Author Topic: Antique Chamber Gas Stove  (Read 7690 times)

Offline rego

• Technician
  • Quality Service You Can Afford
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • Reges Service and Repair
Re: Antique Chamber Gas Stove
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2011, 12:14:49 PM »
Good idea with the shut-off for adjustment.  I found these instructions on-line, if they look good to you maybe AJ would want to post them on ApplianceDigest.

http://www.chamberstoves.net/InstallationInstructions_Rev_7.pdf

Online theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2011, 06:39:27 PM »
One thing I have found is that the oven has a damper control (as shown in picture) also on the rear of the oven. When you turn on the oven both open. If you don't bend the lower "flap" and bend the rear flap, when oven is off it will not get enough air. Then the pilot will go out. Just bend a small 1/4 edge up on both.

Offline rego

• Technician
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2011, 06:47:47 PM »
Make's sense.  How often appliance problems come down to air flow.  Considering it was made to close the dampners when off for continued heating and match lit of course it would need air for continious pilot but I never would have thought about it till it kept going out on me.  Just saved me a ton of troubleshooting.  I hope you don't mind me picking your brain over this but pretty excited about getting into the project.

Thanks for all your help!

Online theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2011, 08:18:05 PM »
I LOVE doing them. Better than the new stuff,as you can almost always save one of these. New stuff is almost 50/50 if it is worth fixing.

Offline rego

• Technician
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2011, 08:25:00 PM »
For sure!  no computer diagnostic's tracking down a bad capacitor, triac, split wire, etc.  I do like the challenge of troubleshooting the new ones but working with the basics can be comforting. O0

Offline rego

• Technician
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2011, 06:32:01 PM »
Wow, Old Stove Guy.  It's very cool but have to do some research and not sure exactly what I'm going to do.  The customer had a repair man out 3 months ago...spent an hour and a half and was never seen again.  he dismantled and disconected various lines but nothing major that I can see.  As far as she know's it's an A series.  Everying is there to make the oven a stand alone pilot with thermal-couple using a T into the manifold.  This leaves (as far as I see) a standing pilot with no thermo-couple in the middle for the three burners.  The pilot for the thermowell has been  by the manifold...thank the Lord she didn't try to use this thing.  All controls need to be cleaned and repacked with grease (no biggy).  My hope is to try and make this thing standing pilot with thermal-couple's for the oven, burner's, and thermal-well.  The broiler/griddle is no problem for match light.  Is there a way to do this?  Am I looking at 3 seperate safety valves?  Am I completely wrong?  Just hoping to get your mind turning a bit...I have pictures of everything just had enough for the day and will post tomorrow.   :D
Thanks

Offline rego

• Technician
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2011, 06:36:18 PM »
just re-read....pilot for thermal-well has been cut at the manifold...boy I'm a little tired sorry.

Online theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2011, 06:51:10 PM »
There are no safety valves for the top pilots or for the well (just like a new freestanding gas range made today,If pilot blows out gas still flows to the pilot.), It sounds like they may have tried to use the pilot line from the well to get constant gas for the pilot in the oven.??? Let me know.

Offline rego

• Technician
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2011, 07:03:46 PM »
Will do.  Just a long day and not thinking straight.  I took a ton of pictures and it's time to figure out how to post them with the new Android App..I have some thought's on what to do hopefully they will still be with me in the morning :P

Online theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2011, 07:09:54 PM »
Pictures will help then I should be able to give specific ideas.

Offline rego

• Technician
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2011, 10:30:49 AM »
Model A
You can see where someone cut the pilot line to thermal-well.  The wet mark is rust buster I put on in case I end up having to take it out.
The Pilot line for the burners is the larger line still connected.
Still researching ideas.

Online theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2011, 06:48:34 PM »
Pilot to the well tubing can be replace with 1/8 tubing as long as you have a flaring kit. If the pilot in the well is missing it is the same as the pilot in the oven. As is the pilot valve off the oven valve. You can cap it if installing a safety. Why are all of the surface valves disconnected? I have an extra well pilot if all is gone.

Offline rego

• Technician
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2011, 08:49:24 AM »
The service guy who was out before me disconected all of them I'm assuming he was going to take out the controls and grease them because they don't move.  So far I have struck out trying to install a safety for the burners no one makes them.  It just makes me a little nervous with that large of a gas line without a safety.  The customer really doesn't want it like that either and am wondering if I cap off the standing pilot could I make it a match light for each burner like the griddle/broiler.  Good to know about the well pilot I put a picture up of the current one and am doubtful if it is salvageable  if not how much do you want for the pilot you have?
Thanks!

Online theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2011, 11:25:52 AM »
The small white piece in the 2nd picture is the pilot I think ( hard to see) It should be a 1/8 or 3/16 compression fitting and has constant gas flow from the bent tubing on the manifold. New stoves with a pilot don't have safety valves for each burner just the oven. You don't have to remove the surface valves to rebuild them. They have a round "nut "on the end which unscrews, then slide the valve cylinder out . New valve grease, and done. In the 3rd picture you can see they turned the valves a quarter turn (nuts on top)to be able to unscrew the nuts. When done you turn it back. Insert the rods so when they push down the button and pull out the knob it will turn.  I use REPCO valve grease. They also are the company who rebuilds the thermostats and safety valves for the older stoves as well as other items. Repco Replacement Parts in Everman Texas.1-800-433-7146 or on line. http://www.erepco.com/ They also sell rebuilt safety valves with a better than new warranty. DO NOT USE stop cock grease, it will wear out in 6 months. Well that's a lot to absorb, let me know.

Offline rego

• Technician
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2011, 07:33:06 AM »
All good to know, I didn't think the valves needed to come completely out for re-packing the guy who was out before me had one out and dissasembled as well as other pieces from the stove then just never came back...unfortanate...give's us repair tech.'s a bad name.  I'm hoping the oven pilot comes out without to many problems so I can use it for the well because the well pilot I believe is shot.  If not I will look at ordering one I know I will need one handle and will not know about the oven control until I have it up and running.

What is your opinion on capping the larger pilot for the three burners and making them individual match light?  I know the customer would be happier with that set up.

I think I have a fairly good handle on what to do with everything else just need to get over there and get on it...at least until the next time I come across something... :D

All in all your right it is all pretty straight forward just need to put some time into it.

Thanks

Stove no longer heats?

Started by tyler

Replies: 3
Views: 3152
Last post October 17, 2007, 12:32:26 PM
by tyler
Magic Chef gas stove question

Started by maypo52

Replies: 2
Views: 4796
Last post October 09, 2007, 07:12:57 AM
by maypo52
maytag propane stove

Started by mthd60sprty

Replies: 6
Views: 5546
Last post November 10, 2007, 01:25:38 PM
by maypo52
Need help with opening range top for gas stove to replace burner valve.

Started by bobafett13

Replies: 3
Views: 3735
Last post January 24, 2008, 10:57:06 AM
by JWWebster
ge center burner stove

Started by JPG

Replies: 4
Views: 3674
Last post May 23, 2008, 03:51:15 PM
by JWWebster
Frigidaire Range stove will not work