and then makes a buzzing noise and stops

Started by Aleta

Replies: 2
Views: 2696
Last post August 07, 2009, 01:11:05 PM
by Aleta
dryer drum makes funny noise and starter doesnt always work

Started by lmcevoy

Replies: 1
Views: 1440
Last post January 18, 2010, 09:33:49 PM
by JWWebster
Maytag Dryer starts up by itself. Sometimes start button problems

Started by fftoddster

Replies: 3
Views: 2362
Last post February 15, 2010, 10:33:20 PM
by fftoddster
LDG7304 Maytag Dryer - making a lot of noise.

Started by robert

Replies: 5
Views: 5110
Last post February 20, 2011, 07:33:06 PM
by jumptrout51
Maytag Neptune Dryer 4000 noise

Started by sparky823

Replies: 14
Views: 4618
Last post November 28, 2007, 10:36:02 PM
by sparky823