Author Topic: Antique Chamber Gas Stove  (Read 6812 times)

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Antique Chamber Gas Stove
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2011, 08:25:28 AM »
http://www.antiquestoves.com/toac/index.htm Has handles and books if needed. As for capping the pilot on top you could do the same for the well,or just shut off at the valve. Use the extra valve for the constant gas to the oven for the safety. When she wants to use the well, she can light through the storage area if needed. I am pretty sure I have a pilot for the well if needed, let me know I will look. Also I have information about the adjustments on the oven and secondary or "throttle " flame in the oven.

Offline rego

• Technician
  • Quality Service You Can Afford
    • Reges Service and Repair
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2011, 09:01:11 AM »
I did contact antiquestoves.com so figured they would be a good source for handles.  Hopefully the oven pilot will still be of use for the well I'll just have to see when get it out.  Any info on adjustment's would be great.  I saw adjustable shutters on burner so am guessing that would be where I adjust but any specifics or process would sure help.

Thanks, you should add one of the beer icon's to your profile so I can buy ya one when all this is done!

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2011, 06:14:12 PM »
Keep in touch when you are ready,Get more pictures if needed. As you can see my area is not loaded with info. never got around to setting it up.

Offline rego

• Technician
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2011, 04:09:57 PM »
Just an update.  I have been sidetracked with a health problem in the family.  I got the old pilot out of the oven and istalled the new one and am going to build a bracket hopefully under the base of the storage compartment (if room and can make it neat) so there's still room for storage.  am going to cap off the pilot on manifold to thermowell and drill an access where old standing pilot is for long lighter in it's place (light from underneath in storage area).  all three burners will be match light as well as griddle/broiler.  I will be repacking the individual valves so they are usuable again and adjust air for the oven pilot.  I have a "T" for the new valve and will shut off and cap the option for burner's standing pilot.  Hope to be back there tomorrow to keep going.  The oven has a 3/4" regulator on it do you know if it calls for that much gas?  I have 1/2" coming from floor(main) and can easily step it up just seems like alot for an oven.  I usually only run into 3/4 for on demand water heaters.

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2011, 08:25:56 PM »
They NEVER had a regulator when new. I have never installed one as they work very well without. Old saying "if it ain't broken don't fix it. I have had 2 customers who installed regulators and they said never worked right since. Had 4 other customers said no problems at all with the regulator installed. 1/2" gas pipe inlet line will be fine.

Offline rego

• Technician
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2011, 11:59:10 AM »
Stumbling block...have not been able to find a cap or plug for the pilot's I'm taking out of service in town.  I have a few more places to try otherwise hoping Repco has them, I did see they have various size plugs.  While repacking the valves (you're right very easy) I was looking at the connections and think I may be missing some parts.  Whatever the guy did before I got on the job has been a bit of an obstacle as far as retracing his steps but it appears there should be a linkage between the rod for the handle control and the lever on the valve.  I found a bunch of cotter pins that will fit in the rod for the handle but leaving the operating lever on valve in the down position there is no way to attach.  Any idea what I'm missing besides part of my brain :P .  I put a few pics up.
Thanks,
TGIF!

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2011, 03:23:53 PM »
The valves have been turned 1/4 turn by the looks of the picture. Turn them back (or tighter if needed) and they should line up. If you don't have enough cotter pins use small brads. On the Thermostat valve you could leave it on the thermostat. The only time it gets gas is when the oven is turned on,so an extra small flame as long as the tube is intact and near the oven burner it's fine.

Offline rego

• Technician
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2011, 03:51:00 PM »
Good to know about the valves.  Unfortunately the old pilot tubes are junk...one bent off for the termal-well; the oven one was crimped.  Not comfortable relying on the flame adjustment screw's on either to shut them off.  Do you think I should keep trying in town to find cap's or plug's or just go straight to Repco?  Not even sure of the size.  I'm tempted to tap and plug the one for thermo-well...just don't know enough about the thermostat to do the same.  this has become quite the project...still enjoy it though.

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2011, 04:06:52 PM »
If you have 2 pilots get tubing and connect them together. Not right but it will work and even if the valves leak(bypass) they will feed back into the manifold. Looks like 1/8" plug and 1/4" on manifold.

Offline rego

• Technician
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2011, 04:11:51 PM »
I will keep trying for a plug but will route them together if needed.
Thanks!

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2011, 04:13:47 PM »
Got to get creative on this old stuff,make your own parts.

Offline rego

• Technician
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2011, 04:17:48 PM »
I love it!  It's been alot of fun!  I do enjoy walking into the part's stores and getting the blank stare:)

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2011, 05:44:31 PM »
Even better when you can get parts to rebuild a 70-80 year old stove, Then can't get a thermostat for a 10 year old stove.

Offline rego

• Technician
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2011, 05:56:18 PM »
For sure!  Had a hot tub last winter(22 years old) with a circuit board that was bad and they didn't make it anymore so was looking at a $500 new power pack.  I made a deal with the owner if I couldn't fix the board it would be no charge for the repair.  Diagnosed the board and replaced bad relay...made more money than replacing the power pack with less hassle and saved him big $.  Crazy how they are making these things now...

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2011, 06:12:12 PM »
Old stove work is 90% labor, rarely do they need parts. Maybe a $20.00 thermocouple and some valve grease. A little (or lot )of cleaning out burners ,orifices and such. Very simple machines. The fittings are very hard to find as no one makes 7/16 any more. I search all over the US and find stuff for them.

Stove no longer heats?

Started by tyler

Replies: 3
Views: 1980
Last post October 17, 2007, 12:32:26 PM
by tyler
Magic Chef gas stove question

Started by maypo52

Replies: 2
Views: 3714
Last post October 09, 2007, 07:12:57 AM
by maypo52
maytag propane stove

Started by mthd60sprty

Replies: 6
Views: 4210
Last post November 10, 2007, 01:25:38 PM
by maypo52
Need help with opening range top for gas stove to replace burner valve.

Started by bobafett13

Replies: 3
Views: 2618
Last post January 24, 2008, 10:57:06 AM
by JWWebster
ge center burner stove

Started by JPG

Replies: 4
Views: 2709
Last post May 23, 2008, 03:51:15 PM
by JWWebster
Frigidaire Range stove will not work