Author Topic: Antique Chamber Gas Stove  (Read 7932 times)

Offline rego

• Technician
  • Quality Service You Can Afford
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • Reges Service and Repair
Antique Chamber Gas Stove
« on: September 01, 2011, 03:09:01 PM »
Just got a message from a customer who want's to know if I will install a new pilot assembly in her antique Chamber stove (she already has the assembly).  I have never even seen one outside of pictures.  Has anyone ever come across one of these and any thought's on wether I should take the job or refer her to someone else.  The last thing I want to do is damage an obviously pricey appliance because I have not worked on one before.  Thanks for any advice.

:-\

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
Re: Antique Chamber Gas Stove
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 05:58:09 PM »
Top or oven pilot? Why does it need a pilot? Most pilots orifices can be cleaned with a needle GENTLY insert the needle through the orifice opening and blow through it. If it is a "no heat " oven problem, most likely a dirty pilot and a thermocouple will solve the problem. The safety should be in the storage area below the thermostat. Have done hundreds so any trouble contact me. This is my specialty,the old stoves.  I am the Old Stove Guy.

Offline rego

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 06:08:03 PM »
Thanks Old Stove Guy.  I haven't spoken with the customer yet to find out why she needs the new pilot assembly.  My worry is the word "Antique" and never having even seen one of these units.  My understanding is they have porcelein shells with a heck of alot of insulation and cast iron botttoms with thermal-pockets for the no gas cooking.  Can I access the pilot assembly easily?  Just fishing for more info because I'm in uncharted waters as far as the shell itself and accessing what I need.  I would love to hit you up for more information and will update when I talk with her to see what's going on.

Thanks,

Oh she said on the message it was for the oven, not sure if it is a dual or what yet.

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 06:39:21 PM »
Never seen a double oven on a Chambers ,oven cavity is actually cast iron. Retained heat feature. The bottom of the oven is very heavy, but slides straight out with the door open. Like the racks slide out. In the storage on the side it will have a pilot valve, with screws to shut off individual pilots. 1 for the top, 1 for the deep well, and 1 for the oven. The pilot should shut off without moving the stove, then simply unscrew the compression fitting. Once you have done that use a fine needle a just clean out the orifice. Don't put too much presssure on it. Most of the time it is ash or dirt on the end of the orifice. Blow it out and change the thermocouple. DONE.     

Offline rego

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 06:48:57 PM »
Nice!  I think that is exactly what I need to know!  I was worried about moving the oven and how to access because I didn't want to mess with the porcelein or insulation.  I will call the customer tomorrow and find out more of what is going on.  I'm assuming these are standing pilots if there is a thermal couple.  Do you light it from inside the oven cavity then when the bottom has been put back (access tube) or before sliding it back in.

Thanks a ton!

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 07:21:45 PM »
Yes before you put the oven bottom back in because the screw will adjust the height of the pilot. You want it to surround the thermocouple about 2/3 around it. There should be 2 larger flames. One goes towards burner and the other towards the thermocouple. So pay attention to how it looked before you took it out. If you have a mini-pilot (a thermocouple and pilot combined) get in touch with me and I will give further instructions. I can do them in my sleep now. If you need parts, they make some new replacement parts for them.

Offline rego

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 07:27:08 PM »
Fantastic!  I'll let you know when I know more.  Is there even a model number or were they running series...or just plain name brand...just wondering.

Thanks Again!

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 08:05:42 PM »
Several models but all very much the same. Some had high backs some low. Most had deep well cookers, some with 3 separate sections in the deep well. Timers, shelf area, salt and pepper racks. Oh yeah if she wants the pilot changed and it is a 1800-100 robertshaw pilot,explain it will have 2 more gas ports on it and be hotter in the oven when it is off. Best to clean the original unless shot. 

Offline rego

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 08:23:22 PM »
I deal with the robertshaw all the time on water heaters and pool heaters and it's always a straight swap.  I did some reading on these ovens and saw if the gas valve hasn't been rehabed every so often it should be.  The site I looked at said at least every 50 years...in this throw away society and building practices that just shocked me.  I really looking forward to working on it.  Just want to make sure I'm carefull and don't take any value away from an antique. 

I am going to be honest that I've never worked on one but confident I can take care of her problem but also tell her my liability insurance doesn't cover antiques (don't even have to call my agent for that) so she will have to understand before hand I cannot accept liability to the antique only my work on the problem at hand...that type of thing.

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 08:56:26 PM »
Liability is the same as any other appliance. The only valves that may need service are the surface burner valves. The valve grease wears out after a while. The thermostats and safety valves only need to be done when they fail. Repco Replacement Parts in Texas rebuilds the thermostats, safety valves and makes a very good valve grease. My stove is a 1938 O'Keefe & Merritt. The only thing changed on this is 2 thermocouples, and I repacked the surface valves. According to the owner NEVER had a service call on it until I got it. All the rest is original to the stove. This how I got started. Now it's 15-20% of my business. I am the only person in the area who does them I cover a radius area of about 45 miles. just did one in Roseville CA. He had been referred by another customer. Paid hotel and gas plus labor and call to do it. 110 miles each way. Made a "get away" trip out of it. 3 hours work and my wife and I had the rest of the day to  do what ever.

Offline rego

• Technician
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 09:04:08 PM »
Good to know about the liability.  Nice business getaway.  Gotta love a nice time away expensed and paid for!  Can't thank you enough for the info!  I will keep you posted.  Who know's maybe I can carve a niche up here in Michigan as well.  It's all about knowledge and doing our best for the customer...I love this line of work.

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 09:41:23 PM »
The way they build the new stuff , working on the old is great.

Offline rego

• Technician
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 09:48:22 PM »
for sure, easy diagnosis and repairable!

Offline rego

• Technician
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 11:26:53 AM »
update:  Talked with the customer and have an appointement next thursday.  She has never used the unit before because it is not a standing pilot(it's a match light) and was uncomfortable with it.  She had a pilot assembly built or found a re-built not sure and it has directions for install and the company she got it from said the tech can call them if they have questions.  I will let you know after I look at the unit maybe I can snap some pics to post.

have you ever converted to a standing pilot? I would think it's pretty straight forward.

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2011, 05:28:30 PM »
You have to find a constant gas source to run the pilot for the oven. The lines are 3/8 aluminum from the oven valve to the oven. You can install a robertshaw safety in line with the oven in the left compartment. I run the pilot line through it as well. You hold button down and light like a water heater. I have added a 3/4 T and reduce to 1/8 and install a shut off for the pilot.(inside the storage area) If you run it through the safety you can adjust the height from there.

Stove no longer heats?

Started by tyler

Replies: 3
Views: 3255
Last post October 17, 2007, 12:32:26 PM
by tyler
Magic Chef gas stove question

Started by maypo52

Replies: 2
Views: 4908
Last post October 09, 2007, 07:12:57 AM
by maypo52
maytag propane stove

Started by mthd60sprty

Replies: 6
Views: 5702
Last post November 10, 2007, 01:25:38 PM
by maypo52
Need help with opening range top for gas stove to replace burner valve.

Started by bobafett13

Replies: 3
Views: 3833
Last post January 24, 2008, 10:57:06 AM
by JWWebster
ge center burner stove

Started by JPG

Replies: 4
Views: 3755
Last post May 23, 2008, 03:51:15 PM
by JWWebster
Frigidaire Range stove will not work